Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

bad rc flying fields

Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 AM
roger8568
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad rc flying fields

I am new to killeen texas and wanted to find a new club. I started to fly at the rc flying site at stillhouse lake near killeen Tx. My first impression was that this was a good old boy club. And not to my surprise it was. At first i was asked the usual questions i.e. do i have an AMA card. My fears were answered just after 3 weekends at this field. On my 3rd visit two club members approached me demanding my AMA card to be put in the field frequency control area this i had no issue with. What i did have an issue with was that they asked while i was assembling my aircraft. This could have caused me to miss something important. Luckily i always double check. Then when i did get my card on the freq box i set it in the slot under my radio#. In a 2.4 ghz control area. Any moron would figure if the only AMA card that was up on the board and a pin missing would most likely be the radio it belong to. And if i am not mistaking i beleave there is....... my name on the card......... they could have asked. But nope while i was flying. One of the bright morons decided to grab my card walk up behind me while i was coming in for a landing and stand behind me. Well he distracted me and i almost crashed my airplane. Luckily i am a better flyer then he is bright. Well more to follow. But i need to go for now
Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bad rc flying fields

ORIGINAL: roger8568

I am new to killeen texas and wanted to find a new club. I started to fly at the rc flying site at stillhouse lake near killeen Tx. My first impression was that this was a good old boy club. And not to my surprise it was. At first i was asked the usual questions i.e. do i have an AMA card. My fears were answered just after 3 weekends at this field. On my 3rd visit two club members approached me demanding my AMA card to be put in the field frequency control area this i had no issue with. What i did have an issue with was that they asked while i was assembling my aircraft. This could have caused me to miss something important. Luckily i always double check. Then when i did get my card on the freq box i set it in the slot under my radio#. In a 2.4 ghz control area. Any moron would figure if the only AMA card that was up on the board and a pin missing would most likely be the radio it belong to. And if i am not mistaking i beleave there is....... my name on the card......... they could have asked. But nope while i was flying. One of the bright morons decided to grab my card walk up behind me while i was coming in for a landing and stand behind me. Well he distracted me and i almost crashed my airplane. Luckily i am a better flyer then he is bright. Well more to follow. But i need to go for now
I am betting you didn't use any of those fancy terms to their faces did ya?
Amazing how many people play keyboard commando these days. I'll give you a dollar next time if you just talk to those "good ole boys" they way you posted here. But you will be required to post a photo of your face after your in-person rant...

Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

+1
Old 09-20-2012, 05:33 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Gotta be level with ya here , , , It looks like your lookin for reason to be angry more that these guys are !

At any field where the whole card in slot and frequency pin thing is in use , normal convention is that most guys put their card up and get their pin BEFORE beginning to set up aircraft ! ..... Here is your for instance ;

You havn't yet gone to the board and begin "setting up" your plane . During this "set up" , you decide your gonna check your aileron servos . You turn on your system and promptly crash the plane of the guy who has already been to the board , got the pin , and is now properly flying his plane on the same frequency that you just switched on to !!!! Whose fault ? , , Well , certainly NOT the guy who got the pin BEFORE his TX went on , right ?

Your whole "They walked up and disturbed my preflight zen ritual" drivel makes me happy that you fly far away from where I do ....... [:@]
Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Boy oh Boy Roger, You really lit their fuse. When it comes to the "zen ritual" or procedure then I am with you and also I agree that it is wrong to ever approach a pilot while he is flying. If you have something to say then wait till they land unless it pertains to safety and then of course say something immediately. Common sense is unknown to a lot of people these days, but since your the stranger to that field you probably need to lay back and observe the pecking order as most clubs or organizations have them.
I broke a plane just recently because I was disturbed while I was into my prefight ritual and it was all my fault (not the other "helpers that I had) because I should have stopped and double checked everything.
JMHO
Fred
Old 09-20-2012, 06:30 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: init4fun

Gotta be level with ya here , , , It looks like your lookin for reason to be angry more that these guys are !

At any field where the whole card in slot and frequency pin thing is in use , normal convention is that most guys put their card up and get their pin BEFORE beginning to set up aircraft ! ..... Here is your for instance ;

You havn't yet gone to the board and begin ''setting up'' your plane . During this ''set up'' , you decide your gonna check your aileron servos . You turn on your system and promptly crash the plane of the guy who has already been to the board , got the pin , and is now properly flying his plane on the same frequency that you just switched on to !!!! Whose fault ? , , Well , certainly NOT the guy who got the pin BEFORE his TX went on , right ?

Your whole ''They walked up and disturbed my preflight zen ritual'' drivel makes me happy that you fly far away from where I do ....... [:@]
I see that you missed the 2.4ghz while you were reading. Try again after rereading.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 AM
init4fun

ORIGINAL: warningshot

You havn't yet gone to the board and begin ''setting up'' your plane . During this ''set up'' , you decide your gonna check your aileron servos . You turn on your system and promptly crash the plane of the guy who has already been to the board , got the pin , and is now properly flying his plane on the same frequency that you just switched on to !!!! Whose fault ? , , Well , certainly NOT the guy who got the pin BEFORE his TX went on , right ?

Your whole ''They walked up and disturbed my preflight zen ritual'' drivel makes me happy that you fly far away from where I do ....... [:@]
I see that you missed the 2.4ghz while you were reading. Try again after rereading.

Nope , I caught the 2.4 ghz reference , which is why I used a "For Instance" in my text .... Maybe YOU missed that ? .... Either way , sorry , the OP sounds like a dolt .........
Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question? Did you join the club or are you just flying as a guest. If you joined the club go ahead and talk to them about your issue. If not they are perfectly right to tell you the rules and the way things are done at their field. Personally, at our club members would have done the same thing. Nothing more annoying than someone showing up and complaining that
"We didn't do it that way at my old club."
Larry
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Nope , I caught the 2.4 ghz reference , which is why I used a "For Instance" in my text .... Maybe YOU missed that ? .... Either way , sorry , the OP sounds like a dolt .........
Fitting... I hear he flies a bi-plane. It's a 1.20 Sky Dolt....

Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
jim_franks

I seem to disagree. The club the poster is refuring to is one of the best clubs I have been a member of. I enjoy every time I go there to fly. My interactions with the membership has always been great. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. I was there on the day in question. My take on the whole thing was there was a lack of field etiquette shown. I don't want to say on which side or both. I can only say that if you feel unconforable flying with us, there are many other fields in the area. I enjoy my time there because there is very little drama and everyone gets along and has fun. If this was not the case I would be flying somewhere else.
Replied to the wrong post sorry Taz
Old 09-20-2012, 12:06 PM
init4fun

ORIGINAL: jim_franks

I seem to disagree. The club the poster is refuring to is one of the best clubs I have been a member of. I enjoy every time I go there to fly. My interactions with the membership has always been great. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. I was there on the day in question. My take on the whole thing was there was a lack of field etiquette shown. I don't want to say on which side or both. I can only say that if you feel unconforable flying with us, there are many other fields in the area. I enjoy my time there because there is very little drama and everyone gets along and has fun. If this was not the case I would be flying somewhere else.

[8D] Thank You for clearing that up , Jim , I KNEW just by the way he wrote it , that the Original Poster (Roger) was being unreasonable ..... He seemed to show up at your field with a pre judged notion that the fellow flyers would be "good ol boys" or whatever he called them in his opening post , , , don't sound too complimentary or friendly to me !

Roger , Lighten up , and ya just may find folks a whole lot more welcoming
Old 09-20-2012, 12:12 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jim_franks

[8D] Thank You for clearing that up , Jim , I KNEW just by the way he wrote it , that the Original Poster (Roger) was being unreasonable ..... He seemed to show up at your field with a pre judged notion that the fellow flyers would be ''good ol boys'' or whatever he called them in his opening post , , , don't sound too complimentary or friendly to me !

Roger , Lighten up , and ya just may find folks a whole lot more welcoming

+1

Bruce
Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 PM
weathervane

no matter where you go. You will always find an ***** in the group. I'm not saying that the people in question are like that. This is a hobby. It should be fun. Clubs have there way of doing things. As a new guy, you gotta work with them and there ways. Right or wrong, it is how they do things. 90% of all the clubs I visit have a great core group of people. You just can't get away from stupid people some times. Brush it off and have fun.
-Andrew
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's just me.... but opening a thread that portrays a group of guys in a poor light is not the smartest way to obtain a measure of good will and camaraderie. When I decide to do something about my dirty laundry I use a washing machine, not a public forum.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have visited and flown at many fields in my lifetime. I've really never met one that wasn't friendly or didn't throw out a welcome mat. But I am sure there are a few people around that are members that just throw out a bad persona once in awhile.

However, before I unload any planes, I walk around and introduce myself to the other people that are present. And before I drag anything out, I always ask one of the club members if I can use their field. I've never had one yet, say no! I have had a few ask if I was a AMA member though. Big deal.

Sorry the ole boy had a problem.

Frank
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I have visited and flown at many fields in my lifetime. I've really never met one that wasn't friendly or didn't throw out a welcome mat. But I am sure there are a few people around that are members that just throw out a bad persona once in awhile.

However, before I unload any planes, I walk around and introduce myself to the other people that are present. And before I drag anything out, I always ask one of the club members if I can use their field. I've never had one yet, say no! I have had a few ask if I was a AMA member though. Big deal. [img][/img]

Sorry the ole boy had a problem. [img][/img]

Frank [img][/img]
That seems reasonable. I never go to a field and just fly unless I am a member in good standing and even then I do believe I should be respectful. I am in two clubs and one thing is for sure they are very different. One basically has no rules but the basic just behave yourself and respect others, and the other club is full of rules. I do think the club with more rules has many more problems which I find rather interesting.

I fly accordingly with respect in both situations. Sometimes stuff happens and we make some mistakes. I also notice that it is different in different areas.

Disclaimer: Don't flame I am merely stating what I have seen by observation. If an area is rural with mostly "country folk" you just don't have as many issues. If an area has more "city folk" you have more problems. I have yet to figure out why that is. Maybe it is because the country flyers are out more often and not couped up in the house? I don't know, but do wonder and have seen it first hand.

To give you an example, this past spring at club "A" there was a work day. You never heard so much bickering, cursing, and complaining about stuff in your life. It reminded me of teenagers. One fellow got so mad he packed up his stuff and drove off in a flurry! Club "B" also had a work day and all had a great time, got all the work done and even took some time to chat a bit.

Guess what club has the most problems? Just to let you know this was not an unusual incident I have seen problems at club "A" multiple times in the past three years. A number of members dropped out this year. I spoke with two different ones and they said way too much crap going on all the time.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

As far as I m concerned the new guy have to know and abide by the rules, whether you like em or not.

But to go talk to a guy that is flying is a no no in my book. Let him land and then you can be the impound police.[X(]
Old 09-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Luchnia

I agree. I think it was a bad call to walk up to someone flying like that. At least let them get landed and taxied back to the pits.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:10 PM
propicts

I was also there that day ! And the person that started this thread...DID NOT TELL THE TRUTH of about 95% of this thread....including calling the Police and claiming
harassment ! Because someone asked if he was a member of the club and then asked if he had an AMA card. He went BALLISTIC, and that is being mild, nor did he
say he was thrown out of another club for his attitude !
Old 09-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I'll bet the OP was not anticipating that all the "good ol boys" were going to show up on the thread
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've flown at many different fields through the years and when visiting an unfamiliar field I make a point of looking around for any posted field rules or procedures unique to the field that I should follow. I also make a note of where and how to comply with transmitter pins, tags, or impound procedures.

Finally, and perhaps most important; I declare myself to the other flyers that I am an experienced flyer but new to their field and I ask if there are any local customs that they follow that may not be obviously posted elsewhere. I end by requesting that any infractions I commit be brought to my attention, in a friendly manner immediately after my flight.

I have not had any problems of any sort anywhere I have flown and have always received help and assistance if needed.

Sometimes, how you approach a new situation makes all the difference.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hill202

I'll bet the OP was not anticipating that all the "good ol boys" were going to show up on the thread

whoops !!!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I didn't read anywhere in the first post where anyone came up behind him and talked to/yelled at him....rather just stood there until he landed.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I was made aware of this incident as a Neutral observer and hearing it from different angles, I can see where both sides may have contributed or escalated the situation; Roger is not a member, and I'm sure any of us will agree that if you go to a field on several different occasions as a visitor you are probably going to get asked each and every time you visit, its not harrasment, its going to happen because the same Club Members are probably and most likely not going to be present on each of your different visits, therefore, they will not know that you had already been asked or had shown your AMA Card; solve the problem and join the Club if you now live in the area, and if your are here for a short time then make an effort, like someone else had mentioned in introducing yourself a little better.

The Club members who challenged Roger on the day in reference did not do anything wrong, their approach may not have been the best, but they were only doing what is expected of any Club Member in good AMA standing in ensuring that everyone is properley Insured with the AMA, and your annual membership clearly establishes this, and universally you must produce your card and display it appropriately and when a visitor arrives to your field, you can not assume they know the rules or that AMA is required, etc.

The same argument arose with the advent of 2.4; when it was argued that they didn't have to put their cards up because there was no frequency conflict, but that as we know is not the only reason you put your card up, it first demostrates to all that your are AMA, and it tells us that you are not on 72 with a possible conflict, but are on 2.4; a simple courtesy to others.

Common sense should of prevailed here. Roger should have put his Card up on the board in the appropriate spot before he tended to his plane; the members could have waited till he landed, etc; calling the Police was a little excessive and unreasonable, if one is so dissatisfied, like someone suggested there are other Clubs in the area, but be prepared to be challenged for your AMA and reminded of the rules and procedures; and it won't be harrasment if you are challenged again on subsequent visits, until you are known by the bulk of the membership.

Remember why you are in this sport, to enjoy model aviation, not to be embroiled in conflict, common sense will ensure that you can enjoy the sport.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Epic fail for the OP, and he's probably beyond help if he acted like that big of a fool in a place where he was 100% a GUEST. Where I come from, if you're on property that you didn't pay for, you show some basic respect for those who did.

For those who aren't too far gone to ever learn how to act right: When you go to a new place (RC field, gun range, someone's house, bar, etc) take a couple of minutes to get a feel for how things are done there. As mentioned above, the OP could have asked one of the club members if it was ok to fly there as a non-member and if so, what were the rules about AMA cards and such. He would have avoided any errors, but more importantly, he would have introduced himself as a courteous and respectful individual. Instead he started working on his equipment as if he had the right to do as he pleased (maybe dues paying club members get a little more leeway, but probably not) and then acted like a jerk when club members had to be inconvenienced to straighten him out. In doing so, he not only ruined his own good time but at least put a damper on everyone else's. Hopefully he'll get too upset about the way he's been treated by responsible hobbyists who want him to abide by the rules and move on to something else. This hobby has no place for people who can't be around others without starting a conflict.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.