Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy ARF

Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy ARF

Hey Scott, looks like after all my test stand work with my fuel system the 16 oz Hays tank will be closeto beingover the CG.

Getting my fuel system into the plane was another issue, since working in such a confined and tight space, so to make my life easier I used the existing tank as a locator for the header tank wrapped in foam with hard lines going the main tank. Take a look at all the pics, I think can you see what I ended up doing. I have installed this in both birds since it worked so well for me.

By the way I have been keeping track of weight, it has been a juggle back and forth, lighten here add weight here, Ha ha Lol, but consistent fuel delivery is important.

<o></o>

EDIT, The servos were put on a diet in the NovaRossi Dirty Birdy to save some more weight.

ORIGINAL: pitstop000

Scott, I’m still working out my fuel system on the Test stand, but aiming to put the 16 oz close to the CG if possible with my setup.

<o></o>

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75512.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1790392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41348.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1790393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45786.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1790394   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10574.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1790395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16023.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1790396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79473.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1790397  
Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

Just got home after being away @ work for 12 days and my DB was waiting for me, After inspecting it I was kinda disappointed, the ailerons were no were near centered on the trailing edge of the wing sat 1/8 inch above the trailing edge, also the rudder was the same way and about 1/8 inch gap. Looks like somebody else had this ARF packing was really bad. I could fix it but the Idea was to get something in the air fast, my P7 is falling apart after about 300 flights.

Has anybody else had this problem????????????, guess I'll send it back.[] Pete
Old 08-17-2012, 07:32 AM
ChiefK

Sorry to hear that the quality is fading... I got one from the first batch delivered and had none of those problems. Movable surfaces all centered (or very close), tight hinge gap. Packed well for shipping. I'm sure that you're disappointed - send it back.

ChiefK
Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also receive one from the first batch amd mines was the same way as Chiefk. Well pack and all control surfaces was tight and center!! I hope this is not the way the second batch will be. Oh well, I see Tower has them back in stock, so I will have to order another one and see what's up. I will report back and let everyone know!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Paul,

Sounds good with the header tank, and main on cg.. should be sweet ... what is the plastic unit with all the holes in it ?

Also yep servos are key in saving weight.. I also see your selling your sd10... great deal... but can't believe your selling a great radio

scott
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Just got a Dirty Birdy ARF at my great LHS, Roy's hobby in Hurst, TX on Friday.

Hinging was decent..I checked before leaving the store. Overall, pretty decent model.

The aft fuse does seem a bit flexible, though. Might be adding some glass and balsa or carbon to stiffen things up. Anyone having trouble with the flexing fuse issue? I have not read all the thread yet. A local guy had a disaster when he tried stiffening the aft fuse with expanding foam, but there are better ways to skin that cat.

Going to remove the upper surface dark blue and white trim and replace it with another pattern in dark blue and white, probably a sunburst, so mine does not look like all the others...

Going electric with mine....Turnigy 60 equivalent (bearings replaced and magnets double glued in place), either 500 K or 570 Kv, 6S 5000 or 6S 4400, Plush 80 ESC, separate RX power, prop as needed to get close to the 1400 watt limit for Senior Pattern. Have a set of DS821 digital servos not yet in a model, so they will get the nod. Spektrum RX, likely a 7010 or 8000.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

double post...argh.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 PM
WRM

I would like to know about the flexing fuse to. [&o]
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Scott

<o></o>

It’s the original tank with the kit.

It fits in the 2 front bulkheads perfectly and since its tight working in there I used it as the holder/locator for the header tank wrapped in foam.
I ended up boring even more holes in the original tank than in the pic. to the point where it weighed just about as much as some foam; it looked like Swiss cheese when I was done.

<o></o>

Quick pick of the Rossi and the header tank system on the stand.Works Great and no bubbles in the line.

for those that are interested in the NOVAROSS REX 61F, some info here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22498417&postcount=136

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

Paul,

Sounds good with the header tank, and main on cg.. should be sweet ... what is the plastic unit with all the holes in it ?

Also yep servos are key in saving weight.. I also see your selling your sd10... great deal... but can't believe your selling a great radio

scott

Name:	Db84396.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1793533  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Paul,

where did you get that test stand? looks fully adjustable ? How engine bolt to it, set holes or is the Fore & Aft engine holes adjustable also ?

scott
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sent you pm re:test stand.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM
ChiefK

The fuselage feels flimsey. I would have bet it wouldn't survive a hard landing. In actual experience, the stab/elevator/rudder doesn't shake abnormally with the engine running, the plane doesn't fly erratically as you might expect it to if the fuselage was flexing, and my first deadstick into the weeds bent the nose gear a bit, but no other damage. As far as I'm concerned, this is a great choice if you want to get flying quickly.

ChiefK
Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM
jet22b

Chiefk;
Yesterday, I had to land my DB in tall grass at my club field. On my DB, I went with the main gears are retract and the nose gear
is fix. So I kept the mains up, but I knew the nose was down. So to try and keep the damage light, I flew just above the tall grass to a point where the plane was going in. Just before the plane hit the grass, I pull full up elevator and the plane just mush into the grass!! When I got to the landing site, I was shock to find the only damage was a bent nose gear!! Less than 10 min, the plane was back in the air. I do like the fact that the Dirty Bird do have some flexing in the fuse.
Over all, I am very happy with bird!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I cartwheeled, literally, a Great Planes (50cc) Extra 300 during one of my less than perfect landings a few yrs ago. After a brief inspection, even the prop survived, I refueled and took off again. Most club members couldn't believe the plane survived so well. A 'flexible' fuse isn't the only thing that will survive bad landings.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
WRM

What are the better ways to skin that cat?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
ChiefK

Just thought I'd share this issue... I left my DB upside down in the cradle while I was working on what I thought was a engine/throttle linkage problem. It was there for two weeks. The fuselage apparently can only support it's own weight for short periods of time! Still working on a fuselage rebuild for my scratch Deception.

ChiefK

Name:	Vt58427.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1797049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62893.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1797050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30157.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1797051  
Old 08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
jet22b

ChiefK.
The pictures don't look good. Last weekend at the end of the day, I put my DB in the stand upside down to take the wings off and I saw the same thing. I move it so I could finish taking the wings off, but by the time I pack the fuse in the suv, it has pop back in place. I hope the same thing happen for you. Let us know the outcome. Got to put my DB on charge for a weekend of flying, I mean fun!!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-31-2012, 04:10 PM
ChiefK

My "dent" didn't "pop" back in place, but it did gradually resume it's original shape over a 2-3 day period. I took it to the flying field while the dent was still obvious. Everyone noticed it. Plane flew great... until the engine suddenly died following a reverse double emmelman. Fortunately I was close enough to the landing strip to land normally. My Webra now has virtually no compression (won't be buying any more used Webra's on the auction site). The prop spins with almost no effort. Going to resign it to a spare parts bin. I still have one NIB Webra Speed .61 that I was saving for the Deception. But now, Clarence Lee is drilling/tapping some muffler attachment holes for me, and I have a Jett tuned muffler coming as well. All that will go in the DB. The Deception will probably get a new Rossi.

Meanwhile, The Kaos 60 and the WM Intruder will get some flying time.

ChiefK
Old 08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

You might want to send a picture to Great planes, I'm sure they would want to know about this problem!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 AM
ChiefK

Sent pictures and a message to Great Planes earlier this morning. It'll be interesting to see if they respond.

ChiefK
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
jet22b

Chiefk;
I join the club toda!! The plane was in the stand when a big gust of wind came through the pits and blew the stand and plane over and this is what happen. The plane still fly good!! You may not see it in the pictures, but there is a crack in the center of the canopy!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

Name:	Ge94833.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1797256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54694.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1797257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78836.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1797258  
Old 09-02-2012, 02:13 AM
ChiefK

We all hate to see that kind of damage. At least you can get at the area to reinforce it, and repainting the canopy sure beats repainting the entire fuselage. With mine, I initially thought I'd have to use a bunch of filler then reshape the canopy and repaint. But surprisingly, the depression gradually straightened itself out, and no one would ever guess what it looked like in the pictures I took.

Fix it up... the plane is well worth the effort. Mine is still waiting for its new engine.

ChiefK
Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
mjduet
My Feedback: (23)

Let me start by saying I love the old Pattern Airplanes I use to fly back in the 60's and 70's. I dropped out during the late 70's and didn't return until about 8-9 years ago. I could not believe all the changes and new stuff. I not only had to relearn the things I use to know, but had to learn the new stuff. I tried some of the new stuff, gas, electric, etc. But I went full circle and found out I got the most enjoyment flying the old pattern airlanes. I still like to build, but when something like the GP Dirty Birdy 60 shows up as an ARF you just can't pass it up. The degree of fabrication and finish was excellent. As soon as I knew it was avaible I ordered two, one for me and one for a friend. Since I had back surgery comming up (I'm now in the recovery phase) I put his together first. GP should be complemented on this one. It took me only four afternoons to put it together (no retracts) and it was ready to fly that week end. Needless to say with a OS 61 FX it flew great. Our main concern was the size of the fuel tank. We ran a full tank on the ground at mostly full throttle and it timed out at 10 minutes. But I do believe I might try to put a larger tank in mine when I get around to doing the assembelly. The only other issue was the CG, I wound up putting the battery pack under (or should I say above) the servos and still had to put about four ounces of weight on the tail. There is no way you can build a model from a kit for this price and achive the same quality. I'm sure GP may of made some minor changes to facilitate manfacturing, but you can't fault the results. Let's hope someone gets the word and more of these old pattern airplanes show up as an ARF of this quality. Great job GP.

Morris
Old 09-21-2012, 01:17 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

Has anyone done some own paint scheme on the Great Planes Dirty Brirdy, like rip of the plastic film and recover or painted it in scheme/colors of own taste?Many hundreds or thousands original red/white GP Dirty Birdy is it out there now... but who has done own scheme/colors?

/Bo
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 AM
dphill2
My Feedback: (1)

Wonder why they can't offer it in white, so you can do it like you want !! I know it would be less trouble to do in a solid color.
The World Model Sky Rader we fly in Club-40 comes in 4 solid colors and we trim them up like we want !! Very important in Pylon racing....

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.