Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas cans for our gas motors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 AM
prr6100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas cans for our gas motors?

+1. KISS principle
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: acerc

Oh my God! My truck is on fire, whatsoever shall I do? Oh! Yea! Let me grab that plastic/ metal gas can out of the back. Whew! I feel much better now.

I would leave it in, to make sure it is a complete write off, then, I would get a new truck...

Gerry
Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 AM
GerKonig

This unit is from Slimline. Purchased many years ago. Still up and running. No idea of the current price, but it was not expensive. It has at least 5 years of use...

Gerry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14694.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1803138  
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 AM
RealFly

Check out Jersey Modeler. Their site is www.jerseymodeler.com. I can tell you that they stand behind the product and if something needs maintenance they will replace it. Their jugs are well designed and they pay attention to detail. Also they support the modeling community by participating in events and supplying their expertise whenever requested. Top notch in every way...
Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Dirtybird, keep it to yourself!!!!

$6 fuel pump from HK, it's the expensive non-explosive kind.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17416

I have life packs for them now but still don't put them in the van with them.

You have to be kidding. You use gas with Hobbyking?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 AM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

This unit is from Slimline. Purchased many years ago. Still up and running. No idea of the current price, but it was not expensive. It has at least 5 years of use...

Gerry

http://www.slimlineproducts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=4

$79.00 ouch!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:15 AM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Dirtybird, keep it to yourself!!!!

$6 fuel pump from HK, it's the expensive non-explosive kind.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17416

I have life packs for them now but still don't put them in the van with them.

Lipos can spark at the connector when pluged into a device
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

I sure would not use an electric fuel pump on gas.

Don't start your car then.
My car has an electric pump immersed in the gas tank.
Its electric wires and motor connections are sealed from contact with the gasoline.There is no danger starting my car.
An electric fuel pump for our alcohol fueled models have exposed wires and brushes.
Gasoline fumes and sparking brushes make a great combination for an explosion.

Minor point but this is not true, the wiring to the pump and sending unit on most every car is open to the gas. The tank and pump cannot catch on fire because there's no oxygen in the gas. Gas will not burn, the vapors do and only when mixed with air.

Watch UTube videos of cars catching fire while refueling. It's normally women setting them on fire by getting back in the car and building a static charge. When they grab the handle again the static discharges and catches the nozzle on fire. The gas in the tank does not catch fire only the neck does. Cars exploding from gas fires is too many Hollywood movies.

Think Molotov cocktails.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:31 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got this as a present http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...883.html?E+Sig + 1 gal can $5 + 3pole switch and project box from radio shack $ 8 + some tygon $3 + misc fittings and filter $5 + 12v lipo from HK $ 10= $ 71 give or take. I made a little T shaped carrier out of 1/2 ply and I have my gas on 1 side and smoke oil on the other. takes less than 30sec to fill my tank. Hand crank takes 35 turns and a minute to do the same. It works for me plain and simple. Now do what works for you; and we are all happy right?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Shakers my head at all the miss information in this thread.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

I got this as a present http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...883.html?E+Sig + 1 gal can $5 + 3pole switch and project box from radio shack $ 8 + some tygon $3 + misc fittings and filter $5 + 12v lipo from HK $ 10 = $ 71 give or take. I made a little T shaped carrier out of 1/2 ply and I have my gas on 1 side and smoke oil on the other. takes less than 30sec to fill my tank. Hand crank takes 35 turns and a minute to do the same. It works for me plain and simple. Now do what works for you; and we are all happy right? [img][/img]

I think that those that theorize about explosions due to electric gas pumps mus get out more often. I have seen electric pumps everywhere used with great success... Ignorance is rampant in this board...

Gerry
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

http://rchobbyapparel.com/index.php?...oduct_id=30019

Sealed electric pump, lipo battery, 2.5 gallon. Good stuff
Having also been a boater and seeing so many gas fueling explosions there is no way I would even be near someone foolish enough to use an electric pump for gas. That pump may be sealed but isthe switch sealed form vapor? And $195 will pay for a lot of turning a crank by hand.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM
dirtybird

It surly has a explosion proof pump and switches. Otherwise they couldn't sell it. And check the price.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Its electric wires and motor connections are sealed from contact with the gasoline.There is no danger starting my car.
An electric fuel pump for our alcohol fueled models have exposed wires and brushes.

Minor point but this is not true, the wiring to the pump and sending unit on most every car is open to the gas. The tank and pump cannot catch on fire because there's no oxygen in the gas. Gas will not burn, the vapors do and only when mixed with air.

Watch UTube videos of cars catching fire while refueling. It's normally women setting them on fire by getting back in the car and building a static charge. When they grab the handle again the static discharges and catches the nozzle on fire. The gas in the tank does not catch fire only the neck does. Cars exploding from gas fires is too many Hollywood movies.

Think Molotov cocktails.
The wires must be sealed in the tank along with the pump. The tank is rarely full.There is bound to be fumes in there and if there is any oxygen leak ( such as a lost gas cap) you have a problem. It will blow the tank apart and then you have a Hollywood type explosion. There is a bomb made where on impact a small charge blows the tank apart and the liquid gas is distributed with the air and another charge sets the mixture off. Its said to be one of the most powerful bombs made.
As for the unsealed wires in the engine compartment, thats one of the reasons they put the gas tank in the back.The old model A ford had the gas tank right above the engine. They found that was a bad idea.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
pilotpete2

When I was in HS and worked for the local camera store after school. I drove the owners Renault Dauphin deliveries and errands. The first time I got it gassed, I couldn't believe the gas tank over the engine bit[X(]. Even at only 17 I realized that was not a good plan. I drove that car very carefully
Recently I had our Forrester in for a recall that required pulling the pump and sending unit. It seemed to me it looked as though the unit mounted into the top of the tank with the wiring exiting the unit external to the tank.
Not everyone believes that the fuel pump or wiring was the reason for the loss of TWA 800, but some time later, in Indonesia I think. A Boeing 737 was taxiing out on a hot day with an empty center tank, AC had been running for a long time like flt 800. While taxiing, the center tank blew, fortunately no one was killed, a tribute to the cabin crew for sure. When the 737 CVR recording was compared to flt 800 recording, the match-up of the sonic fingerprint of the two events was very interesting, but I guess conspiracy theories are more fun!
As the worlds most interesting man would say. Fly responsibly my friends.
What all this has to do with our fuel cans, beats me[:-]
Pete
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Just about every modern fuel injected, gasoline powered vehicle has the pump in the tank these days and they've been there for over 20 years now. I don't see them blowing up everywhere I go and in fact, i can't remember of a single reported explosion related to this arrangement. But what is so unusual about wiring in the gas tank anyway? Fuel level sending units have been in there since they first existed and in most cases the wiring is exposed as is the resistive element of the sending unit. Yes, I know that modern vehicles use different measuring sensors.

Again, I'm not sure what this has to do with gasser fueling but some people seem to think it is.

For fueling I use a commercial 2 1/2 gal. plastic gas can, a cheap Hobbico or Hanger 9 hand crank pump, some DuBro or other brand sealing gas can fittings all coupled together with a home made pump mounting bracket on the container. Works good and lasts long time! Just in case it ever fails, I keep a spare pump under the front seat of my truck but have not needed it yet. No electric problems to worry about with this arrangement.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I went to an IMAC event last weekend. These guy's are Pro's. Everybody was using a Graylor electric Gas Pump except 2 guys that hand crank..
Well, I questioned quite a few Pilots, and got a mixed review on the batteries. Most of them had 11.4 Lipo's, and a few had Lifiion's, one guy had C cells for power. I am talking around 20 Pilots at that event.
These guys use plastic fuel tanks, switches for ignition, battery on switches, switches everywhere. There is gasoline in the plane with Lipo batteries most timesthey use dual batteries and high amperage servos and regulators..
I don't get the idea that an electric pump for a Gas can, ( Plastic) is any worse off than an Aircraft filled with Gasoline, switches thrown on and off numerous time and flying at differend attitudes, . Not oneperson there had a single problem with Electric Gas Pumps for many years.
The plane is not sealed as you know, so what is all the confusion about.? It's up to the person on will he hand crank, or will he use a electric pump? It's up to the person I think. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Mastertech

Think Molotov cocktails.
The wires must be sealed in the tank along with the pump. The tank is rarely full.There is bound to be fumes in there and if there is any oxygen leak ( such as a lost gas cap) you have a problem. It will blow the tank apart and then you have a Hollywood type explosion. There is a bomb made where on impact a small charge blows the tank apart and the liquid gas is distributed with the air and another charge sets the mixture off. Its said to be one of the most powerful bombs made.
As for the unsealed wires in the engine compartment, thats one of the reasons they put the gas tank in the back.The old model A ford had the gas tank right above the engine. They found that was a bad idea.
You describe a Air Fuel Bomb. That is designed to blow up. the gas tank in your car is not.

Having been a ASE Certified Master Technician for over 30 years and having changed well over 500 fuel pumps in that time, I'm quite sure you've never had one apart or you'd know these connections in the tank are not sealed from the gas.

The fuel pump was placed in the tank for two reasons. To keep it cool and quiet.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:38 PM
dirtybird

Having worked on several Boeing aircraft, the F 15,F16, and the B2 I can tell you there is many careful designs hours are put in for creating absolute explosion proof pumps and switches. The wiring is no problem as long as nothing chaffs it.Connections aren't either as long as they are kept tight.
After TWA 800 disaster I ask a Boeing engineer why the airplane did not have a nitrogen inerting system in its tank. He said every Boeing aircraft is delivered with a nitrogen inerting system but the airlines would not use them.
BTW a jet is filled with kerosine, not gasoline. Kerosine is not as explosive as gasoline.
I have been to several IMAC contests. All entrants have excellent eyesight and can fly rings around me but some are as dumb as a post
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM
dirtybird

Think Molotov cocktails.
You describe a Air Fuel Bomb. That is designed to blow up. the gas tank in your car is not.

Having been a ASE Certified Master Technician for over 30 years and having changed well over 500 fuel pumps in that time, I'm quite sure you've never had one apart or you'd know these connections in the tank are not sealed from the gas.

The fuel pump was placed in the tank for two reasons. To keep it cool and quiet.
I had one apart about 20 years ago for a Cheve Vega. The entire unit was sealed.
If they have found it was not necessary I wouldn't know. I am an engineer not a technician.
I have to admit there is slim chance that enough oxygen would get in there to cause an explosion.That still does not reduce the chance of a hobby electric fuel pump from causing an explosion.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Mastertech

Think Molotov cocktails.

I had one apart about 20 years ago for a Cheve Vega. The entire unit was sealed.
I rest my case.

I also worked on F-4's, A-10's and F16's until I retired. You're correct that Jet fuel is not as flammable as Gas. Neither is flammable without oxygen.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 PM
psb667

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Having also been a boater and seeing so many gas fueling explosions there is no way I would even be near someone foolish enough to use an electric pump for gas. That pump may be sealed but is the switch sealed form vapor? And $195 will pay for a lot of turning a crank by hand.
um again not trying to be a jerk. I bet the electric sump pump would save people from blowing up the boat if they ran it prior to starting like they are supposed to.
What is this fear of gas and electricity?
http://autoplicity.com/products/1065...FexFMgodwSsAFg
$33 plus twelve bucks for fuel line and a switch
Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 PM
gwf350
My Feedback: (107)

i also us the 2.5 gal gas lipo fueling system from www.rchobbyapparel.com and it works grate lots of power and long run time i fill very safe using mine the air *** power supply box keeps out fumes and weather and the open door lets me remove the battery for easy fast charging and the switch and push button are rubber covered to prevent fuel and weather getting to pump and battery and thay use viton in tank pickup fuel line on all fuelers and self locking quick disconect fittings with dubble springs to prevent kinking of fuel line compare apples to apples for $10.00 to $15.00 deference of auther fuelers on the market its worth the money.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15427.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1803434  
Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 AM
dirtybird

deleted
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 AM
dirtybird

I just set the fuel can on the top of the airplane and let the fuel drain in.
Here is the pump I might buy:
http://www.slimlineproducts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.