Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011

Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 AM
FE_Chris
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011

I almost drowned once. I'll never swim out again. It was when I got my SV27 when they first came out. I flipped it, I swam. The wind kept pushing the boat out farther. I was gasping the whole way back for air. I barley made it. Crappy thing about it too, there where 3 vehicles parked in front of the water and not one person got out to yell at me and ask me if I needed help....

While I was swimming in, I was so tired I kept thinking if I just stop swimming now, it can all be over. I was that tired. I kept on fighting and made it to shore. I must have laid on the shore in the mud for 10 minutes before I could move..... I was soooooooooo exhausted.

Never swim......never. I have an inflatable raft now. It works well and has seperate bladders of air incase one bladder deflates.

These stories are tragic, my sympathys go out to their familys.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:00 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're brave enough to swim to retrieve, your brave enough to swim with something bouyant with you. Even if its an empty milk jug on a string around your waist trailing behind you. If you do get tired or trouble happens and you cant touch bottom...its enough to save your life.

The object is to never get wet. Use a boat, and wear a life jacket and NEVER be alone at the lake.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM
expat flyer

All these stories are sad, but it's human nature that people will always try to save a boat, dog or person in danger.

How can you protect everyone. Even serious well equipped divers get caught out. During the french Marblehead championships in Toulon a member of the SNSM lifeboat crew died trying to recover a race boat. It was mid-May in the Mediterranean but the water was unseasonably cold, and although only in his early forties he suffered a heart crisis. Two other divers in the region died the same weekend in regular dive club activities.

Imagine the risk to children and the inexperienced.

Jerry
Old 07-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

tragically - another story - another fatality

On July 2, 2010 at about 6:05 PM, 47-year old California resident Richard S. Dietrich died after trying to retrieve a remote control boat from Watson Lake near the boat ramp.

Mr. Dietrich was visiting family in Prescott and he and several members of his family were spending time at the lake. According to witnesses Mr. Dietrich went into the lake to retrieve the boat and began to struggle.

Members of his family and others in the area pulled him from the lake and performed CPR. Prescott Fire Department responded and continued the lifesaving efforts.

Dietrich was transported to Yavapai Regional Medical Center West where he was pronounced deceased a short time after his arrival.
http://www.prescottenews.com/?option...k=view&id=3661
Old 08-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Starrett_Eye

Unfortunatly I'm having to post here because there was an rc boat related death in the city I live in, it happenend on 8-13-10, this guy was just trying to help a kid he didn't even know, DON'T SWIM AFTER A DEAD BOAT WITHOUT A LIFE JACKET !!!

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Bystanders, police and EMS did everything they could to save a man Friday afternoon in Leroy Elmore Park. In the end, they could not save him.

Police quote eyewitnesses as saying the man went into the playa lake at Leroy Elmore Park. He was trying to help a boy recover a remote controlled boat just before 2 p.m. He began to struggle and call for help.

It is not clear if he made it back on shore himself or if he was pulled out of the water. Paramedics did CPR on the man and took him to University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. Witnesses also say that it appeared that the man was having a heart attack.

UMC is treating it as a drowning case. Lubbock Police have not yet released his name.

KCBD NewsChannel 11 is following this story and will bring you the latest as it becomes available

[link]http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=12977362[/link]
Old 08-16-2010, 06:49 PM
ruku56021

These are some great stories! I'm a new member and looking at getting another RC boat. Some food for thought I guess.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Great wouldn't be the word that I'd use, tragic is more like it. Some tried to be a hero in a way but others just didn't think about the possible consequences.
This summer in Michigan there has been a record number of drownings as reported today in the media. When you read many of those stories of those who drowned, an amazing amount of them reported that the people were good to excellent swimmers. We had one person drown last Friday at a lake that I run my boats at sometimes. Some kids saw him go under, screamed for help. A kayaker and another person found him in 6-8 feet of water 30 feet from shore. They managed to get him breathing again using CPR but died Saturday. I wouldn't swim in that water as if it's deep anought to swim in this time of the year, it's weed-choked with coontail and lily pads.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 PM
res3567

Yes Ron....+1....Sad, Tragic....etc....
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 AM
summermadness

What happened to personal responsibility. If iwas on a gun range and my target fell over I would not walk out there until all the firearms were laid down and bolts open....PERIOD. That person made a bad choice.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
w3bby

Another tragic case (posted on another site), totally avoidable....
[link=http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/capital-land/2011/07/man-rescued-germantown-lake-dies]Don't swim for your boat!!![/link]
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
doby

Sadly, there are a lot of people who simply don't get the message.....
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Ron Olson

ORIGINAL: w3bby

Another tragic case (posted on another site), totally avoidable....
[link=http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/capital-land/2011/07/man-rescued-germantown-lake-dies]Don't swim for your boat!!![/link]
Another not-too bright reporter on that story by not understanding why someone could drown in "only' 8-10 feet of water.
I was kind of surprised that Misshydro's husband Joe "Joseywales" didn't post anything about his near-drowning earlier this week as another RC boat tried swimming after his dead boat and started ot drown. Joe jumped in to save him and was nearly a victim from a panicked swimmer. Fortunately he got him to calm down and got him back to shore. Joe called me later that night to tell me what happened and was still shaken hours later after the incident.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
jquid

I don't know, in the lakes I was on, the bottom was just muck. You could stick a canoe paddle 1 foot into it or more. The pond temps were not bad, but I would never go out on them. I used an old muskie rod with a floating ball and coat hanger pieces to make a grappling hook. Then put some foam around the hooks. I could usually retrieve the boat from 15-30 yards out. If it died further out, had to wait for it to drift closer. Or got out the electric boat and put a foam "cow catcher" on the front. Basically a "U" shape to catch the boat and get it close. I had an K&B 3.5 OB on it so the grappling hook usually caught it.

There was a story of a girl who jumped off a dock in one of these ponds and she never came up. Got her feet stuck in the same muck, and drowned. I guess what I am saying is have a retrieval plan, and that better not be getting in the water. Heck, put an electric motor or pump to propel the boat if the gas engine quits. Not worth getting hurt or killed for.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
kiteboarder

Oh my gosh! I just ran into this thread. I'm from Puerto Rico, and I hadn't heard about the Guajataca river incident until now. That's crazy. Poor kid.

I see all these stories of people drowning and it freaks me out. It's hard to grasp. I'm a surfer and sailor, I'm used to swimming in horrible conditions, huge surf and currents. Diving, spear-fishing etc. It's hard to imagine because I'm a strong swimmer. But hypothermia is no joke. And there are plenty of land people that love boats that are not strong swimmers. Be safe out there.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM
nickels

The picture does not look real.It looks like the bow of the boat has been added as I would think it would be crumpled and the screw driver handle compaired to the width of the skiff looks like is only mabe 12 " wide
Old 12-31-2011, 08:40 AM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: nickels

The picture does not look real.It looks like the bow of the boat has been added as I would think it would be crumpled and the screw driver handle compaired to the width of the skiff looks like is only mabe 12 '' wide
Screw driver handle? - are you referring to the oar in the bottom of the boat? Picture is real - These things are dangerous. As a moderator here I cannot say I get my kicks out of trying to instill fear into members by posting fake pictures. If the only thing you got out of this thread is a critique the picture. Then WOW

Here is another one that must also have been faked for you
Old 12-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Apismelifera

ORIGINAL: nickels

The picture does not look real.It looks like the bow of the boat has been added as I would think it would be crumpled and the screw driver handle compaired to the width of the skiff looks like is only mabe 12 '' wide
The Yellow thing looks like an oar to me.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Ron Olson

It's just a yellow plastic oar with ribs for strength.
The idea of this thread is to let you know that there is a very real danger of someone losing their life by swimming after a boat. Most examples we've seen so far have been drownings from hypothermia.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:21 AM
doby

The people who think the pics are fake are the one's we will be reading about in the future...
Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Ron Olson

Not a death but a very serious injury.
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Kayaker...ail/story.html
Old 09-21-2012, 08:36 AM
kiteboarder

^^^ Oh wow. That's one heck of a sad story. At least the guy's alive. Hope he recovers quickly. As I've mentioned before, I grew up in Puerto Rico... An island, so I've heard my fair share of jet ski accidents, boat accidents, drownings, etc.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Ron Olson

Sorry to have to report yet another one.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...g-in-su/nfDdw/
Old 07-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Ron Olson

[Sigh] One more in Denver:
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/07/2...trolled-boats/
Old 03-13-2016, 11:54 PM
Justaddwata

July 24, 2015
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A Spencer County man died after he went into a pond to retrieve a remote control boat.
According to the Kentucky State Police Frankfort post, a 911 call was received at 6:27 p.m. July 23 about a Taylorsville man who had fallen into a pond.
[OTHER NEWS: UK Police searching for theft suspect]
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Scott Herndon said Michael W. Mahurin, 41, was with his daughter using the boat in the pond near the entrance of the Elk Chase subdivision, located in the 2000 block of Plum Ridge Road, when the boat flipped.
Mahurin went into the pond to get the boat, but Herndon said he had some type of difficulty and went under. His daughter went to get help, but when emergency crews arrived Mahurin was pronounced dead at the scene.
Herndon said Mahurin’s father is also a Sergeant with the Fish and Wildlife Department and lives in the neighborhood where the pond is located.
An investigation into Mahurin's death is ongoing, but KSP said foul play is not suspected.
Copyright 2015 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Justaddwata

April 23 2015

TAMPA — A 47-year-old man died Wednesday night after trying to recover his remote control boat from an apartment complex pond, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said.

Van Murray waded into the 2821 Lakeside Commons Drive pond a little after 8 p.m., public information officer Debbie Carter said. As he continued toward his remote control boat, he slipped below the water and never resurfaced.
A stranger who saw Murray disappear underwater called the sheriff's office, and soon after Carter said the dive team was dispatched.
"One of our dive team members was near there," she said. "He was recovered pretty quickly."
Carter was unsure what caused the man to slip. The complex he died at — University Lake Apartments — is a student living complex. It lies just northwest of the University of South Florida campus. Carter did not know why Murray, who lives about three miles east of the pond at 5615 E 127th Ave, was at the complex.
She was also unsure how deep the pond was. The complex office was closed Wednesday night.
"His family responded to the scene," she said.

Retrieving remote control boat, Tampa man dies in student living complex pond 04/22/15 [Last modified: Thursday, April 23, 2015 3:24pm]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.