Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Biplane aileron setup

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Biplane aileron setup

Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biplane aileron setup

The Reactor Biplane uses 4 servos .

There are 3 options open to me:

a) Y the left side aileron servos and Y the right side aileron servos

b) Y the upper wing aileron servos and Y the lower wing aileron servos

c) Drive each aileron servo individually .

Which option to use ? Recommendations ?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Biplane aileron setup

I didn't have enough channels in my receiver to go with all 4 aileron servos separately in my AW Ultimate 50cc, so I went with your option (a). Doing so allows you to still trim right side and left side ailerons separately, as well as being able to program differential throw in the ailerons up and down travel. If you do option (b) you lose all of this capability. I've been wrong before and await someone telling me again. Just my 2 cents. Jon
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have 4 channels available and your radio can do the mixes, then do them all separately. There's no reason to add Y harnesses with those two extra connections if you don't need them. Option A lets you keep the ability to fine tune your end points, so that's the way I'd go if your radio doesn't have the channels available.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 AM
sportflyer-RCU

I have lots of channels available . I can use the following channel assignments :

Ch 1, 2 ,3 4 Aileron, Ch 5 Throttle, Ch 6 , 7 Elev , Ch 8 Rudder. I am using a Multiplex Evo 9 TX converted to 2.4Ghz using the Hitec Aurora module .
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Then by all means go with the mix as jester said. I'm also using the Hitec module in my Futaba 9-C. I picked it up when they had a special on them and it has allowed me to change over my planes as money finds it's way into my pockets and I'm still able to fly my planes that are still on 72. That was a great deal Hitec had!!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 PM
sportflyer-RCU

There is one small wrinkle in the Optima Receiver I am using. If I assign any channel for Throttle other than ch 3, the Throttle trim will work only when stick is less than 50% in ACRO mode. This was pointed out to me in the Hitec Mfg support forum. I dont think this is a big deal anyway.

So to comply my channel assignments would have to be Ch1, 2 Ail; Ch 3 Throttle; Ch 4, 5 Ail; Ch6, 7 Elev; Ch8 Rudder.

Since I use a Evo 9 TX , mixes are not a problem
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Gray Beard

I know nothing about your radio but normal operation is 1ail. 2 ele, 3, throttle and 4 rudder so you have the rest to assign and mix. Futaba has a FAQ site and a support to ask questions, EVO? I only recall one person using it so what type of mixing it has is a mystery to most people. I almost bought one when I saw it advertised but I went with the Futaba.
I have seen someone here post in the last week using one, perhaps he will come on. Unless it was you? That could be a problem!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 PM
ckreef

I have a .60 sized Reactor Bi-plane so I understand exactly what you are going through.

The way this plane is configured you're either using "Y"'s for a combined setup or extensions for an individual setup. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. It really comes down to, are you assembling at the field or does it stay assembled week to week and get transported assembled. ????

If using "Y"s then you really need to "Y" the top and "Y" the bottom not the left and right. You need to come up through the center post and if you assemble at the field then the wire going up through the center post needs to stay in place so you don't have to fight fishing a wire through there each time you go and fly

Also with the double elevator servos they need to be on seperate channels with a proper mix otherwise you would need to "Y" them and also have a servo reverser for one side.

I assemble mine at the field and fly with a Dx6i and 6 channel Rx so individual servos was not an option for me.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 AM
sportflyer-RCU

The Multiplex Evo 9 TX I am using is very flexible. You can create any mixer you want . The programming is a bit different from Futaba but once you get the hang of it , it is fabulous.

I will assemble the Plane at the field . Twin elev servos are no problem with this TX. I do it all the time .

It looks like Y top wing and Y bottom wing is the easiest .
Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Easiest yes, but it doesn't let you set up aileron differential other than doing it mechanically. It also doesn't let you use subtrim and end points to get all for throws exactly right. Sure, using separate channels means plugging in 4 things instead of two, but the flying characteristics you'll get from a perfectly trimmed plane are worth it.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
ckreef

I bought my Reactor from a club member - he did an excellent job building and configuring it. It's perfectly trimmed through the hardware linkage. If balanced correctly all the control surfaces can be mechanically set at "Zero" so no need to subtrim each individual servo.

This is the easiest flying, most smooth plane I have in my hanger. Point and angle it where you want it to go and it stays on that path. Great Planes did an excellent job designing this Bi-plane. I only wish more ARF's were of this flying quality.

The only downfall of this Bi-plane is week main gear and a week center post. For the main landing gear, come in for a landing a little hot as she will drop hard onto the tarmac unless you grease her in. With regards to the center post, once bolted together it's plenty strong but a build stand is almost a necessity for assembly/dis-assembly. If you have even a slight wind to deal with at the field when assembling then try and get someone to help hold the wings in place until you have them bolted down (so you don't crack the center post.)
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
sportflyer-RCU

Jester s1, you are right regarding ail differential and subtrims etc . Using 4 channels for ailerons gives ultimate flexibility without having to have perfect linkage alignment .

Tks for the heads-up ckreef re landing the plane. I can stiffen the LG with a cross brace but then the plane may bounce more when the wheels touch the landing strip

Does this plane need ail differential ?

Do I need to set up the upper wing to have a slight _ve incidence wrt lower wing (as I had to do for the GP Christen Eagle)

Tks
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Gray Beard

You will find that out in the trim flights, no one can say how a plane is going to act. Each planes set up is a bit different from plane to plane. I also use an old JR match box for some set ups. You can adjust the servos through it. I also don't ever use extensions, I solder in any wire I require for added length. I have had and seen too many extensions get sluggish with corrosion unless they are pulled and cleaned once in a while. If you do use extensions then pay the extra money and buy the gold plated ones.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
sportflyer-RCU

Gold plated connectors are the only ones I use. Sometimes I solder long extension wires but mostly for rudders and elevators .
Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
ckreef

I thought about putting a cross brace but the week main gear does act as a shock absorber if it slams down hard on the landing. Better the main gear takes some abuse instead of it all going into the frame. You do need to keep up a little speed on landing otherwise it will fall like a rock.

Mine was built and setup per the instructions with no tweaks needed for a very smooth flying plane. Using a saito .91 4s, It still needed 3 oz of lead on the firewall to get it to balance on CG. No aileron diff. No wing incidence.

Instructions came with three rates - low, high, & 3D. I have mine set on low and high (can't fly 3D yet). On high it is very responsive and will do riffle bullet rolls. A friend at my club had no issues getting it to hover.

One thing you will notice is when it's flying straight and level it looks like it's dragging it's tail a little but that is just an illusion by how the fuselage is designed with the tail swept downward.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

You will find that out in the trim flights, no one can say how a plane is going to act. Each planes set up is a bit different from plane to plane. I also use an old JR match box for some set ups. You can adjust the servos through it. I also don't ever use extensions, I solder in any wire I require for added length. I have had and seen too many extensions get sluggish with corrosion unless they are pulled and cleaned once in a while. If you do use extensions then pay the extra money and buy the gold plated ones.

GB nailed it right here. Although the Op has the capability to plug all 4 servos into seperate channels and dial it in, using Match Boxes or Smart Fly Equalizers is a great option. One could easily set it up to hook up either top/bottom or right/left. The devices will allow you to reverse the servos seperatly if needed and you can adjust center, end points. This allows you to match things up and dial in some differential without a complex radio.

IMO there is just no way to get all this done with Y connectors. If you doubt that statement then make some measurments and get back to us. I bet they are off more then you realize.