Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need help with 3S!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 3S!!!

Ok, so yesterday I put 3S in my Evader ST. I have the metal diff, and the wheelie bar and everything else. I have no redneck fixes and everything operated fine until about an hour ago. I was doing a donut on 3S and when I stopped the donut and pulled the trigger I moved really slow and I could hear something rubbing. At first I thought I stripped a gear (spur possible) but I noticed that the dogbones were turning still. Then while I was inspecting this, I had been pulling the trigger to see what was spinning and what was not. Everything seemed fine till smoke started coming from the wheel. That's when I notice the the drive shafts were spinning inside the wheel. It totally melted the inside of the wheel and I was able to easily remove the wheel from the drive shafts without removing the nut. It literally just fell off. I have the pin style not the hex as you can see in the photos below. Now, the big question, should I buy another set of pin wheels and some new tires, or should I try doing hex? Which is stronger? Also can lipo batterys sit for a month or two till I get some more money to buy some newtires and rims? Any reply will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63523.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1803613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37149.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1803614  
Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need help with 3S!!!

ORIGINAL: DieHard1945

Ok, so yesterday I put 3S in my Evader ST. I have the metal diff, and the wheelie bar and everything else. I have no redneck fixes and everything operated fine until about an hour ago. I was doing a donut on 3S and when I stopped the donut and pulled the trigger I moved really slow and I could hear something rubbing. At first I thought I stripped a gear (spur possible) but I noticed that the dogbones were turning still. Then while I was inspecting this, I had been pulling the trigger to see what was spinning and what was not. Everything seemed fine till smoke started coming from the wheel. That's when I notice the the drive shafts were spinning inside the wheel. It totally melted the inside of the wheel and I was able to easily remove the wheel from the drive shafts without removing the nut. It literally just fell off. I have the pin style not the hex as you can see in the photos below. Now, the big question, should I buy another set of pin wheels and some new tires, or should I try doing hex? Which is stronger? Also can lipo batterys sit for a month or two till I get some more money to buy some new tires and rims? Any reply will be appreciated.
set your lipo charger to storage it will lower the voltage to the proper charge so they don't get damaged from being put up at full charge.

as for the rim that will happen with hex's too. I've melted 2 rims cause the hex rounded off, and rounded the hex spot in the rim itself. You can use aluminum hex's to allieviate the issue a little bit, but its still present.

You can try pulling the tire of the rim slowly, or like I did once if you have a dremel you can cut the rim ,and use it to remove the rim from the tire not damaging the tire, and just get some new rims which shouldn't run more than $10 for a set. You can also boil the rim, but I don't like that method as I tried it with poor results. Also some people say you can freeze it, and the glue breaks off.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 PM
DieHarder

So where would I get steel hexes?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

id see if RPM makes a wheel for the evader. You dont have to have a hex, just a wheel made with better plastic.

As syco said, wheels with a hex can strip as well.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try these, bro... http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product.../slingshot.htm

And next thing you'll be breaking are those pins. Get some music wire.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:16 PM
DieHarder

Ok, I prefer to just get rims so I can mount the tires I want myself. No need to help me select tires, I already have my eye's on some dirt hawgs.So to me, pin sounds like it'd be stronger than hex so I think I'll stay with pin. Now, does anyone out there know of some strong pin style 2.2" wheels? (Preferably black) Thanks.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 AM
EXT2Rob

I was referring to the wheels, not the tires.  But if you like black.......I'm sure RPM has something.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:50 AM
jayjay283

can dye wheels for $3 with rit dye
Old 09-22-2012, 11:04 AM
DieHarder

Well, I like some of the rims, but it looks like their already mounted with some tires that I don't want. I really don't want to have to remove the tires after the manufacturer glued them on. I find it hard because they do such a good job.
ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

I was referring to the wheels, not the tires. But if you like black.......I'm sure RPM has something.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:48 AM
bloodpuppy

I got a cheap set of plastic ones and superglued them into the rims. Works so far.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM
cumquat

Ok, I prefer to just get rims so I can mount the tires I want myself. No need to help me select tires, I already have my eye's on some dirt hawgs.So to me, pin sounds like it'd be stronger than hex so I think I'll stay with pin. Now, does anyone out there know of some strong pin style 2.2'' wheels? (Preferably black) Thanks.
the RPM wheels do not come with tires.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM
cumquat

for removing the tires from the rims, fingernail polish remover might work. i've used it to pull my fingers apart when i accidentally super glued them together.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 PM
DieHarder

ok, so why do they show them with tires? (Not trying to start an arrgument, just want to make sure we're looking at the same page)
ORIGINAL: cumquat

Ok, I prefer to just get rims so I can mount the tires I want myself. No need to help me select tires, I already have my eye's on some dirt hawgs.So to me, pin sounds like it'd be stronger than hex so I think I'll stay with pin. Now, does anyone out there know of some strong pin style 2.2'' wheels? (Preferably black) Thanks.
the RPM wheels do not come with tires.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:38 PM
EXT2Rob

Cuz they think they look better with rubber on them?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:53 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Cuz they think they look better with rubber on them?
yep, what he said.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:13 PM
DieHarder

So if I bought a set, they wouldn't come with tires? Also as you see in the pictures above of the wheel, I had the plastic from the wheel stuck on the drive shaft. ablout an hour ago I couldn't get it off. I looks and acts like JB weld. So I was trying to crack it with pliers, and even tried reheating it with a match and pulling of the molten plastic. That didn't work, so I let it harden back up and got some bigger pliers and cracked her in half. Clean break! I had a couple of the original EVader ST rear wheels laying around, but I can't find em. Guess I'll just have to wait for some new tires and rims.