Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

CLUB 40 MUFFLERS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM
skull1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CLUB 40 MUFFLERS?

ORIGINAL: fastfredy

ORIGINAL: skull1971

I know that Jason Oliver had a cone muffler, and whipped us several times.
OK Eric your full of bull again, Jason Oliver was not using a cone style of muffler. Can we believe anythtng you post?
FF
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 PM
skull1971

I know that Jason Oliver had a cone muffler, and whipped us several times.
OK Eric your full of bull again, Jason Oliver was not using a cone style of muffler. Can we believe anythtng you post?
FF
Would you like to change the above post? OR would you like me to blow you out of the water?
[:@][:'(][:@]
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 AM
pylonboy26

Skully, I think Freddy was talking about the baffle I had in Hico.....It was an old muffler Duda Had given me which I had been flying for a while....I did have the new baffle that you saw in Waco though......so both of you are right......I confirmed this with Duda a couple of days ago because I didnt know which baffle was in the muffler he had given me....it was the cyclonic baffle in that muffler. I dont think one muffler was faster than the other though....and if it was I couldnt tell the difference. Just wanted to clear up what I was running for the both of you......YALL ARE BOTH RIGHT!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 PM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: pylonboy26

Skully, I think Freddy was talking about the baffle I had in Hico.....It was an old muffler Duda Had given me which I had been flying for a while....I did have the new baffle that you saw in Waco though......so both of you are right......I confirmed this with Duda a couple of days ago because I didnt know which baffle was in the muffler he had given me....it was the cyclonic baffle in that muffler. I dont think one muffler was faster than the other though....and if it was I couldnt tell the difference. Just wanted to clear up what I was running for the both of you......YALL ARE BOTH RIGHT!!!!!!!
That's great Jason thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM
pylonboy26

another correction.....sorry but I checked my muffler that came apart in Hico,Tx  and it wasnt the old baffle, I forgot I broke that one in a crash at that very race in waco..... I guess I have been running the new style baffle after all. again sorry for the confusion....I did tell Freddy I was running the old baffle.......so in his defense,he was lied to, not on purpose, but he was lied to.....
Old 09-17-2012, 06:02 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do PB, dont tell Skully that he was right. We dont need his head to get ANY bigger !!!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 AM
pylonboy26

FOR SURE!!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:36 AM
fastfredy

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

Whatever you do PB, dont tell Skully that he was right. We dont need his head to get ANY bigger !!!

I think it's his mouth that may get bigger?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM
skull1971

Somebody needs to get back on their meds, or it won't be the size of my mouth, but the size of my boot they are gonna need to worry about.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM
JohnMcGowan

OUCH!! That just may leave a mark Skull .
I went out yesterday to test fly my yellow raider after the crash at Harvest a month or so ago. The test flight did fine but Ive got a covering flutter somewhere on the wing that I couldnt find anywehre at the field. I swapped the yellow wing out for another skyraider's wing to eliminate the ailerons fluttering and the noise went away after the swap.....weird!!
I also had the thru bolt come loose on my muffler, even after going to a larger 6/32nd all-thread and then jb welded both end nuts on the all-thread . I would have never thought the jb weld would have given up on me so quick.... I guess its back to the drawing board again !
Old 09-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Tbatt
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Use the High Temp red silicon sealer to glue the front and back half of the muffler together. CLEAN both parts with acetone and then apply a thin coat of the red silicon to the mating areas. This works better than JB Weld. JB Weld is hard and will fracture where the silicon will let the parts expand. The stock through bolt works great if you use the red silicon. I have not had a problem using this method.

Tim
Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 AM
jstaff

John the same thing (flutter) happen to me on a new Sky Raider I got back in July. I just got back into C 40 and purchased a new Raider and LA Racer. The LA Racer has been fine. I am always careful about my linkage, etc. and could not find anything wrong. I swapped out the wing with an old one 3-4 years old and had no problems with flutter. Looking at the control horn hardware I think this may be were the problem is. The hardware wire seems smaller in diameter and not as stiff as what is in the old wing. John I have for years drilled out the ends on the TT Pro mufflers were the connecting rod goes and put in a 8-32 low carbon all thread. I put a 8-32 nylon lock nut on each end and JB the muffler half's and the nuts to the muffler. I do this for my 424 and C 40 planes. I have never had a failure with this set up. Flew this set up at Tuscaloosa.

JS
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM
fastfredy

OK Racers here's the latest and greatest about muffler mods.
Apparently there will not be any checking of mufflers at the Waco club 40 nats, however this is not saying I approve of this but prefer to have stock mufflers used at all races..
If your coming to the race then this is what I recommend you do to the new style cone baffles to make them competitive with the old style waffle baffles. Take your muffler apart and you will notice a small hole in the back of the cone baffle where the long screw goes through, just drill this out to a 1/4 of an inch. In addition you can open up the stinger with a drill bit that is just a bit smaller than .297 of an inch.
You should see anywhere from 400 to 600 rpm improvemant.

I won't see you at the races any more, but will reconsider after the CD's start checking for muffler mods at the races?
Gone fishing!
FF
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM
twitte1

Doesn't the rules say that the motor is to be stock?? Isn't the muffler part of the motor?? If you drill it out or change ANY opening it is NO LONGER STOCK!!!!

If the manufacturer is not consistent with the exact diameters of the openings, carb or muffler, you are just going to have to live with it. Or buy another motor or muffler.

This is the type of talk that is ruining all racing!!!

Trey Witte
Old 09-23-2012, 05:44 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are on mark Trey. One more reason I don't do C40 anymore. Too many variables with these guys and they way they read rules.
However if your read RCR-1 there is mention of min/max openings for carbs and mufflers.
One of my older TT40s was oversize out of the box. I mean very older.[8D]
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Oldbob

Well here is what I have found out by doing some testing on my own. A flying buddy of mine, Randy, has five TT PRO 40’s with cone mufflers and I have four, one with a cone muffler and three with the waffle. Also, I borrowed an engine from another flying buddy, Tyler, with a cone muffler and which is a very fast engine. So while I have not tested every TT engine on the planet, I have tested ten (10).

What I have found out is that there are differences in the style on cones in the cone muffles. (See photos) some may have a larger hole in the center of the cone where the through- bolt goes through and others may have a smaller hole with just enough clearance for the through-bolt to pass. From my test, limited to the engines I had in my possession, show no difference in RPM between the old waffle style and the cone style with the larger center hole. On the other hand, I found a 2 to 300 RPM decrease when using a cone muffler with the smaller center hole. All these mufflers were stock, out of the box, with three being new. The size of the larger hole is about 7/32.

With regard to the size of hole through the stinger, of the 10 mufflers I tested, the shank of a .250 drill would NOT pass through the hole of seven (7) mufflers and the shank would pass through three (3). A 17/64 shank will not pass through any of the stingers.

What was even more noticeable was the 1,300 RPM difference between the ten engines. We all know that manufacturing tolerances on these cheap engines are not the best; and we all know that the more you run the engine the better it gets. Practice a lot and burn a lot of fuel between races.

So what do we do to maintain a level playing field at the race? I know firsthand that the CD can’t be everywhere and do everything. I also know that any competitor can protest any other competitor’s equipment at any time during an event; before, during or after. (Maybe after is too late.) Therefore, each of us should have with us a 17/64 drill bit, if it is determined that this is the standard to use, and check the mufflers of the other competitors around you. If the drill bit goes in all the way, call it to the attention of the CD.

Let’s race;
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91876.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1804403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63218.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1804404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87246.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1804405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28447.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1804406  
Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
squidman
My Feedback: (2)

How ironic.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: squidman

How ironic.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
jstaff

I have 7 TT Pro 40's. Two are very close in RPM. The others are 5-15 percent apart. I run .003 head shims, and Boca Bearings ( high performance steel ) in all 7. 3 are set up with no baffles for 424 really no advantage.

JS
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Bozarth

Would someone please post the results (times and finish order) of all of the heats flown during the next big C40 race. This would allow us to see if winning pilots were consistent with there times (=flying smoooooth consistent laps) and if they were dominating. We would also see how close the heats were and allow us to try to learn what advantages were present - pilot skill on the course, pilot smoothness, better turn points, better g-management in the turns to fly the tightest yet quickest turn, etc. The goal would be to learn if a few extra hundred rpms gave anyone an advantage, resulting in consistent wins.

Kurt
Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM
THRL-CKER

OK Racers here's the latest and greatest about muffler mods.
Apparently there will not be any checking of mufflers at the Waco club 40 nats, however this is not saying I approve of this but prefer to have stock mufflers used at all races..
If your coming to the race then this is what I recommend you do to the new style cone baffles to make them competitive with the old style waffle baffles. Take your muffler apart and you will notice a small hole in the back of the cone baffle where the long screw goes through, just drill this out to a 1/4 of an inch. In addition you can open up the stinger with a drill bit that is just a bit smaller than .297 of an inch.
You should see anywhere from 400 to 600 rpm improvemant.

I won't see you at the races any more, but will reconsider after the CD's start checking for muffler mods at the races?
Gone fishing!
FF

I think Fred misunderstood me or I did not make it clear.

Yes we will be checking mufflers and a lot more at the Waco RCPRO NATS RACE.

What I told Fred on the phone was that we will not be checking the mufflers like they did did in Alabama.

We will be using a true go and no-go gage that will be passing through the "stinger"

If you look at the photos that Bob posted it will be easy to tell if the center hole of the cone has been drilled out. Note the raised area around the hole of the one with the large center hole we will also check the size of the large holes around the sides of the cone.

DO NOT DRILL OUT OR MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS TO THE MUFFLER OR ANY ENGINE COMPONENT !!!.

Let me also remind you that on LA racers the long landing gear is required even if your kit came with short gear get it changed. If you do not have any long landing gear contact me and I will try to find you some.

LA Racers are required to have the wing servos installed as per instructions in the wings. SKY RAIDERS can have two servos in wing and can be mounted in any location.

You can legally fly a SKY RAIDER with an LA RACER wing, but you CAN'T FLY an LA RACER with a SKYRAIDER wing.

JETT or Tetra bubbles tanks are legal, but no bladder tanks where the bladder pressurizes the fuel other than muffler pressure.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 AM
skull1971

I might have a set of LA Racer gear if needed for someone.

Thanks Jim, now I gotta go change mufflers again.[:@]