Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 AM
jdeltano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

I think I may be having some problems with my ignition module. Is it OK to try one from a dle 30 on my syssa?

Thanks
-Jeff
Old 09-23-2012, 03:48 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes. It'll plug in and work fine. Just keep in mind it has the quirky ignition timing curve thing going on. They go all or nothing on the advance around 2500rpm. You may not even notice that though?

More help in the form of an excellent Rcexl troubleshooting guide all the way down at the bottom of the page (post #24) here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm
Old 09-23-2012, 05:45 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jdeltano, What's it doing?

Did you try a new plug first?

~ Jim ~
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 AM
jdeltano

Thanks for the reply ahicks !

TexasSkyPilot, A new plug solves the problem for a few flights, then it will start to run badly. From looking at a plug color guide and comparing to mine, ignition trouble is indicated.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is that a few flights on the same day? If so, the ignition battery voltage may be getting low.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
skypup50

I just found this thread and started to read it backwards. Someone suggested this engine for a 1/5 Waco Bipe project. How is the company's reputation and are they here to stay for awhile? I'd like to know before I order. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Rock solid company. Growing steadily. I have heard there will be a few big new announcements in the near future, in fact.

Best engines around (since you asked!).

It would be just about the right weight for the Waco 1/5th scale. I built one with a Saito 150, and a whole lot of nose weight besides. So the SAP 180 would have tons of power for the job.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-23-2012, 10:36 AM
skypup50

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Rock solid company. Growing steadily. I have heard there will be a few big new announcements in the near future, in fact.

Best engines around (since you asked!).

It would be just about the right weight for the Waco 1/5th scale. I built one with a Saito 150, and a whole lot of nose weight besides. So the SAP 180 would have tons of power for the job.

~ Jim ~[8D]
I appreciate the help.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Hey, you're from right here in town. PM me and we'll get together, and you can see one run.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-23-2012, 12:54 PM
jdeltano

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Is that a few flights on the same day? If so, the ignition battery voltage may be getting low.
Yes, same day consecutive flights. The battery tests fine under 1 amp load, but I replaced both batteries (flight and ignition) yesterday. Three flights today with dle ignition, and then four more flights with the original ignition today with no dead sticks. Just pulled the plug to check it and it looks good. It may have just been the battery.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounded like what mine did when my battery was bad. I was only getting 3 to 4 flights on a 2,200 mA battery. The batteriy was new so of course it took me a while to figure out that it was what was causing the problem. When I first got it it took about five charge/discharge cycles to get it up to full capacity. A month later, the capacity dropped to 400 to 600 mA and never would come backupto full capacity..
Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Good call, Joystick. Good thing to remember in the future, too.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Rock Solid?
I cannot say the same.

Like I said, they have had my engine for repair for 30 weeks.
When I call the mailbox is full, and there's no reply to emails.

Subject: RE: we will have your engine to you shortly
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:34:24 -0400
Above is the last reply I have from Syssa.
Since June 18th when that email was sent, I've sent an email everyday, and I mean everyday to
Joe, Dave, Tony, Jennifer and Todd with not one single reply.

I tried to do the right thing and buy American, but this is ridiculous.
Just now I tried to call again and the mailbox is still full.
How can they run a business like that??
This is not a necessity, it's a hobby.

Doesn't it make sense that the company would try to keep people like me from having to talk bad about them?
How hard is it to answer the phone, or answer email?

Maybe one of you lucky ones that get through on the phone, or get engine repairs done the same year can help me out...

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Cosmicwind

Well, I am in the market for a 30cc gas engine (I have a plane waiting for it), and I try to buy US made as much as possible. However, I am very hesitant to place an order for this engine based on the customer service and responses that people have posted. It seems like the engine performs well, and generally people are happy with it except for the very slow response to several customers on this thread. I'm on the fence about this - any comments.

Dave S.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 AM
bob_nj

Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM
JohnB96041

Go for it. It is a great engine and you will really like it. Just be patient and it will arrive.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM
bob_nj

There's no doubt it will arrive.

It's disconcerting what doesn't happen after that...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Do they/have they ever had any kind of special pricing or coupons?

I might be able to talk myself into a Syssa if I can get it to my door for just under $400...otherwise I'm going to go PTE 36 or DLE 35. There IS a space for a coupon code in their checkout process, which leads one to believe coupons have been used before.

10% off and free ship...I'm in. Otherwise, I just can't do it.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Everybody I know except you says they have great luck with Syssa, bob nj. In the past few months, I've sent engines in for upgrades, repairs, I've bought new mufflers, I've bought parts, I've called Todd and talked to him on the phone with few problems accessing him.

I've followed the constant upgrades on the engines, sent mine in for those, and I know that Todd has brought MORE CNC machines in to enhance the processes, and in fact, Syssa is about to make some big announcements about big changes and new products. I'm sworn to secrecy, but suffice it to say, they're good. VERY good. I myself am waiting for something special, which I will feature in one of my videos. It might be a week late. Or two. But Todd always gets it out, and it's ALWAYS worth the wait. I've never seen workmanship of this caliber before. And he just raised the bar on that. But I can't tell anything more right now.

I have NO idea why YOU ALONE cannot reach him on the phone. When I can't reach him, I just try later. I always reach him within a few days. If it takes more than a few days, I find out afterward that he had a batch ready to go out, and he couldn't stop to talk. Or he was installing a new CNC machine, and it took three straight days.

I have no idea why, during the time you say he has had your engine, he overhauled two of mine and at least a half dozen others I know of in here personally, and repaired more than I can count. We're in here every single day. We talk. We know when others send engines in. We know when they come back. We help each other solve problems. We're a pretty determined bunch, and we ask questions until we get answers. Often, there is one thing that somehow is never mentioned right up until the real problem is revealed.

I'm thinking this might be one of those times.

Hey, I might be wrong.

But I doubt it.

~ Jim ~[:-]
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
bob_nj

I get the fact that you are a dedicated Syssa constituent.

I don't get why you think I'm holding something back or whatever you are trying to infer.
If you are trying to make me out to be something I'm not, I don't know why.

Like I said, please call him and ask why the six people I email daily don't reply, and ask why it is only when I call that I can't even leave a message
because the machine says the box is full.

I'm not making any of that up.

I invite you to help me.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Deandome,

You just missed the Syssa summer special (I think it's over). I just bought one for $399.00, which included extras like a free IBEC circuit and free shipping.

I believe I found it here in the RCU For Sale section. Usually, when there's a special for under $400, it's there. He's had them out there for that pricing. I do know that when I want one and there's no special on, well, there's no special on. $429 plus shipping..

You really NEED to believe me when I tell you that you want to buy a Syssa, and not a DLE this time. I'm not allowed to tell you exactly WHY, but you'll be kicking yourself if you go buy the other engines. Suffice it to say, I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard after I got my behind-the-scenes look. I'm almost ashamed of myself over the way I begged until Todd said I could have one. Remember, I said ALMOST ashamed .

There are lots of DLEs around, and they are fine, excellent-running motors for the price you pay. No denying that.

When your nice-looking, excellent-running Kawasaki is sitting at a light, and a gleaming, machined-up and chromed-out Harley pulls up and idles next to you (while you try to look casual while drooling, but can't quite pull it off), and then cruises away, you find you can't quite shake that unsettling feeling that you're riding a Kawasaki, and that some American iron just left you sitting at the light, drooling.

Just sayin'.

You gotta do what you gotta do. But sometimes - just sometimes - it's worth the wait, and it's worth a little more.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM
bob_nj

OK, so I took your advice and called again.
I am calling 860-538-2937
The mailbox is full.

Is there another number?

I still invite you to help me!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I'm just saying what I think, same as you. I'm not inferring any more than you are. As much, perhaps.

I'll grant you, it probably doesn't feel good. We're in here to help each other. We're excited about our Syssa engines.

That said, it doesn't make sense that you never got an engine back, unless there's something else going on. I've never known anybody more fair or generous, and I've seen him make some pretty amazing gestures of good faith to me and to many others, so I can't imagine why he'd be ignoring you. That leads me to the conclusion that there's got to be something here we don't know - yet.

I'm also a writer, and when something doesn't add up, there's more to the story.[X(]

Yes, I'm a dedicated Syssa enthusiast. That's true. I have some things I have to talk to Todd about, and I'm more than happy to mention this to him when we speak. But he monitors this thread, so I'm quite sure he already knows about this. My business with him encompasses two things; my personal gratification/ satisfaction / fun, and my enthusiasm over the Syssa product line.

I'll mention it, but I won't discuss it with him, because it's business between you and him.

~ Jim ~
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 AM
bob_nj

I assure you there are no secrets.
You saw the email from June where they said I would have the engine shortly.
It's fairly simple.
They got it February 10th, and now it's September 25th.

The ORIGINAL reason (excuse) I was given is that my engine is a rail mount and he had to wait
for something special to repair it.
SO, that's when I requested ANY angine back.

So there's the whole story.

It's confusing that you are friendly with him but won't help him promote or save his business.
It this business was between he and I, I wouldn't need to be asking for help here.
If I was a mnaufacturer that monitored this thread, I would try to fix this situation Immediately.
Does he really monitor this?
If so, you wouldn't have to even bring it up.
Maybe someone else can help me if you won't.

And perhaps you're right, maybe there's there's more to HIS story [X(]

I'm a grown man that's been in this hobby since 1976.
I am not unreasonable and very easy going.
This is frustrating and not necessary.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Okay,

So we're not talking about a run-of-the-mill Syssa here. It's a fairly uncommon model, from what I can discern.

Yours was unusual - a rail-mount version, and you sent it in because it needed a new case?

~ Jim ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.