Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat Volcano S30 Converted to Electric

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Volcano S30 Converted to Electric

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM
bpohl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redcat Volcano S30 Converted to Electric

Well decided to get out of Nitro and go to Electric.After seeing how fast my sons Brushless truck would run, I was hooked. My Volcano S30 once had a .26 Engine in it, but decided to go to Brushless when the engine let go. I have installed a HPI 1965KV and HK 80A Brushless ESC. These electronics are for 1/8 scale size vehicles. The ESC will handle up to 14.8V. Have not run that yet, but will test it soon. Just running one 2S Lipo right now adn it is fast. Running a very small pinion at the moment but will be getting a larger pinion later this week. Here are a few pics!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61657.jpg
Views:	3321
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1804113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82685.jpg
Views:	1658
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1804114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17616.jpg
Views:	1581
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1804115  
Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Volcano S30 Converted to Electric

looks like a nice conversion.

Make sure to turn the punch control on the ESC all the way up!

With no slipper clutch and that much torque, it could mean snapped driveshafts if you dont.

Not as much chance on 2 or 3s. But 4s, id be alittle surprised if it held up well. for that matter, on 4s its not likely to stay on its wheels. Even the earthquake with that system can flip itself onto its lid.

Let us know how it holds up.

And can you post more pics of the motor mount and gear mesh.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 PM
bpohl

I will get some more pictures of the motor mount and gear mess.  I hand built everything out of .060 aluminum plate. So far it has not been to bad with the 12t gear in it.  Yes I have the punch featured turned down just for those reasons. Plan on putting a 18t or 20t once the local hobby store gets the pinioned back in stock.  Once I get it geared better will get a video of it.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:23 PM
bpohl

Here are some closer pictures of the motor mount. Th aluminum tray on the opposite side of the motor is the battery tray. Made so I could put 2 2S lipo on top of each other. Think the next step is going to build a small bracket from the motor mount to the battery tray and install a fan on the motor. Have any good suggestions? Thanks for the complement it was my first attempt at doing this conversion. I have a old Nitro Stampedee that I will be doing the same thing to, except will use a smaller motor.

Name:	Tr49043.jpg
Views:	1584
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1804200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86847.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1804201  
The following users liked this post:
billywideman (01-18-2022)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

nice work indeed. Its simple, but simple often works best!!!

The 8e's cooling fan upgrade should be able to bolt on fairly easy. its a sizable fan, and has a place for a bolt on each corner. shouldnt be hard to make a bracket to sit over the motor to mount that fan to.

Man, I can tell you my 1st attempt at converting didnt go as well.

On the nitro stampede....and this is just my opinion...why convert that? the electric stampede is soo common. The nitro version on the other hand is a bit rare. I havent been able to find a RTR running one in a very long time. And ive seen some ARR or rollers go for a fair bit on ebay. Its almost a vintage or collectable in a way. Again, just my thoughts on it.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

On the nitro stampede....and this is just my opinion...why convert that? the electric stampede is soo common. The nitro version on the other hand is a bit rare. I havent been able to find a RTR running one in a very long time. And ive seen some ARR or rollers go for a fair bit on ebay. Its almost a vintage or collectable in a way. Again, just my thoughts on it.
I agree with this. I understand you may feel like its just lying around so why not. But like Nitrosports said, you almost never see nitro Stampedes. And from what it looks like, you like speed. And even though Stampede and speed rhyme, they definately don't mix. Just my 2cents.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

just cause they are kinda rare, I have been wanting a nitro pede.

Im sure it dont handle that well, the electrics dont and Id imagine the nitro version is even more top heavy.

but a simple 2wd nitro truck with lots of ground clearance it cool. Most nitro trucks with that much ground clearance are 4wd and far more complicated. Most of the 2wd nitros are pan chassis with not much ground clearance (stadium trucks)

And the rear exit type exhaust of the nitro pede is just dang cool.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 AM
bpohl

Well my Stampedee has been modified too... I this one years ago when the first came out and decided it was two short wheel base so used a piece of .060" Aluminum and made a new Front plate for it. Basically lengthen it 2 inches. I have had two .15 and a 2.5x Pro. in it and jsut decided had enough with the nitros. I have not converted yet but its possible.. I have changed the springs in this one and you can turn is hard to left or right, and it does not flip anymore. It alot of fun to play with. I was thinking of putting a short course truck body on it and race with the short course guys. With all the suspension travel it would be fun..

Name:	Sp45216.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1804533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72858.jpg
Views:	1082
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1804534  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
bpohl

Oh keep forgetting to ask. What is the 8e?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 PM
bpohl

Never mind figured out what u were talking about on the 8e.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 PM
fre$hjive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you spend on your conversion?Im new to this hobby i bought a volcano s30 for my son with the nitro probs and cooling down time i want to change it any advice or links you can give me would be greatly appreciated.Thanks...
Old 08-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Wegs81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
looks like a nice conversion.

Make sure to turn the punch control on the ESC all the way up!

With no slipper clutch and that much torque, it could mean snapped driveshafts if you dont.

Not as much chance on 2 or 3s. But 4s, id be alittle surprised if it held up well. for that matter, on 4s its not likely to stay on its wheels. Even the earthquake with that system can flip itself onto its lid.

Let us know how it holds up.

And can you post more pics of the motor mount and gear mesh.
Can you please tell me what you are using fire brakes