Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 35 vs. PTE36R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 35 vs. PTE36R?

I want a rear-exhaust/rear carb 30-35 engine. Being a Tower Club member, I can get the DLE 35 for $300 delivered, and the PTE is $280.

Is my feeling that the DLE is the best way to go justified? That's mostly based on the company's dominance in the market, the fact that you KNOW it will still exist in 5-10 years (PTE has ONE engine out...I hope they do well, but you never know) & probable availability of parts, but not on the engines themselves.

But the PTE has real walbro carb, very good bearings & good reviews And it looks cooler, too Price aside, which one would YOU get, and why?

BTW, if I could get the Syssa for under $400 delivered, I'd probby go for it. And I know it's probby stupid, but one of the reasons I'm not looking at the OS 33 is that they don't supply mounting posts...you have to pony up $40 extra! So that wipes out most of the Tower Club discount and makes it so close to the Syssa in price that you'd be silly not to go that way.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DLE 35 vs. PTE36R?

id go with the DLE, oot of all the 30cc class engines.... TBH they are the best bang for the buck, and i dont mind that it is made in china [8D]
Old 09-20-2012, 03:51 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

DLE all the way!

Chris923
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the Dle
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Rocketman_

I am currently flying two PTE36R's in two different models, a Sig CAP231EX and a 76-inch UltraRC Giles 202 3D model.
Between the times that I bought my first and second PTE36R there was no DLE35 rear exhaust or OS33 rear exhaust engine on the market for me to decide on. Considering that both of my PTR36R engines are performing flawlessly I believe that I would buy another one if I needed it. I took them out of the box, bolted them on the planes and went flying.
The muffler on the Sig CAP didn't last long though, it lost one of its exhaust pipes. The newer design muffler on the Giles 202 has much more time on it and hasn't broken yet. My intention was to replace the original mufflers anyway because they are loud and stuffing them with restrictors robs the engine of power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59138.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1803429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90065.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1803430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83228.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1803431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11480.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1803432   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99520.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1803433  
Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 AM
STUKA BARRY

1+ for the PTE36. Awesome engine. The mufflers are total crap, but the B&B muffler for a Sax 4.2 is a direct bolt on and will last a lifetime. The PTE36 pulls the crap out of my 19lbs. J-3 Cub, I could onl imagine what its going to do with my ESM Stuka when I get it finished. The PTE36 is a gas sipper too. I was amazed at the fuel ecomomy. I've never owned a DLE, but I know what the PTE will do, its got my vote.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:45 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Barry, I have the 36 on my ESM Stuka and it yanks the thing around with authority. You will not be disappointed. I too lost one of the pipes off my muffler but TBM sent me a new one without any drama. Hopefully it will last.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:20 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Deandome
BTW, if I could get the Syssa for under $400 delivered, I'd probby go for it. And I know it's probby stupid, but one of the reasons I'm not looking at the OS 33 is that they don't supply mounting posts...you have to pony up $40 extra! So that wipes out most of the Tower Club discount and makes it so close to the Syssa in price that you'd be silly not to go that way.

Thanks!
Deandome and anyone wanting stand offs....McMaster Carr sells ally hex stand offs in various lengths and thread sizes. These come in 1/4" increments and they are very inexpensive. I usually use the 3/8" size for 8-32 bolts. I also use a short length of outer nyrod spacer in the engine's mounting lug holes to fill the larger holes and accommodate the smaller bolts. Saves a surprising amount of weight ....

Of course if a specific application needs a custom length of stand off, the ally would need machining, but in general, I have found these to work great for most any engine installation. Try it.......
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Good to know that there is now another worthwhile alternative to buying a DLE.

Karol
Old 09-21-2012, 10:19 AM
MTK

Personally, I prefer the Bore: Stroke of the PTE. The bore and stroke of the DLE35 are 38.530mm while the same for the PTE are 3832, which is closer to that of the OS33. I'm curious how the PTE will work in my piped application. I hope to have some runs by this weekend
Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Wow, Rocketman.....you are still flying your Giles!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

Hey Barry, I have the 36 on my ESM Stuka and it yanks the thing around with authority. You will not be disappointed. I too lost one of the pipes off my muffler but TBM sent me a new one without any drama. Hopefully it will last.
I was sent the update muffler to replace the old one, but its still junk. The B&B Sax 4.2 is a high quality direct bolt on. Do you have a siren in your Stuka? I painted the cowl and empenage OD green so that mine does'nt look like everyone elses. I changes the Squadron decal too. I'm in desperate need of two 1/8 pilots though. I refuse to install the canopy without peoples.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 PM
TimBle

I'd be interested in knowing where to find a siren or build one
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: GarySS

Wow, Rocketman.....you are still flying your Giles!!!!!!!!
LOL@that.
Yes, I'm still flying both of them. The one pictured in my previous post is my gas Giles and it has had three different gas engines on it, an MVVS 26cc (piped), an MT-35cc and now the PTE-36R. The other one (not pictured) is my glow Giles and is powered by a Perry pumped OS 1.60FX 2-stroke. The glow Giles has more mileage on it.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

I too am flying the PTE 36. I bought it because of the Japanese ball bearings, genuine walbro carb. Carbon fiber reed valve petals. This engine runs GREAT! Starts really easy and is very clean. (no black shmuts on the bottom of the airplane. I only changed out the ignition module to an rcexel unit.

I love this engine and I will buy more. Right now I have 27 flights in my 20lb 1/5 scale PT-19 with the stock muffler modified with my own angled exhaust tubes.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56769.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1804238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98087.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1804239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87522.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1804240  
Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

... 1+ for the PTE36. Awesome engine. The mufflers are total crap, but the B&B muffler for a Sax 4.2 is a direct bolt on and will last a lifetime.
Hello STUKA BARRY.
Just a few questions.
Is that B&B muffler for a "Sachs" 4.2? Isn't that a much larger engine? If it isn't too much trouble can you tell me dimensions of the aluminum box, minus the two exhaust pipes? Since the diameter of the pipes is the same as the original PTE36R pipes I was wondering if it reduces noise any better than the PTE36R muffler.
Thanks for your answers.

Jtec also sells a little 3" x 3" x 1" aluminum box that has two exhaust pipes like the B&B and PTE and I wonder how effective it is as a muffler. I do a lot of wondering.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

... 1+ for the PTE36. Awesome engine. The mufflers are total crap, but the B&B muffler for a Sax 4.2 is a direct bolt on and will last a lifetime.
Hello STUKA BARRY.
Just a few questions.
Is that B&B muffler for a ''Sachs'' 4.2? Isn't that a much larger engine? If it isn't too much trouble can you tell me dimensions of the aluminum box, minus the two exhaust pipes? Since the diameter of the pipes is the same as the original PTE36R pipes I was wondering if it reduces noise any better than the PTE36R muffler.
Thanks for your answers.

Jtec also sells a little 3'' x 3'' x 1'' aluminum box that has two exhaust pipes like the B&B and PTE and I wonder how effective it is as a muffler. I do a lot of wondering.
Its not much quieter than the stock, its a manifold more than a muffler, but it wont crush or distort like the stock and it wont come loose which was one of my pet peeves with the stock muffler. It seemed like every 5th or 6th flight, the muffler was coming loose, a royal pain with a Super Cub cowl. So I driiled a hole in longer muffler bolts and with the use of washers and safety wire I thought I fixed that propblem, but the muffler had crushed during the tightening process and when the engine heated up the muffler came loose. So I told Mike Williams what was happening, and he sent me the updated muffler which really does'nt look much better. I was looking around in my shop and had found a B&B that was still in the package for my Fox 4.2 so I took it out and come to find outr, its a direct bolt on, muffler problem solved, but yes, its not much quieter.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

With my muffler extensions, the engine noise quieted down a bit... So did the rpm's. I lost 500 to 600 rpm's. With my xoar laminated 18x8 prop I now get 7400 to 7500 rpm.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM
papaoz6
My Feedback: (4)

At the beginning of the 2012 flying season, I purchased a PTE36R from Mike at ibcinyourc (great guy to deal with). I installed it in the new QB series Aero Works Edge 540 and from the very first flight, it has left a smile on my face. Great performance. Although, the original muffler only lasted 7 flights. Not a real issue because the warranty covered a replacement that is better than the original. Yes, the new muffler is still a little loud, but at the present time there isn't any muffler that I'm aware of that doesn't sacrifice some performance to gain less noise. A tuned exhaust system is about it.
To me, the PTE36R is a great engine for its size. It will rival the best in its class. I recently received my second one from ibcinyourc and it's going into the winter project.
I can't say anything bad about any of the new engines with the rear exhaust. We finally have 25% airplanes that look as good as the bigger ones because the cowling doesn't have to be all cut up to install a muffler. There is nothing worse than to see a nice side view of a plane, only to see the front view that makes you wonder if someone was taking chain saw lessons.
As long as you have good performance and have a reliable parts source for a decent length of time, it all comes down to what fits your needs and why. The only thing I would like to see from all engine sellers is an engine parts list on their website like you find at BP Hobbies.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I do have a siren on the plane. Its called a "Mighty Mo" and it came from one of those "JC Whitney" type auto suppliers. I'm driving it with a brushed speed controller and a 4S Lipo.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: papaoz6
... The only thing I would like to see from all engine sellers is an engine parts list on their website like you find at BP Hobbies.
I agree. Sometimes you'd like to have spares on hand for things like reed valves. How long will those carbon fiber reeds run before the edges start to chip?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well when you playing with your China made DLE or PTE36, be carefull what you snack on. You may not be around as long as you would like to be eating China Made food.

Imported Food We Eat and Junk We Buy

Green Giant frozen vegetables are from China, as are most of Europe’s.

Best. Arctic Gardens are OK.

NEVER buy the grocery store garlic unless it is clearly marked from the USA or Canada. Most everything else is stuff grown in people poop (even worse than the chicken poop below)!. China is the largest producer of garlic in the world. The U.S.is next.

Buy only local honey; again, most honey is shipped in huge containers from China and re-packed in the US. You probably won’t find that on the label!!

Cold-FX is grown and packed in China and is full of fecal bacteria. Doesn't work anyway, big scam. If the country of origin is not clearly marked beware.

If you aren’t sure about produce, ask an employee.

Watch out for packages which state "prepared for", "packed by" or "imported by".

The country of origin should be clearly shown on the item. Buy as much as you can from local farmers markets in season and keep a wary eye open the rest of the year.

How is it possible to ship food from China cheaper than having it produced in the U.S or Canada?

For example: the "Our Family" brand of mandarin oranges says right on the can it’s from China. Just look at the label - The MORE we purchase from China, the cheaper it becomes for them to ship it all to the US in huge container ships!

For a few more cents (literally!) you can buy several other brands.

Gold brand or Dole comes from California.

Beware that Sam's, Walmart and Cosco sells canned peaches and pears in a plastic container that come from China.

All "High Liner" and most other frozen fish products come from China or Indonesia. The package may say "pacific salmon" on the front, but look for the small print, usually on the back of the package near the bottom. Most of these products come from fish farms in the orient where there are no regulations on what is fed to these fish. (Recently The Montreal Gazette had an article by the Canadian Government on how Chinese feed the fish: They suspend chicken wire crates over the fish ponds, and the fish feed on chicken poop. Then YOU get to eat the fish!) If you search the internet about what the Chinese feed their fish that they import all over the world, you'll be alarmed at the pictures and the articles. (It’s nauseating reading!) Much of these products are in your local Walmart.

Never buy any type of fish or shellfish that comes from these countries: Vietnam, China, Philippines. Again, you can find a myriad of articles on this on the internet without having to dig very far!

Steinfeld’s Pickles are made in India – just as bad!!!

Another example is in canned mushrooms: No-Name brand comes from Indonesia.

Check those little fruit cups. They used to be made in Canada in the Niagara region until about 2 years ago. They are now packaged in China! Look at the label!

While the Chinese export inferior and even toxic products, dangerous toys and goods to be sold in North American markets, the media wrings its hands and criticizes the Obama Administration and the Harper Government for perceived errors. Yet 70% of North Americans believe that the trading privileges afforded to the Chinese should be suspended!!

Well, duh. Why do you need the government to suspend trading privileges?
Simply do it yourself!!! Buy only Canadian or US products!!

Read the labels of what you buy! If it says 'Made in China ' or 'PRC' (that now
includes Hong Kong ), choose another product, or none at all. You will be amazed at how dependent you are on Chinese products and how YOU are furthering their invasion into our food supply as well as taking jobs away from US citizens by buying their products!

**** If 200 million North Americans refused to buy just $20 each of Chinese goods, that's a billion dollar trade imbalance resolved in our favor...fast!! The downside? Some Canadian / American businesses will feel a temporary pinch from having foreign stockpiles of their inventory. But we, as Americans, HAVE to show them that we do NOT want Chinese products or they will keep buying from China. We are the end user and we must change this because they won’t.

If just one month of trading losses hit the Chinese, it would account for 8% of their North American exports. That's "less" coming in, not "more"! At least it's a start! Even slowing down the amount they get into this country helps.

PLEASE - Send this to everybody you know, and keep sending it so it continues to go around. WE have to make the difference.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 PM
WI53072

Dean,

I am very happy with my DLE 35. Got it from Valleyview RC for $349. That price included shipping, the ignition, a heavy duty on/off switch, cm6 spark plug and an opti-kill switch which works awesome. I am just begining the break in period and hope to have it in the air before snow starts flying. I also, ordered the single bolt hub conversion for this motor after the fact, also from Valleyview with free shipping. Valleyview does an excellent job. Check out the RC Guys Super Decathlon thread, I have some photo's of my assembly posted over there and pics of the DLE installed.

I will begin working on the T6 later this year. I am thinking maybe another DLE 35 or a Syssa, since I am going to sell the Saito 1.80 which is a 30cc motor. So I am thinking gas from now on if I can swing it. The Syssa is a great Engine too. I do not think you can go wrong with an American Syssa. They are really getting popular these days which is good in my opinion.

Have Fun,

Paul
Old 05-22-2017, 06:20 AM
john.j.allen

Originally Posted by STUKA BARRY
Its not much quieter than the stock, its a manifold more than a muffler, but it wont crush or distort like the stock and it wont come loose which was one of my pet peeves with the stock muffler. It seemed like every 5th or 6th flight, the muffler was coming loose, a royal pain with a Super Cub cowl. So I driiled a hole in longer muffler bolts and with the use of washers and safety wire I thought I fixed that propblem, but the muffler had crushed during the tightening process and when the engine heated up the muffler came loose. So I told Mike Williams what was happening, and he sent me the updated muffler which really does'nt look much better. I was looking around in my shop and had found a B&B that was still in the package for my Fox 4.2 so I took it out and come to find outr, its a direct bolt on, muffler problem solved, but yes, its not much quieter.
The bolts that come with B&B are much larger diameter than the original bolts, did you tap out the motor, and use smaller diameter bolts?