Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AR 6200

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
dutchy50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR 6200

Has any one else had problems with AR6200 Receivers? Lost two planes in three weeks!
Did range checks, checked Receiver battery pack under load (5 cell 6volts)
Checked all throws and conections.
Lost plane due to signal loss, plane went on its merry way into the ground with no Transmitter input. No matter what I did in trying to controll the plane, it just did not respond.
Thought we may have had signal interference at the flying field, even if using Spectrum DX7.
Had to find out if it was the receiver playing up, so installed the same receiver in my Dragon Lady 40,
Flew fine for 4 flights then lost signal, you guest it! straight into the ground. Cracked engine crankcase and carby and everything else that could break. Talk about learning the hard way!
Have now decide to throw these AR6200 receivers in the bin!!!
Will go back to my AR7000, which have given me no trouble for years.
Cheers
dutchy50
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Redback

Default RE: AR 6200

I had a problem with an AR6200 a while back. Never lost a plane but came very close to it on two occasions, almost losing an UltraSport 60 (kit) on its first flight! Like you plane just started spirally to the ground, however in my case it decided to listen to the Tx again just in time. And before anyone asks, 2000mAh 6v Eneloops freshly charged!!!

Did a whole bunch of range checks which were never conclusive, at times it seemed to be OK, other times there seemed to be a range problem.

On the other hand, I have maybe four other AR6200 that I have been using for a couple of years without any problem at all.

Maybe there was a bad batch around, my suspect one has been demoted to bench testing duties!

Terry
Old 09-25-2012, 03:42 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never see na 2000 ma Eneloop cell- are these new types? all i have seen are 1000ma or smaller
also Eneloop cells are 1 C type cells and drop voltage dramatically under loads
They are excellent low load cells -I have dozens of em used in the home - flashlights and tx.
I found the TWIcell- and checked their specs - The C rating still appears failrly low with impedance listed as 25 mill ohm
My own testing -comparison with other power cells in NIMH show that the ENELOOP tho a great tx cell - but really not suited for higher loads
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had AR6200 rx's in planes for years and haven't had any issues with the rx.

Now, I have crashed one that had an AR6200 that I would have sworn was the fault of loosing signal but as it turned out, it was a bad switch instead.

Hope you figure it out.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Redback

rmh

Got 2000mAh Eneloops in all my planes so I hope they exist. Mostly 5 cell packs but have a couple of 4 cells running ignition modules.

Zero problems with the batteries, and only the one problem with the AR6200.

PS what's my dog doing on your avatar?

Terry
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Redback

rmh

Got 2000mAh Eneloops in all my planes so I hope they exist. Mostly 5 cell packs but have a couple of 4 cells running ignition modules.

Terry
I have read that Eneloops are not a good choice for an Rx pack. They are better suited for a Tx pack only.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: Redback

rmh

Terry
I have read that Eneloops are not a good choice for an Rx pack. They are better suited for a Tx pack only.
The reason I won't use em is taken from two viewpoints
1- their specs show very high impedance
2 my own tests show that peak loads which are NOT very high -in my opinion, dropped these cells very easily - Voltage depression is only tested through load tests.
My std for even a smaller aerobatic setup is a three amp load test -

I don't want to see a voltage depression of over one (1) volt.
Everyone has their own opinion of what constitutes a good reciever battery.
Having been bit by lousy power setups on various electric powered models , I decided years back to avoid anysetup which was not the best available for the setup.
My standard of performance is the A123 cell.
These suckers will allow wires to melt before they fail to supply enough power .
IF I have to use a NIMH cell - I buy very low impedance power cells.
A one amp load test is about the minimum test acceptable -for me and this is for small or two servo gliders etc..

Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd agree on the voltage drop under a 3A load test.  Two many of the commonly used receiver battery packs get marginal on voltage when loaded.
A 2A load or more should be tested at about a 50% charge, and a 3A or more (battery dependent) at full charge.

After an experience with erratic operation of "out of the box" electric retracts - -
The retracts had a peak current draw well in excess of the rated draw.
Fully charged name brand conventional AA pen cells dropped excessively under peak draw, as did 2000ma NMIH.
A current meter was too slow to properly read the peak draw. A Spectrum AR600 and AR8000 LED "blinked", showing a momentary voltage drop below the three point whatever needed to keep the receiver happy.

It's obvious that things have changed since the "old days" of analog servos that didn't draw much current.
I also had a strange problem on another model using a 60A ESC with a built in 2A BEC and six digital servos. The problem went away when I started using an external 6A BEC.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 PM
rmh

I recently read a horror story about how a certain radio setup was worthless etc..and impossible to predict in performance.
THEN the user noted the type and size batteries he was using
Could those have been the problem - of course not