Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Problem with brushless motor

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Problem with brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 AM
thunder.in.paradise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with brushless motor

Hello

I got a problem with my custom cesa 1882 build.

The motor doesnt rev up to its maximum at full throttle, should i do some esc programing for the motor timing? or could it be a transmitter problem. I know i am using only a 4s lipo, but shouldn´t the motor rev up close to 45 000rpm on a 4s?
As it is now it feels more like 10-20 000 rpm. The boat wheight like nothing since it is a ABS hull.

All parts are newly bought from hobbyking.

Thanks for any help

My specs are:

Hull: Cesa 1882

92cm long
22,5cm wide
0.7kg (only hull)
1.4kg with everything or 3 pounds

(Boat on the picture is not mine but same type of hull)

LinkMotor: 3660SL
Kv:3180rpm/v
[/b]Diameter:36mm
[/b]Length:60mm
[/b]Shaft diameter:5mm
[/b]Max voltage:18V [/b]
Max current:94A
[/b]Idle current:2.7A
[/b]Weight:280g[/b]

ESC:
LinkTurnigy Marine 120A

Constant Current:120A
Burst Current:240A
Resistance: .0007ohm
Battery:2-6SLipoly
BEC:3A/6v
Motor Type:Sensorless Brushless
Size:94 x33 x 18mm
Weight:91g
*Speed: 100,000+rpm(2 Pole)

Lipo: KyPom K6
4s 5800 35c

Prop: 50mm 3 blade Aluminium CNC (P1.4/3x3)50m

m 3 Blade Aluminum CNC Boat Prop (P1.4/3x3)[/b]
Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Problem with brushless motor

Hi one thing i do see thats might bea problem is your prop,thats a big prop for a high kv motor on 4 s.I would have thought a 42 mm prop or arround there would work better.
Mart
Old 09-25-2012, 04:22 AM
thunder.in.paradise

Yes i realized that after some reaserch and i bought a couple of new octura props.

But there is something else, the motor suddenly drops in output when in full throttle, its losing like half of its power. Could it
be the low voltage cutoff? the esc is cold as ice and the motor too is very cold.

The battery is the only thing that isn't completely new. But it is fully recharged and should work ok?

Thanks for the help
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your motor kv is far too high for 4s LiPo. [link=http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/ElectricBoat/motor.php]Kv Selection[/link]
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 PM
diy-pro

And along with the kv being too high that means not enough torque. The system is probably pulling a ton of amps at start but is no longer able to sufficiently keep it moving at such a pace because the batteries lost the burst of initial energy. Shoot for a 1600 to 2200 kv motor and youll notice better performance for that size hull
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
thunder.in.paradise

But the 3660SL motor i use is capable of 18 volt doesn't that means it should work ok with a 4s (14,8volt) ?

and since the motor size is 540 (3660) the hull length should be ok?

noob need answers

Thanks for the help

Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 AM
ryan_t888

Often times motor manufactures will provide you with the maximum RPM that the motor can safely handle. This is generally due to mechanical restrictions of the motor. This voltage level does not tell you the proper setup. Simply put, at that voltage with no load, the motor is fine. This applies to motors in all RC's.

It does not mention what prop to use on which hull, hull length, voltage level, ect. Which makes me wonder how you ended up with a 50mm prop? That would be no where close to the correct size at that voltage and it could be very dangerous and costly picking a prop size from a hat.

Not only is the motor KV too high but the motor size is too small for a hull that large. 6s LiPo would typically be chosen for a hull that large. Then follow the methods described in the link above.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 AM
thunder.in.paradise

I am helping my father with his boat project, so how he ended up with a 50mm prop i don't know.

But as for the hull size and motor, in your guide you describe a 36 size motor works well with 55cm to 86cm hull and since the cesa is only 6 cm longer and weight about 0.7kg, so we thought that it would be ok since it is so much lighter than glasfiber hulls.

I have gone trough your guide completely a couple of times and with some live experince i think we will manage somehow.

As for the hull, my father have a couple of different hulls and the cesa is the smallest one we could find in the garage.
He used to play with gas boats and most of them were really big.

We tested the boat today with a proper 4s lipo and a alu 2 blade 42mm prop

the boat were incredible fast and the motor is to strong for the hull, at half throttle from standing still the boat jump off the water.
At a straight line with no waves at all we could manage 2/3 throttle without any chrashes. I will check tomorrow with gps how fast it is.

We only run for 15min and i checked the temp afterwards and everything were really cool, you could touch everything without problem.

As for the first problem mentioned in the begining of the thread, that were simply a old broken 4s lipo situation and the over sized prop.

We want to buy a proper hull for the 3660Sl 3180kv motor so any suggestions is welcomed

And Ryan thanks for the advice so far

Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 AM
ryan_t888

I would do the opposite. Find a better motor for the hull. That motor is best suited to 3s LiPo. If you want to use it, a 68cm hull and 3s would be a much better match. Same 42mm prop and all.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 AM
thunder.in.paradise

Well my father is complaining about the cesa hull's quality and rigidity, he wants a fiberglass hull so a 68cm long mono hull will do