Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Muncie 2012

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 PM
JoeR
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Muncie 2012

ORIGINAL: dmowery

-as loke anything else the price seems to be a stumbling block for new people-more later as I work on it
I agree that a large part of the issue is cost of a skydiver. I'm interested in giving it a try but not so interested that I want to spend $300 or so for one at this point. Maybe the second one. (shameless plug- if anyone has a skydiver they'd like to sell please contact me) The other issue as I see it is that it takes a big plane to get a skydiver in the air. Imagine a skydiver that one could drop from a Mulitplex Fun Cub, that would be great in this electric world. What size skydiver would that allow? I'd have to see how much a cub could carry. 1-2 lbs maybe? Also one needs two people to get in the air. And finally it may just be that its a niche activity. I suppose too if Horizon were to come out with one it would have a huge affect on this facet of the hobby, especially it they would hit a $99 or less price point. My thoughts as an interested outsider.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:32 PM
dmowery

Due to the time and effort to make a chute and all the time spent reserching to make it preform and cost of trial and error on us that mfg the jumper and chuts I doute that any of us will ever see a cost under your price of $99.00 dollars -as tou may or amy not know the chutes are sewn by hand and rigged by hand and the labor alone cost that much to get done -as far as a plane look at my web site and you can see I have used a standard 40 trainer with taller gear to drop from -and yes ir takes two and always will unless you put plane on auto pilot or something
Thats all I ahve -any body else care to jummp in on this
Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 PM
JoeR

I can certainly appreciate the development and manufacturing time that it takes. I do feel that until someone is willing to invest in offshore mass production to get the price down this will remain a small niche in the spectrum of RC activities. Once there is an entry level product you"ll get more people interested and then some will want to move up to a better diver and that's where the custom shops like yours comes in. Well, that's my theory anyway.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM
dmowery

In that case -You do the ground work and make it happin -or just use a ol Hankie and a mini GI Joe and go fo it
The time and cost is never going to happin as -you can buy a TOY one or get something that will preform as it shoule -Kinda like a Soap Box racer to a Sports car -they all get down the hill but some do it right-Wish you luck on your quest -Sorry we cant help
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM
JoeR

I don't have that entrepreneurial spirit, wish I did. But I have more interest in planes and helis and other things outside of RC. Remember my initial comments were in response to your statement on getting the price point lower. I was drawing on what Eflite and Horizon have done with the micro RC and bind and fly segment of the RC world. And looking at ARFs, who would have thought 10 or 15 years ago that we'd see such good quality at such low prices.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:19 PM
RiaanLR

Labour cost and again labour cost. Thats where the money goes into. And then quality. Buy cheap and get cheap. Time and much more time is spend to make these jumpers and chutes. DIY that is the cheap way and nobody can stop you from doing it. It is like corex before electric and HK made it possible to fly decend cheaper planes.
You will only understand all of this ones you try to build one yourself. Expensive, yes. I can not custom build a chute for somebody and just cover the cost.Mass production means people that needs to cut sew and string a chute. And then we are back to people and thatis labour which is cost. Machines can not do this.
I would also like to see more people getting involed in this side of the hobby. Sure would like inputs on how todo it cheaper.

Greetings
Riaan
www.rcskydive.co.za

Old 09-23-2012, 01:58 PM
JoeR

I'm not sure what takes the time. I imagine it would be the sewing, stringing, and "tuning" the chute. If you could pay a seamstress to do the sewing (assuming he/she would be cheaper than your time) and then the real value add that takes the most knowledge/skill the stringing and "tuning" would be done by the expensive people (you) you could reduce the cost. Perhaps that's what you do already. Unless you're only producing a very low quantity where you don't have something else to do to "make money" while the other person is sewing.

But you guys know your business better than I. I'm just an outsider looking in, wishing for a cheaper way to give this part of the RC hobby a try.

I do feel that if this activity is to have a chance to grow the cost of entry needs to come down. Someone has to have the capital to support higher volume production with cheaper labor to get the cost down.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to take this thread so far off course.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM
dmowery

I havent seen a chute and jumper kit come off at any less that 6 to 8 hours laboe not counting parts and material and no electronics -sewing is a big time concumming as no stich can be bad and rigging takea a fair amount of time -cutting the material for jumpers -My style takes time and i am a pretty darn fast worker -even material coast ai over 13.00 per yard -sewing time at 60.00 or more to hire out -couple hours rigging -Nope cant do it chepe and neather can any HUGE company -I will sell you a Jumper kit or you can make one and I will sell you a kit to make a chute for say 50.00 bucks with material cut and enough cord to rig it and you let us know just how long it took you to swew and rig and get one to work -Our knowledge and experance as most of us are ex jumpers and know what we are doing -and as you know or should know knowledge cost -aint free
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Banzai55

There is one other factor in the low numbers or participants. This takes two pilots! Always! One guy to fly the plane and one guy to fly the man. It's hard to find two guys dedicated to doing their half well. And you have to have the right equipment...... and practice, practice, practice.....
Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Riaan,

Look familiar, oops, I hit the camera man with the skydiver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36219.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1804630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67146.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1804631  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 AM
RiaanLR