Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

shootin talk

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shootin talk

i emailed one of the Henry techs a few days ago and just remembered to check my email today. i asked about the age and requested a manual. they said mine was made 1/16/02. i wasnt expecting the exact date, but it's always interesting to know that stuff. this is officially my youngest gun, and will likely hold that title for some time. i forgot to add my address, so i wont get the manual for a little while.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 AM
J.D.T

I bought my boy a H001T for his first birthday, Fit and finish is great plus a lifetime warranty from the factory. I got it at the engraver right now getting Happy 1st Birthday and his name engraved into that cool looking octagon barrell. I will probably buy a cricket or rascal 22 to start him off on but they are too cheasy for a first birthday gun.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM
cumquat

when i have kids i plan to track down a savage 24 or get a 42 for them. that was my first gun and it has limitless uses. being a combination gun, it can be used to take anything from chipmunks to deer. heck, it can take a squirrel with one shot then flip the selector and take a duck out of the sky without reloading! if i cant find a decent 24 in the cal/gauge i want, then he/she'll be getting a thompson center encore. i like single shots for first time shooters, there is no way for a second round to be accidently loaded and there is no chance of a malfunction.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Mister Sinister

Hooray guns!!

I'm definitely old school when it comes to firearms. Iloathe anything with composite plastic on it.
My two most recent purchases are a Ruger GP100 6" barrel and a 1938 Mosin Nagant (no pics yet), to which Iadded a decent scope. $110 with the full Soviet accessory kit from Centerfire Systems!! These guns are stupid cheap now, but mark my words, they're getting snapped up quick, and will go up in proce dramatically in the next decade Ibet.
My father has been collecting guns for 60 years, so his collection is nuts. Everything the man has id old, valuable, or both. My favorite is his Rockola M1. He gave me a his USGovernment issue WWIIRemington Rand 1911A a couple years ago, and Ilove that thing like a child. The fact that it quite possibly could have been used to cap a few Nazis in its time makes me all tingly.

Ichanged out the grips to the Hogue style. It just feels nicer in my hand.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Blkft1

Man, those are very NICE! I had the 6" SS GP100 with the full underlug at one time but sold it, kinda wish I kept it, picked up this 4" awhile back and just love it. Almost bought a SS Security Six for $325 cash OTD a coupla months back but the pawn shop clerk slapped it shut HARD "hollywood style" and bent the crane as far as I could tell, noticable gap increase at front of crane and gun no longer functioned AT ALL,,,what a shame. Mosins are cool too, had the M38 Carbine awhile back also but DANG, that metal buttplate plus 200Gr Winchester loads would beat the crap out'a me . My nephew has a 1938 91/30 that seems to me alittle more enjoyable to shoot and is fairly precise using the same ammo, it is his first gun. Took him to the range and told him "you'll maybe shoot 5 rnds before your done.", he rolled his eyes at me,,,after 5 rounds he was done for the day, thankfully I brought some other stuff to shoot. He wasn't too fond of shooting .357 125Gr'rs out my Ruger LCR either, neither was I after a few cylinders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71987.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1807518  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Mister Sinister

Nice!!Iprobably SHOULDhave bought the shorter barrel for practicality, but you don't buy a .357 Magnum for practicality anyway, lol.

Everything about the Mosin is brutal, and screams Soviet Union. From the metal butt-plate, to the nigh-impossible to operate safety, to the ridiculous length/weight of the thing, to trying to clean it. Ilove it!!It all makes sense when you consider more of them were probably used as clubs than actual firearms.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Blkft1

Thanks! Yeah, I WAS thinkin practicality when I bought the LCR in .357,,,hmmm,,,I mainly shoot + P's out'a it now, so far its been a great unit and alot of fun to shoot. Next revolver[s] on my list is the Alaskan 44mag and a NAA Blackwidow in .22Mag,,,,talk about extremes .
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Mister Sinister

Irecommend every gun enthusiast own at least one .22. You gotta have somehting cheap to shoot!!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: Mister Sinister

I recommend every gun enthusiast own at least one .22. You gotta have something cheap to shoot!!
that's why all 3 of my guns are .22s my first was my great grandpa's savage model 24 .22/20 (their new 42 is the same thing but has a different opening mechanism and is made of plastic instead of good ol' wood). my other 2 are a glenfield 60 and a henry h001. in the next 10 years i hope to acquire a marlin 1895 guide gun in .45-70, a marlin tube fed .22s/l/lr bolt action, a pump action .22s/l/lr, a left-handed savage 93 .22mag, a left-handed browning t-bolt 17hmr, a haritage .22lr/mag revolver and a springfield m1a. not the most impressive list, but it covers all the rifle bases and the obligatory handgun. if i decide to carry when the time comes, i'm leaning towards a springfield xd(m) 9mm simply because it hold 19 rounds. no shotguns are on the list because i already have one for when i get the urge to put a big hole in something and i'm sure i'll acquire more along the line eventually.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Mister Sinister

I've got an older marlin .22 lever action myself, great guns.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my rugar new vequaro is just gathering dust (well not really, its locked away) no $$ to shoot, I want a 454 casull, aww yeah! I love revolvers, I can't see myself with a semi-auto.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Blkft1

ORIGINAL: Mister Sinister

I recommend every gun enthusiast own at least one .22. You gotta have somehting cheap to shoot!!
Couldn't agree anymore,,,I've always recommended a .22 or sometimes even a decent quality airgun to promote plenty of trigger time. My friends sometime make fun of me [and my airguns] but when they're done shooting that one or maybe two boxes of 9mm,.40cal or 30.06 I'm still plinkin' away,,,heck I haven't even BEGUN to seriuosly start shooting yet! I usually shoot a few hundred rounds of LR before I,,,,uh,,,, move to my one or two boxes of centerfire ammo,,,. My range time right now is limited due to other obligation's so when I do get a day out I like to take full advantage of it and SPEND some TIME out there behind the trigger, not just shoot a box in 30 min or less then go home due to boredom.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 PM
cumquat

i love airguns but i cant afford the real good ones. if i had the dough, there are 5 that i'd order in a heartbeat; the airforce condor .177 with the .22 and .25 24" barrels (maybe the 12" barrels and end cap as well) and a bunch of accessories, a walther 1250 dominator combo (comes with a bipod and a 8-32x56AO 30mm scope), a daisy avanti 853C, an air ordinance SMG22 and an RWS 48 with 4-16x scope. all in with all accessories and peripherals (listed or otherwise), thats an easy $7k.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM
cumquat

forgot to throw in, a real drawing point to airguns isnt their power or noise, it's the cost to shoot. think about it, the mid grade pellets will cost the same as bulk .22 and the cheap stuff can actually be found for less than 1 cent per pellet! then consider guns like the airforce talon ss .25, which can (theoretically) throw a ~43 grain pellet at 760 fps at a similar volume to .22 cb's of all verieties. that's a 55FPE shot from an airgun that sounds like an airgun! the condor is competing with subsonics in power and noise, but those pellets are again cheaper than most subsonics.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:51 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: Blkft1

Man, those are very NICE! I had the 6'' SS GP100 with the full underlug at one time but sold it, kinda wish I kept it, picked up this 4'' awhile back and just love it. Almost bought a SS Security Six for $325 cash OTD a coupla months back but the pawn shop clerk slapped it shut HARD ''hollywood style'' and bent the crane as far as I could tell, noticable gap increase at front of crane and gun no longer functioned AT ALL,,,what a shame. Mosins are cool too, had the M38 Carbine awhile back also but DANG, that metal buttplate plus 200Gr Winchester loads would beat the crap out'a me . My nephew has a 1938 91/30 that seems to me alittle more enjoyable to shoot and is fairly precise using the same ammo, it is his first gun. Took him to the range and told him ''you'll maybe shoot 5 rnds before your done.'', he rolled his eyes at me,,,after 5 rounds he was done for the day, thankfully I brought some other stuff to shoot. He wasn't too fond of shooting .357 125Gr'rs out my Ruger LCR either, neither was I after a few cylinders.
That Ruger GP100 is a BEAST! Was very fond of mine, shot it at the Ben Avery range north of Phoenix. But I felt I needed something with more rounds and less kick so I traded it in on a brand new Springfield Armory XD-9 (see picture). That's a Colt 38 Army revolver above it in the picture. Patented 1884. There's two other dates stamped on the gun, June 1900 and July 4 1905. Is one of those the date it was manufactured?

Would like to have a Smith and Wesson 686P. Has 7 .357 rounds instead of 6. So when the bad guy assumes you fired 6 shots and you're out of ammo.......well......there's actually 1 more he didn't count on ("You've got to ask yourself - did I fire 6 shots or only 5?" - Dirty Harry)

Name:	Fd91640.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1807704  
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Mister Sinister

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

There's two other dates stamped on the gun, June 1900 and July 4 1905. Is one of those the date it was manufactured?

Those should be subsequent copyright dates, when the gun was revised (or not always) and produced again.

This is my pride and joy:
http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...vilfxt/Musket/

It's an original Tower Model 1862 musket rifle. Pretty popular during the Civil war. This one even has the original owner's initials and regiment markings in the stock, and we had a local historian research the 3 possible owners. It's been in my family for a long time. It's missing a barrel clamp and the cleaning/ram rod. I've been casually trying to find those bits.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Blkft1

Oh man! That Colt Army is very NICE! I've never felt undergunned with the GP[s] even with six rounds plus xtra speedloaders but yeah,,, it can be sort'a a beast to carry but does tame the average .357 load even better any .38 +P load too, but its primarily a bedside unit. My belief [or opinion] is if there is ever a incident [God Forbid] and once it gets to roarin' on all 6 cylinders not many will stick around. I'm currently SERIUOSLY looking at a Alaskan 44Mag at a LGS, before that I was considering a Mossy based Serbu 12G but my thoughts were since they are more or less the same price what can the Serbu offer that the Alaskan can't,,,besides a 6+ month wait? My friends mainly buy and shoot semi auto's in which I own a few but I've always liked the revolver,,maybe I'm just whimsical!

Hey cumquat, I been just chuggin along the last few years with my Benji 392 peep sighted pest zapper. I have a Crosman 2260 based pistol [kind'a looks like a stretched Charger] I've been toying with also [again whimsical ) that I've considered converting to PCP with a .25ACP bbl from Track of the Wolf. Even looked at replacing my RJ Breech with one from BM Machine in .25cal. I'm currently running a VERY air hungry 12G Boss valve that may hopefully support a .25cal pellet in the low to mid 500FPS range, gonna have to get a hold of a chrony of course to see what I get. Right now in .22 I'm getting 15-17 full power shots before the cart starts to drop off, again it really needs to be chrony'd. Only other AG pistol I've really looked at is the Webly Alecto in .177, its a little spendy but will make a real close in nice rat zapper,,Ha ha!

Alot of people on this thread have some REAL NICE equipment, we should be so honored ,,, if thats the right word,,, to be able to enjoy such things in life.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Blkft1

Ya now cumquat, I may get bashed for posting this but the Crosman 13XX guns are'nt too bad either.They really don't need much besides a decent crown, a little valve and piston work and a cheapy trigger job become decently cheap shooters. I've used this one in as a pistol and a carbine to good use whether dispatching small rodents within reasonable distance, primarily teeny tiny on up pest to the occassional squirrel, or just plinkin cans or paper. This one had [yup,,,sold/parted it out] some xtra $$ dumped in it just to have fun but besides the previuos recommendations eveything else was just superflous.

The red Daisy 753 wasnt too bad either for a single stroke low power gun. I didn't find out till long after I sold it it was some sort'a Snap On limited special,,,,should'a kept it also.

Name:	Ay75044.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1807904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32796.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1807905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64691.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1807906  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 PM
[email protected]

I took my daughter shooting for the first time few weeks ago she is 12 and did really good. she shot the 357 mag first with 38 specials then the mags and handled it very well. her hands are to small to cock the hammer back so she does a full pull. she also shot a 45lc colt anaconda and the hk usp 45. I told her she is ready for them zombies....lol
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM
cumquat

a couple hours ago i learned that there are actually 1022 aftermarket receivers. i have spent the following 2 or so hours building a theoretical non 1022 around the tactical innovations elite22 receiver. after all was said and dune, i had a $2000 suppressed multipurpose rifle with a green receiver, trigger group and barrel. it has 3 separate optic options, a 8-32x44 30mm tube scope for long distance, a 4-12x40 1" tube scope for mid range and a red dot for close range fun. it has a bipod and monopod mounted to it's hogue overmold od green rubberized stock. i hope i can one day build this monstrosity.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Blkft1

I went that route a few years ago, if I were to do it again today I'd save a bunch of cash and buy the 10/22 Tactical thats already pre threaded, send the barrel and bolt out to be reworked by someone like Que or Nemohunter [if he is still doing work] on Rimfirecentral. Then I'd either have the trigger reworked [preffered] or buy the Kidd [Coolguysguns.com] trigger upgrade kit or at worse the whole Kidd trigger group. Maybe,,,just maybe I'd replace the stock [Hogue tapered or cut down factory wood stock] if I were going to use a sling, that bbl band to me doesnt help.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:41 PM
J.D.T

ORIGINAL: cumquat

a couple hours ago i learned that there are actually 1022 aftermarket receivers. i have spent the following 2 or so hours building a theoretical non 1022 around the tactical innovations elite22 receiver. after all was said and dune, i had a $2000 suppressed multipurpose rifle with a green receiver, trigger group and barrel. it has 3 separate optic options, a 8-32x44 30mm tube scope for long distance, a 4-12x40 1'' tube scope for mid range and a red dot for close range fun. it has a bipod and monopod mounted to it's hogue overmold od green rubberized stock. i hope i can one day build this monstrosity.
I am probably showing my age again but does anyone remember the akins accelerator stock for the 10/22, think slide fire/bump ski, the atf outlawed them due to a spring but they are now back with a new design and no spring. Not cheap at about $600 but miles of smiles as they say. To bad everyone is freaking out right now and you can't even buy 22 ammo, Sure wish I had a pistol in .357 sig as thats about all thats left in the stores around here. Being just 60 miles from Brownells I didn't feel the ammo pinch much in 08 but this time even they got cleaned out. I always wanted a 686 smith but my uncle just brought home a 627 8 shot smith .357, he got the performance center model and its excellent but was near $950 locally. The coolest part is full moon clips so no need for speed loaders. He wants the 327 night gaurd which is also an 8 shot .357 but in a snubby with night sights but for some reason it wasn't made for the full moon clips.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

ORIGINAL: cumquat

a couple hours ago i learned that there are actually 1022 aftermarket receivers. i have spent the following 2 or so hours building a theoretical non 1022 around the tactical innovations elite22 receiver. after all was said and dune, i had a $2000 suppressed multipurpose rifle with a green receiver, trigger group and barrel. it has 3 separate optic options, a 8-32x44 30mm tube scope for long distance, a 4-12x40 1'' tube scope for mid range and a red dot for close range fun. it has a bipod and monopod mounted to it's hogue overmold od green rubberized stock. i hope i can one day build this monstrosity.
I am probably showing my age again but does anyone remember the akins accelerator stock for the 10/22, think slide fire/bump ski, the atf outlawed them due to a spring but they are now back with a new design and no spring. Not cheap at about $600 but miles of smiles as they say. To bad everyone is freaking out right now and you can't even buy 22 ammo, Sure wish I had a pistol in .357 sig as thats about all thats left in the stores around here. Being just 60 miles from Brownells I didn't feel the ammo pinch much in 08 but this time even they got cleaned out. I always wanted a 686 smith but my uncle just brought home a 627 8 shot smith .357, he got the performance center model and its excellent but was near $950 locally. The coolest part is full moon clips so no need for speed loaders. He wants the 327 night gaurd which is also an 8 shot .357 but in a snubby with night sights but for some reason it wasn't made for the full moon clips.
It's called 'slide fire', but I wasn't aware they were making them for the 10/22. I have only seen them for AR15 and AK platform rifles. Surprisingly, they're they're still in stock at several stores.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
J.D.T

Slidefire is just a brand name, This is from Rapid Fire accessories the makers of the Bumpski AK and DefendAR-15 bumpfire stocks, the 10/22 model is called Springless AA2 on the website. I haven't played with the DefendAR-15 but the bumpski is way nicer than the slidefire AK stocks. Of course its about a hundred bucks higher but billet aluminum instead of plastic. I would never rattle an AK or AR to death bumpfiring it but around here 10/22s are $100 used all the time.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Blkft1

Talk about extremes! Picked this up recently just for giggles,,,a NAA .22 short, I was thinking my LCP was small[?]. I was going to shoot Colibri's thru it but THEY ARE TOO LONG Ha ha!! I picked up a box of CCI shorts and hopefully be able to run some thru it soon as it quits raining and dry's up outside. I've been halfbutt looking for one of these for while but no one ever seems to stock them locally which is probably due to not being a practical choice for CCW unless you just want to irritate someone. This is the older model that doesnt have the half safety notch like the newer ones so xtra care must be taken but it will primarily be a range toy [or maybe shoot fly's and such], or just keep one chamber empty,,,,meh.

Name:	Us54137.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1838714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94927.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1838715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68854.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1838716  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.