Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Idea what this plane is/was

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Idea what this plane is/was

Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Toysareforkids
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea what this plane is/was

I have a plane I bought from a friend back in the late 80's He has since died, and I want to rebuild the plane, and I was wondering what it is, err was. He had modified it many times. I call it the truck. It is a land plane, float plane, glider carrier, and my parachuter carrier.
The fuel tank was held in with a rubber band, that is the tan mess on it. it melted with the years of sitting.

I think it started as a Falcon 56, but that is just a guess. The fuse is heavily rounded on the corners.
The wing span is 62" with a cord of 12.5".
The fuse is about 46" long with out the engine.

Pat

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74361.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1804990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95653.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1804991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40747.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1804992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65400.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1804993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80792.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1804994  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Idea what this plane is/was

I would say it is not a Falcon 56 for a few reasons.

The whole tail assembly looks wrong. The fin appears to be constant chord, while the Falcon's was tapered to a shorted chord at the top. The Falson didn't have tip fins, but those could have been added to compensate for the forward area of the floats. The Falcon had a definite airfoiled stab.

The Falcon 56, as I recall had a semi-symmetrical airfoil. You could vary easily trim the leading edge of the ribs before gluing on the pre-shaped leading edge and make the airfoil fully symmetrical. I did this on a couple. Also, the original Falcon had a heavy spar that ran through the ribs. It did not have top and bottom spars as this plane does. I can't speak for the Mark II version.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it is not a Falcon 56 for a few reasons.

The whole tail assembly looks wrong. The fin appears to be constant chord, while the Falcon's was tapered to a shorted chord at the top. The Falson didn't have tip fins, but those could have been added to compensate for the forward area of the floats. The Falcon had a definite airfoiled stab.

The Falcon 56, as I recall had a semi-symmetrical airfoil. You could vary easily trim the leading edge of the ribs before gluing on the pre-shaped leading edge and make the airfoil fully symmetrical. I did this on a couple. Also, the original Falcon had a heavy spar that ran through the ribs. It did not have top and bottom spars as this plane does. I can't speak for the Mark II version.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good possibility that it wasn't a kit, but an original design. We used to do this a lot back in the 80's for funflys and float flys. From the looks of it, it was built with economy and quick building in mind. Just what you would want for fun flys. If you broke it, it didn't matter too much because it was easy to build and cheap.

The plane in my avator is an example. Built off the ugly stick design, but improved for better manueverability.

Frank
Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Toysareforkids
My Feedback: (4)

I agree that thewhole tailis wrong for a Falcon 56. I know he added the fins on the tips, for when he carried gliders up on it. He may have changed the rudder then also. He later added the floatsand flew off snow andwater.
He could have plan built it, he did plan build others I know that. and he did have it back in the early 80's. I can not find any part numbersanywhere. I bought it from him in about'89

I guess it is, what itis, and it flys nice!

Pat
Old 09-26-2012, 02:24 PM
nekked_man_2000

My guess is a scratch build of his own design, or a mishmash of parts. The wing looks a lot like an Eagle II, or something similar.

Austin