Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kyosho Osmose datum line..?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
BobV1700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Osmose datum line..?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this one............Due to the engine quitting just after take off I ended up tip stalling my Kyosho Osmose whilst trying to avoid the usual obstacles. The resultant impact destroyed the rear horizontal stabiliser seat although the stab was not badly damaged. Unfortunately the damage is such that I have almost no rebuilding reference points to correctly replace the stabilizer relative to the fuselage datum line. Fore and aft dimensions are still evident but the angle of incidence releative to the datum line is impossibe to work out , (I think its slightly negative ie leading edge slightly down). Am I right in thinking that I can establish the datum line starting at the centre of firewall/engine crankshaft/mounting centre, along the fuse, and thru to the rudder verticle post....then refit stabiliser accordingly.

For those not familiar with this model its a Kyosho CPLR design of classic pattern outline but .50 sized, rather than 2 meter. The rest of the airframe is good so it might be worth the effort.

Is it possible to establish the original horizontal stabiliser angle or failing that, rebuild parrellel to an estimate of the datum line ie 'if it looks good then it might well be' sort or thing?.

Apologies if that does n't read clearly.

Thanks Bob Vaughan
Old 09-25-2012, 03:32 PM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kyosho Osmose datum line..?

Bob,

You could probably use the wing as a reference to set the stab incidence. Normally, the wing will be at 0.5 to 1.0 of positive incidence (leading edge high), so relative to the wing, the stab would be at 0.5 to 1.0 of NEGATIVE incidence (leading edge low). If no one else chimes in with an actual value I would imagine that 0.75 degrees would be reasonable.

Teo
Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 AM
BobV1700

Teo.....

Thanks for that. How would I ascertain the fuselage datum line without plans? I suspect that the fuselage covering trim line will run parallel to it as the change in covering color  is longitudinal and very closely aligned to the centre of the engine mounts. Not very scientific I know but it does look as if relates to the wing and tail incidence as it passes along the fuse.

Any other thoughts?

Regards and thanks,

Bob V
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Any use?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57349.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1805146  
Old 09-26-2012, 09:55 AM
BobV1700

Thanks David..........I suspect yes.

Regards Bob V
Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Thinn

I dug out some old pictures from my Kyosho Osmose build thread here on RCU.... [http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78...1/key_/tm.htm]
Don't know how helpful it is?
Pls note that with this setting the plane pitched quite a bit downwards inverted.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85563.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1805214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73204.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1805215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54362.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1805216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87398.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1805217  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob, there's somethin' else you should know.
If it's anything like the Kyosho planes I've owned there'll be on longeron in the fuselage that'll run straight... pretty much from firewall to tail.
That'll be the one directly before any curvature for the turtle decks etc. I would guess the designers will have used that one as a datum line to assist production.
Use a pin to ***** through and find it's top and bottom at  the fuselage front, middle and back.
Set this line to zero deg, then set up the the stab to match, ie at zero.
The wing will then be set at  +0.5-1(ish) deg. About right.

Audun, haven't seen you for so long... Hope everything is well.
I've been of the radar for some time... long story.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 AM
BobV1700

Thanks gents...........its all helping. 
David.........Regarding the longeron/datum line the change in trim color (as above) seems to follow the point you make as well.
Thinn.........Based on your observations regarding the 0.5 neg horizontal stab incidence and its tendency to pitch downwards during inverted flight would you make any slight alterations to the stab angle or keep within the design spec?.

Thanks again gents, Bob.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Thinn

Bob,
I think I would have started with the angles as designed. The down-pitching was a bit much for my taste, but several others didn't find this being an issue.

David: it's been some years! Missing that all white Hydeaway of yours...