Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

You guys really know how to kill interest in a thread don't you, for the sake of those that are interested in building and flying a Tornado give it a rest, unless you have something constructive to say.

Mike

Mike

Remind me of the date you were crowned king. Free country last time I looked
Don't you remember Dennis, it was the same day you where appointed moral arbiter for RCU.

Mike
Old 09-28-2012, 07:58 AM
TimWatson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

You guys really know how to kill interest in a thread don't you, for the sake of those that are interested in building and flying a Tornado give it a rest, unless you have something constructive to say.

Mike

Mike

Remind me of the date you were crowned king. Free country last time I looked
Don't you remember Dennis, it was the same day you where appointed moral arbiter for RCU.

Mike
Good day that was
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM
ModellbauUK

Just got back from a great day at Classic Jets. Tornado flew really well except got caught by a gust of wind and bounced a bit. Strut broke but carbon reinforced retract mount held true. Well chuffed.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 AM
n57tc

I don't really care how or what the Tornado came from. I will be buying one when they get back in stock for my first go at a turbine powered aircraft. And I say Thank You for making an affordable first jet that doesn't look like a carton with wings.

To you guys that continue to complain all I can say is, Get a Life, get over it and move on. You have really drawn this thread away from its original intent. Make your own thread about your he said she said stuff about ModellbauUSA and how you were suppobily wronged by them. This is ModellbauUSA's thread to try and help get people into an affordable first turbine.

This thread should now be called "An endless source of useless knowledge"

Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: n57tc

I don't really care how or what the Tornado came from. I will be buying one when they get back in stock for my first go at a turbine powered aircraft. And I say Thank You for making an affordable first jet that doesn't look like a carton with wings.

To you guys that continue to complain all I can say is, Get a Life, get over it and move on. You have really drawn this thread away from its original intent. Make your own thread about your he said she said stuff about ModellbauUSA and how you were suppobily wronged by them. This is ModellbauUSA's thread to try and help get people into an affordable first turbine.

This thread should now be called "An endless source of useless knowledge"

Jim
Hey Jim were you aware that threads donot belong to people.

I would say to you that a tornado or a Falcon 120 is a very good first Jet. Start with a 14 - 18 lb turbine on it and you will not go wrong. For the money it is a very good start, Fly nice, lands slow. I have had one for over 5 years.

The carton with wings as you call it is also a very good first jet
Old 09-28-2012, 10:08 AM
ModellbauUK

I'll post some pictures of what I did to strengthen this area. Quite a simple solution to make the retract area even stronger than it is already.

Better to break/bend a strut than to rip the mount out of the wing. We all have the occasional heavy landing and I happy in the knowledge that after an hours work I can be flying again

Ian
Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Jim,

maybe you should read a little more closely. I really haven't seen anyone complain. People are offering constructive criticism. There is a huge difference. I'll say it once more, I knew what I was getting when I bought it. I am pointing out what should be fixed if they keep making them. I can't complain if I knew about the issues before I got it.

Brian

ORIGINAL: n57tc

This thread should now be called ''An endless source of useless knowledge''

Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM
r 3

Jim
USA only it would be a very boring place and by the way i have the V1 and i know how crap the first ones were and when i tryed to tell you guys over the pond you were all to busy kissing Henry's ass
Old 09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
John Tancock

He's back, he's back, he's talking out his crack, Dennis Plumbs, Dennis Plumbs!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 PM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: John Tancock

He's back, he's back, he's talking out his crack, Dennis Plumbs, Dennis Plumbs!
And for those of us who actually went to school and got an education could you perhaps explain your very clever and so wondefully thought out little ditty. I so wish for you to illuminate our sad RCU world. If brains were taxed I am sure Mr Tancock would get a rebate
Old 09-28-2012, 01:44 PM
John Tancock

Tim, Tim, not nice and Dim!

You really need to get out more!

You've got to get your self to some of the Jet meets, it is a good laugh!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

I cant belive i read through all this ***** - but i did learn some good things ...

jackjet
Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Mike06659

lol, I read through the whole thing as well. I've seen both fly and I can tell you that the Tornado is faster then the F-86Dog. I had a Dog with a P-70 and it was not very fast.
Mike
Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 AM
PHall

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

You are right. There is nothing close to the price. This is the list I gave Henry that I did not like an thought could be improved. I was trying to help, not cirticize.

tank did not come with stopper assembly
the ail and flap servo covers are white and don't match the red bottom
canopy did not fit right and was not the same color as advertised
control horns are very short. I guess people may use them but with the large bevel at the leading edge of the surface, i don't know ow you can have enough material recessd into the surface and still have them forward enough to be inline with the hinge line. I bought my own from Dreamworks which was another $22.
wing bolts dont line up
forward spar does not line up.
hatches for the elevator and rudder are way too small. I made it work but you really have to be creative with the dremel.
liners for the wheel wells dont fit well at all
formers needed reinforcement(betwen glueing in the formers and re-doing the forward spar I used more than a tube of Hysol).
the wings are now fully sheeted which is nice, but there are ridges and bumps everywhere especially around the leading edge area.
the quality of the glass and paint work on the booms is very poor. huge pinholes and voids as well as drips and runs in the paint.
the fit of the boms to the top of the wing could be better
the opening for the nosehweel. why does it need to be so big? I know the Tornado is modeled after the Falcon, but there was not need for it to be like that on the Falcon either. I would cut smaller openings in the fuse and wings and let people open them up if they need to.

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Tubmbler, can list for me in a concise list the issues you have this jet? I am thining of getting and want to weigh it against something else.

Also, $600 is still cheaper than anything out there for a turbine airframe that can handle a 80 sized turbine. I've been all over the map looking for my next jet and keep coming back to this. Anything else runs $2K easy on the low end.
These are the issues. The finish being the hardest to fix while keeping the price in mind. I was disappointed when I first found a few of these but I realized quickly how easy thet were to correct and that I only spent $500.

I'll send you my red hatches if you send your white. But really. I just took 30 minutes of my time and recovered them, Easy!

I think your input was very well put.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 AM
josecilurzo

Hi guys,

this jet is an proposal of low cost, easy to build and fly, of course, far, far way of bvm!!!
we use CARF, BVM, SKYMASTER, BOOMERANGS, and, if you are looking for "perfect air-frame" these ones are your choice, but, have yours cost.
and, sometimes, needs any adjustment to build.
I dont use the TORNADO jet, but, i saw the V3, and, maybe i buy one.
we are here to discuss, and propose alternatives, calm down and refresh our mind.

JOSE
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 AM
jetster81

Just because its cheap it does not have to be carp. Noting customers remarks like Tumblers and rectifiying them at the factory I would think is a good way to improve quality thus getting the quality up thus improving sales thus creating more orders thus providing more employment and profit for all concerned, or have I missed something?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:21 PM
TUMBLER

now I know no 1 wants to hear it but here is another thing that needs to be fixed. when the factory applied the covering they had the overlap into the wind. in other words the grey was overlapped on top of the white. you need to have the white overlapping the grey so that the wind cannot get underneath and lift the covering. this is what happened to mine on the 15th flight even after I use an iron to iron everything down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46942.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1806058  
Old 09-29-2012, 01:27 PM
TUMBLER

lol. actually I had already recover them with ultracote. not perfect match but ok. 5 more flights today

ORIGINAL: PHall
ORIGINAL: TUMBLER

You are right. There is nothing close to the price. This is the list I gave Henry that I did not like an thought could be improved. I was trying to help, not cirticize.

tank did not come with stopper assembly
the ail and flap servo covers are white and don't match the red bottom
canopy did not fit right and was not the same color as advertised
control horns are very short. I guess people may use them but with the large bevel at the leading edge of the surface, i don't know ow you can have enough material recessd into the surface and still have them forward enough to be inline with the hinge line. I bought my own from Dreamworks which was another $22.
wing bolts dont line up
forward spar does not line up.
hatches for the elevator and rudder are way too small. I made it work but you really have to be creative with the dremel.
liners for the wheel wells dont fit well at all
formers needed reinforcement(betwen glueing in the formers and re-doing the forward spar I used more than a tube of Hysol).
the wings are now fully sheeted which is nice, but there are ridges and bumps everywhere especially around the leading edge area.
the quality of the glass and paint work on the booms is very poor. huge pinholes and voids as well as drips and runs in the paint.
the fit of the boms to the top of the wing could be better
the opening for the nosehweel. why does it need to be so big? I know the Tornado is modeled after the Falcon, but there was not need for it to be like that on the Falcon either. I would cut smaller openings in the fuse and wings and let people open them up if they need to.

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Tubmbler, can list for me in a concise list the issues you have this jet? I am thining of getting and want to weigh it against something else.

Also, $600 is still cheaper than anything out there for a turbine airframe that can handle a 80 sized turbine. I've been all over the map looking for my next jet and keep coming back to this. Anything else runs $2K easy on the low end.
These are the issues. The finish being the hardest to fix while keeping the price in mind. I was disappointed when I first found a few of these but I realized quickly how easy thet were to correct and that I only spent $500.

I'll send you my red hatches if you send your white. But really. I just took 30 minutes of my time and recovered them, Easy!

I think your input was very well put.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70413.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1806059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36032.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1806060  
Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exploding Boomerang XL's come to mind, they have had a spate of LE film covering lifting for that very reason and the wings exploding in flight or so the story goes, so even over priced high end jets have serious faults, the manufactures recommendations is to clear film over the LE, no returns, no hulla baloo, no which hunt, if that happend to my over priced jet I would be very unhappy.

I took my QQ 2.5M Yak out two weekends ago, did not fly it because the LE trim had lifted in the heat/workshop or some how, but my pre flight inspection found the problem and my assessment was it could not fly safely, no substitute for a good pre flight.

Mike
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use those small capillary tubes on the thin ca bottles and run a tiny bead along the edges of the covering.... No chance of the covering coming loose after that.
Dan
Old 09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
rcpm5
My Feedback: (2)

tumbler - feel your pain, suffered many of your issues and more. bring issues out in the open doesn't seem to work. this tread is ladened with the same complaints you have raiesed with no resolve -what ever happened to listenting to your customers. i wouldpaya little more to get the petty stuff taken care. most of the complaints would get taken care of with some kind of quality control.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:14 PM
TUMBLER

yep that works or a cleaner way is by using mononote trim solventcand letting itxseam under. however the the colors should ALWAYS be laid down back to front and then it is never an issue. the covering should also wrap around leading edge of a surface like a wing, stab, or find

ORIGINAL: Sparhawk

I use those small capillary tubes on the thin ca bottles and run a tiny bead along the edges of the covering.... No chance of the covering coming loose after that.
Dan
Old 09-29-2012, 04:17 PM
TUMBLER

thanks man. yeah i am shocked and disappointed. we are just trying to help and they look at it like a personal attack and take offense. my buddies at the field today could not believe that there were no tank fittings with the kit or some type of cacopy retention included so its not just us that notice this stuff

ORIGINAL: rcpm5

tumbler - feel your pain, suffered many of your issues and more. bring issues out in the open doesn't seem to work. this tread is ladened with the same complaints you have raiesed with no resolve - what ever happened to listenting to your customers. i would pay a little more to get the petty stuff taken care. most of the complaints would get taken care of with some kind of quality control.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

That white and red scheme looks good, apart from the grey rudders, think I would be getting the profilm out there too!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:24 AM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

Does anybody know what kind of film was used to cover the V3? and where can I buy it from?

Azzam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.