Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Last questions before I fly my vanquish

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:28 AM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last questions before I fly my vanquish

I have my plane now to where I think it is ready to fly but have just a couple more questions to ease my mind. I searched back through this post quite a ways but didn't find anything that completely answered my questions. I'm using two, 5000 mah TP 5S packs. Should I put some type of spacer between the batteries and or the floor of the plane for air flow?
How about securing the batteries to the floor of the plane? When I run the velcro strap through the floor and over the batteries(two straps), my batteries can still slide a little. Can I prewrap the batteries with a velcro strap and then can I glue a piece of velcro to the floor that lines up with my strap around the battery? And then secure the battery with a couple of straps through the floor and around the batteries?

I thought tonight after work I would keep the plane grounded and cycle the batteries on my runway. That way I can do a full range check, check to make sure my motor doesn't cut out at any speed and just put another soft cycle into the new batteries.

Finally, with normal flying and not all out full speed. What should I expect or set my transmitter timer for flight time? Himax motor with Ice 80 and two, 5000 mah 5S packs.

Thanks for all your help, Jim
Old 09-29-2012, 08:04 AM
david hancock

Default RE: Last questions before I fly my vanquish

Jim, I just flew my vanquish yesterday for the first time. 5000 Mah, 5 cell TP packs, I flew very conservatively for 7 minutes and put back in 2400 Ma's. For securing my bats I put down a piece of material that you line your tool box with (anti slip material) I then put another piece on my batteries, velcro straps and bats don't move. You certainly could use velcro, however, I have never had any luck keeping the velcro glued down. I loved the way the plane flew, only complaint is the wheel pants did not last through the sixth flight. Grass just ate them up.

Dave
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Rune

Hi

Itaped the 2 batteries together with fiberglasswith no space between but ifyou want some air betweenthem you dont do anythingh wrong,But always used welcro on the battery plate and under the batteries this to prevent the batteries to slide back and forward, you dont want over 1 kg loose in the plane to adjust your cg....................on my last plane I use 2welcro straps to secure the batteries to the plate
Old 09-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I also use fiberglass tape but ca a few balsa blocks in between for spacers.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

The most important thing with your batteries is avoiding heat so you need to put spacers between the packs to maximize cooling. Velcro on your tray bottom and on the bottom of your packs and velcro straps are pretty much the normal setup for 2M. Once you start doing inside and especially neg snaps, you will need all the restraint ability available. Some people use a bar across the batteries and a wing nut to add some insurance. Those who have ejected batteries through their canopy know that you can't have the batteries too secure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58167.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1806109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32217.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1806110