Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

STRETCHING A HULL...IS IT POSSIBLE ??? Old Graupner Systems Cat build

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

STRETCHING A HULL...IS IT POSSIBLE ??? Old Graupner Systems Cat build

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: STRETCHING A HULL...IS IT POSSIBLE ??? Old Graupner Systems Cat build

Dont see why you need a t bracket just use the standard one that comes with the rudder even has a hole in it for your pushrod to go through.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Rebel bay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STRETCHING A HULL...IS IT POSSIBLE ??? Old Graupner Systems Cat build

I use two links from the servo to the rudder that is why I prefer a symetric center rudder
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 AM
martno1fan

Unless your using a cable setup to pull its not needed.That said if you wish to use a cable setup for steering then this rudder is ideal but for this cat with the flat transom you would need to manufacture a standoff on the transom to allow the rams room to work but it could be done using some box allumium section.
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82186.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1804051  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 AM
colosus

Rebel Bay...are you talking about a mono hull setup, i like that rudder but then Mart said it was too long and used on Deep V mono boats...

I have a rudder that i bought for my old deep V, its 115mm i didnt measure the arm length but from this pic you can see its not long...this should work with those stingers...i just need to unbolt the flex mount as its not needed..
What you think..the mount on this makes it stand away from the transom giving it room to turn..

Name:	Jg14360.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1804090  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Rebel bay

For more reactivity and stability, I prefer when the rudder is behind the propeller(s). Hull is 1 meter, stingers are 10cm + propeller and distance between the hull and the blade is 15cm
Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Rebel bay

For more reactivity and stability, I prefer when the rudder is behind the propeller(s). Hull is 1 meter, stingers are 10cm + propeller and distance between the hull and the blade is 15cm
That might be the case on monos but most cats i know it makes no difference wether the rudder is behind the props or close to the transom in fact many seem to run better with it closer.
Matt that set you showed should work fine if you remove the strut and just use the rudder.You do not need a long standoff rudder on a cat,level with props is plenty.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:13 AM
colosus

i found this on that tool site for motors and props
Choosing a hull for you
It states the rudder on a Cat should be 15% in length of the total hull length...
Now me need to get mine out the attic and measure it...lol

Name:	Xv65205.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1804364  
Old 09-30-2012, 03:05 AM
colosus

nobody got any more ideas...???

Well here goes a little pic i modified...its of the Mystic C5000...the reason is because i have plans for the wooden Lithium Cat and Mystic, this is just to show you that it can easily be modified, all i did was remove the new type transom and lifted the sides...
When i come to build it i will show how i will modify it..the frame must be modded first..

It just shows that it maybe possible to mod a newer version hull into an older version...but with higher speeds...from the newer tunnel and design..this will be a great project..

Here is my new type Reporter Cat..it should look like this

Name:	Rp42458.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1806292  
Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 AM
Rebel bay

May be you can use a Mean Machine hull, very easy to built a Cougar cowl

Name:	Vt57735.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1806306  
Old 09-30-2012, 04:31 AM
colosus

Nice thought....but i already checked that type....the whole nose and depth is wrong..
So no good..but hatch area is perfect..
Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 AM
colosus

hmmm i was on the right track with modifying the 2x GTX650 outboards..
I found this pic of an Alu outdrive and its basically the same as what i was originaly going to do..im damn sure it would work...

Still...the stingers will be better...em ..i hope..

Name:	Nl29534.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1806707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11855.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1806708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22066.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1806709  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 AM
colosus

ok wooden ribs came today so i will be messing about looking at what to mod before i start glueing stuff in...

Will prob have some carbon motor plates made up too...
Heres a couple of pics of a Scat cat with twin drives that i managed to find on the internet...so its possible..weither it runs well is another matter...but hey...worth a try...

Name:	Yw68143.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1807699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15205.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1807700   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26020.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1807701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46946.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1807702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31622.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1807703  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 AM
colosus

Hey did you all go to sleep...lol

No one got any more ideas ??

Me got another question.....I need to remove some paint from the ABS hull....is the only way with Brake fluid ? i used it before on a car body shell and it worked, over night i left it to soak..then lots of cleaning...that car is in my photo Galery as the blue Honda NSX 99' Raybrig with original green wheels..

Anyone ?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 AM
martno1fan

Never heard of a scat cat but thats def a falcon cat from China.No idea what to use for getting paint off ABS sory.
Mart
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 AM
colosus

Thanx Martin

Yea its the nick name they give it, looks like i need to put a coat of white prima over the old paint...hmm.. thats a lots of sanding..to make it stick...all the little area's..

This hull is really thin, and before i glue the top half on, i want to layer the interior in a thin carbon black mat...as the motor mounts will be carbon to match...
Whats the steps to take to do this properly..?
same as you told me before ..for fibreglass ? i need to scatch up the whole surface ?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 AM
martno1fan

My only worry is glassing over ABS as ive never tried it,obviously it would need to be eopxy as poly resin would eat it lol.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM
colosus

I had a brain wave....god help us all...

I been thinking about this hull, and making a mold from it...
So i came up with the idea of using something like plaster of paris...liquid plaster..or some other stuff that is a liquid and sets hard..amy ideas ? or modelers clay that sets

If i wax the interior of both halfs of this Systems cat, then pour liquid plaster into to it, on a super flat surface, and let set for a week...lol
Then in theory i can pull the hull off leaving a beautiful end result, and as its plaster i can add bits and smooth stuff out...this can then be hardened somehow with paint of ...i dunno.... and used to take a fibre mold from....

What you think guys...come on.. someone gotta av an idea..
I want to do something before i glue it together...

All ready i've started the work on it, and soon i will put carbon cloth in the interior, then make some carbon motor mounts.. these will be glued in before i glue the two halfs of the hull together...i will then sort the hatch out, finding a way to make it larger..
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Goldenduff

An idea but it might be too soft....

Get a large or get several oasis- the soft squishy stuff florists use to retain water and stick flowers in. Would make a good impression. Paint impression with epoxy type stuff to toughen- after adding your changes - and voila a quick and easy mould?.......

A similar method would be a box of oily sand- press hull in to make a mould and line with glass fibre.

You can using make boats!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 02:58 PM
colosus

Thanx m8

I'm not sure about the squishy stuff florists use...i know what you mean...its normally green in colour...the problem is it will not fill in all the lines and get into the corners...plus the hull is so weak when in two halfs...its weaker than a coke bottle...really.. so pressing something like that green stuff will distort the hull....good idea though....it needs to be a form of thick liquid that sets hard..then every detail will come out...

I know Automative modeling clay will work....it takes time but if press bit by bit into all the corners and lines then fill the hull half in with clay...it will make a good impression.....but i need it to go hard...or i'll loose the shape...

Oily sand....me never heard that one....

if i had enough epoxy glue i could fill the hull with it then remove the original hull...emmm somehow...
even 2k paint goes hard if activated with hardener.... i used to paint real cars...and always half a litre of paint used to set hardish in the old litre cans... maybe something like that...will work....im only guessing...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:12 PM
martno1fan

Dont do it you will ruin your hull,there are no short cuts to making moulds trust me.The heat generated by the plaster as it goes off will probably warp the hull,it gets quite warm i used to work with it a lot some years ago.The only thing you could use to do as youve suggested would be RTV silicone but it would cost a lot to do such a large mould,cheaper to just buy a new boat lol.
Mart