Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

weedeater powered coroplast cub beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

weedeater powered coroplast cub beginner

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM
michael1963

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weedeater powered coroplast cub beginner

i am wanting to build a coroplast cub powered by a weedeater engine like i see all over net never flown or built any rc is this to far advanced for a beginer also cant fin any plans for one that are very clear and complete any help would be appriciated
Old 09-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum

Default RE: weedeater powered coroplast cub beginner

Have a look at this site:http://spadworld.net/
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a link to a guy building a big cub [link=http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17208]CLICKY[/link]

It is doable and the conversion of the weedwacker is well documented on the net. Unless you are a scale purist I might extend the nose about 3 inches to help with the CG.

At the end of the day it will cost you more than a traditional trainer but seeing your own work flying is always special.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
ratshooter

If you will scroll down a little farther there is a SPAD forum here also. You may get more answers there. SPADS are cool. I fly my SPAD more than all my other planes combined. But its not large. A 48" wing with an LA 46 for power.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Going that large is going to cost you a lot more than a traditional balsa trainer will, even if you buy everything new. Gassers need bigger servos, bigger landing gear and tires, bigger hardware, etc, and that all adds up. If you want your best shot at getting started in the hobby the traditional balsa wood trainer is the way to go. It will be built right and it will fly well. I got into the spad thing at the beginning, building a Debonair as my trainer. It wasn't bad, but it definitely didn't fly as well as the standard trainers at the field. I had a couple of crashes that I probably wouldn't have had with a balsa plane, and I found that when I did have crashes they weren't that hard to repair. So since you're looking to get started in the hobby, I'm going to suggest watching the classifieds and local Craigslist for a few weeks until a trainer set comes up. With some luck, it will also have a good radio and all the field equipment to go with it. If you start with quality stuff and work with an instructor, your chances of training until you solo without ever crashing are pretty good. If you still want something you can ding up and not worry about, look into the many EPO foam planes that are on the market right now. Those things are as close to indestructible as anything, and they generally fly well.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Villa

Hi michael1963
You will be better off joining a local RC club and having them teach you to fly. They will also help you decide what equipment to purchase. If you try to learn the whole thing by yourself the chances are that you will be overwelmed and just quit this wonderful life time hobby. I have been doing RC planes for about 40 years and have built many Coroplast planes, including a biplane, two Canards, a flying Lawnmower, a pusher/puller plane, and many other planes.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Going that large is going to cost you a lot more than a traditional balsa trainer will, even if you buy everything new. Gassers need bigger servos, bigger landing gear and tires, bigger hardware, etc, and that all adds up. If you want your best shot at getting started in the hobby the traditional balsa wood trainer is the way to go. It will be built right and it will fly well. I got into the spad thing at the beginning, building a Debonair as my trainer. It wasn't bad, but it definitely didn't fly as well as the standard trainers at the field. I had a couple of crashes that I probably wouldn't have had with a balsa plane, and I found that when I did have crashes they weren't that hard to repair. So since you're looking to get started in the hobby, I'm going to suggest watching the classifieds and local Craigslist for a few weeks until a trainer set comes up. With some luck, it will also have a good radio and all the field equipment to go with it. If you start with quality stuff and work with an instructor, your chances of training until you solo without ever crashing are pretty good. If you still want something you can ding up and not worry about, look into the many EPO foam planes that are on the market right now. Those things are as close to indestructible as anything, and they generally fly well.
What Jester said is very good and sound advice.

Ken
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can recycle a lot of the equipment from your trainer to your next plane.
Weedeater engines can be had for practically nothing and if you are able, they can be converted to RC fairly cheaply.
Planes this heavy will do great damage to themselves upon impact for sure..but in a scenario where an experienced hand is in charge of the training sessions a "Weedeater Scale" trainer that was built from scrap lumber and Tyvek covering would be a very cool [and feasable] way for some guys to learn how to fly.
Definitely not for the "mainstream" ....
Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

When you do the math, it's not cheaper. Even if the coroplast is free (likely won't be at the sizes you'll need) you're talking about hi torque servos, heavy duty hardware, a bigger battery, more expensive props, tougher landing gear and wheels, bigger engine mount, and so on. Unless the OP is a machinist and welder and has some scrap metal he can use, he'll be into the engine about $70 before starting it the first time. He can buy a .40 size glow engine ready to run just for what the parts to convert a weedeater engine will cost.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:22 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Going that large is going to cost you a lot more than a traditional balsa trainer will, even if you buy everything new. Gassers need bigger servos, bigger landing gear and tires, bigger hardware, etc, and that all adds up. If you want your best shot at getting started in the hobby the traditional balsa wood trainer is the way to go. It will be built right and it will fly well.
What Jester said is very good and sound advice.

Ken
+2

Though I would NOT recommend Craigslist for a beginner.

A beginner does not know what to look for, nor how to spot a good trainer versus problematic hardware, etc.

Tower or Horizon starter packages coupled with finding and joining a club ( in reverse order ) are a safer way to assure success.