Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 AM
moparmyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F27 Stryker Part 9: Crazy DARK SIDE - Beginners to Dark Extremes

Hi Arctery !!
Good to see you still flying the foam !!
I thought Gary was making mounts for 39mm diameter .............
Might this be what youre looking for ?
39mm inrunner
http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...products_id=63
Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 AM
mudboger07

Well first real flight of the super stryker it went very good but we didnt realize we broke a prop on take off. wow this thing lands fast...lol not sure we got to top speed but were ganna try again, we did a 2 minute flight and the battery only took about 1000 mah on the recharge.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:08 PM
arcticflyer

Mopar - Yes, I looked at those mounts yesterday...if Steve can fix my 1515/1Y might just try and stick it on the back of the Stryker if the plane will balance. It is 200 grams heavier than the 28mm Mega but I can tell you from experience it is one serious motor that got my last speeder well over 200. I was putting 270amp WOT passes through that motor and it wasn't breaking a sweat yet[X(]
Should work because there is still some room in front of the battery to move it forward.
That combination would be scary fast as I could put up to a 7x10 on it at 5S but the amps are crazy and would have to use my modified Ice Lite 200 (heat sinks and a fan) It would be pretty scary to hand launch at those RPM levels[X(][X(]

If there are balance issues I will revert back to a 28mm and see what we can throw in there to get some more speed. The ole 16/30/2 has already been rewound once over in CZ and it is maxed out at this setup. Don't really want to push to many more amps through it.

The ole Stryker still has it and still turns heads
Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 AM
moparmyway

Arctic,

I think you will like the motor mounted off of the back, the CG gets real good with the extra tailweight !!
You sent the NEU back, I thought it was fixed ??
My 30-2 was a bullet on 5s5000 with a 6.5x6.5 prop .............. right near or over 150 mph !!
Hand-launching the oversquare props brings new sights and challenges to the table ............... like - have you ever seen your Stryker wag its tail after it leaves your hand on launches ?

Kind of waves goodbye to you, then the prop grabs and she scoots away, but while she is trying for more air, she waves at ya !!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: mudboger07

Well first real flight of the super stryker it went very good but we didnt realize we broke a prop on take off. wow this thing lands fast...lol not sure we got to top speed but were ganna try again, we did a 2 minute flight and the battery only took about 1000 mah on the recharge.

Lets see some video of this beast !!!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
mudboger07

Im trying to find it on youtube, as soon i i can ill post it..
ORIGINAL: moparmyway

Lets see some video of this beast !!!!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM
chippedprop

HEY

Just a heads up.... the new stryker I have been working on is almost ready......with luck and cooler temps here in SC (under 100) should get in maiden this week.......the new style will be different from my regular type......also at the same time working to finish v3 of the pusher style.

say tuned as my 2 latest birds take off........

Looking forward to the fall and cooler temps. plus doing fly in and the e week at Triple Tree (Joe Nall) here in SC.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

HEY

Just a heads up.... the new stryker I have been working on is almost ready......with luck and cooler temps here in SC (under 100) should get in maiden this week.......the new style will be different from my regular type......also at the same time working to finish v3 of the pusher style.

say tuned as my 2 latest birds take off........

Looking forward to the fall and cooler temps. plus doing fly in and the e week at Triple Tree (Joe Nall) here in SC.
Hey Chipped !!
Hows about allowing us to see some "before maiden" pictures so we can all have a nibble at your meal !!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:17 AM
chippedprop

I can do that i have some I'll post today.....
Eweek at joe nall (triple tree) is coming up sure would be nice if we get a group togather

www.joenall.com/eweek/eweek.htm
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
chippedprop

pictures of new Stryker
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20922.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1782644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57308.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1782645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36844.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1782646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75914.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1782647  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
chippedprop

Experimental Stryker

Name:	Us53949.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1782649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17572.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1782650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41978.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1782651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13481.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1782652  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM
eghershey

Just a note to remind everyone that you shouldn't get in a rush when building any RC plane.
I just rebuilt my stryker with a new fuselage investment and transfer of parts. Trick paint and attention to detail. Brought it to the field this morning and the normal group of ole foggy's were there and they gave me a couple grunts of appreciation. I double checked and they double checked and a friend gave it a toss for its maiden flight. Took off nearly perfect.....couple clicks of down elevator and one right click and I slowed it down a bit. Soon as I slowed, it went into a frisbie spin....cut power and it slowly spun on its own axis to the ground. The only possible explaination was perhaps an aileron connection was left loose??????? Perhaps???
Picked up the plane and it was upside down, laying flat on the ground unhurt and in perfect shape.
Finally figured out that I left the twin rudders off the plane.........Nobody picked up on that before the flight. Double check, Double Check, Double Check...
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM
chippedprop

Still working on the front drive stryker.....canopy is the latest challenge....and the cg almost have that in hand
Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
chippedprop

front motor stryker complete

maiden this weekend

Name:	Ki18506.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1788387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56624.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1788388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20389.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1788389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65331.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1788390  
Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM
chippedprop

Well I tried and failed with the high rpm power on the front mount stryker so................will convert back to regular  stryker. It was fun to try. Just could not get the cg-thrust angle-etc. to come together....oh well
Chip
Old 08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
moparmyway

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

Well I tried and failed with the high rpm power on the front mount stryker so................will convert back to regular stryker. It was fun to try. Just could not get the cg-thrust angle-etc. to come together....oh well
Chip
Sorry Chipped !
At least you are going to get it flying as a regular Stryker, your builds allways inspire me !!!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
prop planter

Wow, sooo much info and not nearly enough time to dig through it all.

A couple of questions....

I've had the F-27c, and am thinking of now getting Q PNP.

Can I use a ZIPPY Compact 2200mAh 4S 35C Lipo with the stock electronics?
Is there a good prop upgrade to use with the stock electronics?

I'm not trying to build a record breaker, plenty here have done that.

I was just thinking that since I need batteries anyway, maybe I could get some that would perform a little better.

Hope someone here knows......
Old 08-24-2012, 01:05 PM
chippedprop

1-the Q stryker
has a 40 e-flite esc.....which will run 4 cells
stock prop is a 6x6...on 4 cells you will be over the esc rated amps
You will have to have a watt meter to play with diff props....I would suggest a apc 5.5x 4.5 on 4 cells to start

2-stay with the 3 cell and try this... nano tech batterys from hobby king......or geneis batterys from banana hobbys ...has deans included ...45 c
3- apc 6x5.5 prop

You may see a little better preformance
Cp

Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
mudboger07

Well after a bad landing on the super stryker im in the works on a new build, this time instead of glassing id like to use paint, my questions is what type of paint are you guys using when you paint over foam, Iplan on painting and popcorning the foam, adding carbon rods and woodin alerons. also were are you buying your paint at?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM
moparmyway

Well after a bad landing on the super stryker im in the works on a new build, this time instead of glassing id like to use paint, my questions is what type of paint are you guys using when you paint over foam, I plan on painting and popcorning the foam, adding carbon rods and woodin alerons. also were are you buying your paint at?

Thanks
Hi Mud !!

If you are going to coat over the popcorn, its best to spray paint between the first and second epoxy coating.
This allows the paint to contact the epoxy only, and will really shine and be protected from peeling and scrapes.
A second coat of epoxy isnt as heavy as the first, and will only add about an ounce or two if done super thin !!

Sometimes when you popcorn the foam, after painting the foam, the paint changes color or runs into the epoxy and makes a mess .............
The second coat of epoxy does not get the heat treatment, just a thin coat, then a couple or three days to cure.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM
mudboger07

Well after a bad landing on the super stryker im in the works on a new build, this time instead of glassing id like to use paint, my questions is what type of paint are you guys using when you paint over foam, Iplan on painting and popcorning the foam, adding carbon rods and woodin alerons. also were are you buying your paint at?

Thanks
Hi Mud !!

If you are going to coat over the popcorn, its best to spray paint between the first and second epoxy coating.
This allows the paint to contact the epoxy only, and will really shine and be protected from peeling and scrapes.
A second coat of epoxy isnt as heavy as the first, and will only add about an ounce or two if done super thin !!

Sometimes when you popcorn the foam, after painting the foam, the paint changes color or runs into the epoxy and makes a mess .............
The second coat of epoxy does not get the heat treatment, just a thin coat, then a couple or three days to cure.

Hey Mopar, how have ya been, Im trying to make this build lighter than the last, would it hold up to just painting over the foam? granted ive added alot of carbon rods for strength. So far besides the carbon, ive added woodin trailing edges and wooden elavons and uprights, but id like to keep the main fuse as light as possible, whats your thoughts of just painting over the foam oafter popcorning, or at the very least glass with a small amoutn of cloth just under the battery area and possibly a very thin layer of reson on the bottom side only an dleave the top just paint over popcorn?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
eghershey

Krylon makes H2O latex paint. Basic real colors. It will paint your Stryker without popcorning the foam. You can get a really nice paint job. Its hard to find, some Ace Hardwares carry it or can order it in 6 can, same color lots.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:23 PM
moparmyway

Hey Mopar, how have ya been, Im trying to make this build lighter than the last, would it hold up to just painting over the foam? granted ive added alot of carbon rods for strength. So far besides the carbon, ive added woodin trailing edges and wooden elavons and uprights, but id like to keep the main fuse as light as possible, whats your thoughts of just painting over the foam oafter popcorning, or at the very least glass with a small amoutn of cloth just under the battery area and possibly a very thin layer of reson on the bottom side only an dleave the top just paint over popcorn?
You could just paint on top of the "popcorn" finish.
I tried that way back when I was first playing around, and the paint got boogered up after a few flights. A little here and a little there ............... made me just "paint" another light coat over my next touch up job, and it was great for the rest of its life.

Your call, but the extra epoxy coat is allmost weightless if you do it thin ..........................

Even if you glass it, lay the resin, lay the glass, then give her the heat treatment and keep the glass tight to the fuse. You will see the "popcorn" through the glass !!!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
firstman

Hello everyone. I haven't flown a Stryker for about 5 years. I did have a brushless motor, glassed fuse(sandable epoxy anyway), carbon fiber tubes, so on and so on. But given how long it has been I sure could use a little setup help. I am going to build from scratch with my son. Still going to epoxy and carbon reinforce. I think that we are going to use the E-flite six series 2700 Kv unless you can give a better suggestion in that price range. Will the Eflite 40 amp ESC be a good choice? What prop would you recommend? My son is just learning and don't want too much too fast, but still want something fun for me.
Like I said it has been quite a while since I have been in the elec flight game and need your help.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 PM
mudboger07

mopar, we ended up just glassing the inside of the battery area, and leaving the rest just painted surface, the maden went real well and was able to slow it down alot slower this time, the weight came out to just at 3# with the 5 cell 5000 mah battery in it so that aint to bad, now to get some vid of it going, well have someone at our field videoing our fun fly on the 20 so ill get soem then and post a flight, its prett cool all us old guys sitting around watching my 12 old son run this thing around the sky...lol

You could just paint on top of the "popcorn" finish.
I tried that way back when I was first playing around, and the paint got boogered up after a few flights. A little here and a little there ............... made me just "paint" another light coat over my next touch up job, and it was great for the rest of its life.

Your call, but the extra epoxy coat is allmost weightless if you do it thin ..........................

Even if you glass it, lay the resin, lay the glass, then give her the heat treatment and keep the glass tight to the fuse. You will see the "popcorn" through the glass !!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.