Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Ziroli Stearman Idea

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Ziroli Stearman Idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Fear2722
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Stearman Idea

What's going on everyone? I'm finishing up the frame-up of my 87" Ziroli Stearman. I can't help but think how cool it would be to have the wing center section be the fuel cell just like the real bird. As of now, unless I inherit some unforseen windfall of money, I will be powering the beauty with a G-62. My plan is to make a second center section as a mold/plug, and lay one up with fiberglass, and having wood roots, leading and trailing edge. I haven't calculated the amount of fuel it will hold when done, but I think it will be an awesome addition.

Question is, how well does fiberglass and resin hold up to gasoline? Do I need to go about this a different way to bring the dream to life? Never have taken on a glass project like this, so all your advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ziroli Stearman Idea

You might also consider making your own custom brass fuel take. It's not all that difficult with some thin brass sheet and basic soldering skills. One worry I would have with the fiberglass (apart from whether it is truly fuel proof) is that I'd want the INSIDE of the tank to be completely free of loose fibers. There's also the question of whether a gravity feed tank works with our RC models. I'm no expert, just throwing out some thoughts.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
denoferth
My Feedback: (71)

Sounds like a plan but I’d put a shut-off cock in the line and there is another issue. I've been following the Tailwind and Dyke Delta homebuilt sites and people there have reported many problems with alcohol in auto fuel. Some even reported leak problems with rubber bladders in metal tanks when they started using auto gas with only 10% alcohol. I see Sears and a few other stores are now selling cans of alcohol-free gasoline. Maybe in our application, where the fuel tank only holds fuel when we are flying and not for longer periods parked in the hanger, it would work. I’d still make up a test panel with the epoxy I would be using and submerge it in a jar of gas for a few months to see if it showed any deterioration.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to research the right epoxy; hobby epoxy will not be good enough. You might need s backup plan in case the tank has problems a couple of years from now.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Fear2722

I was thinking more along the lines of structural adhesive used in full scale composite and fiberglass applications. The brass idea doesn't sound too bad either. If this comes to life, my fix for the fuel delivery issue (should the G62 require it) is just to throw a pump in the fore end of the fuselage. The bad thing about good ideas is the amount of work it takes to make them fruitful sometimes! Thanks all
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Idigbo

A G62 will pump fuel from a tank in the tailplane if it has to!! I've had a couple of De Havilland models where the tank is in or on the top wing. The first prime of the day takes a few seconds, but once there you'll have no issues. Since the carb is a sealed, pumped unit, you'll have no issues with syphoning either. I have a 1/2 scale Flying Flea on the go at the moment (its actually been on the go a few years) and that has a geared Zenoah 22 and the tank will be in the wing. I'll make it from tinplate, soldered up with normal soft solder. You can obtain a screw top filler by using the top of a tinplate can, simply cut the fitting off an old can, leaving enough spare for a good soldering surface and solder away. Be sure to do a thread when you start, it'd be interesting for sure!!!

Heres a couple of pics of my models that had tinplate tanks on the wing. A DH Tiger Moth and an Airco DH2, both 1/3 scale and powered by a Z62

Ian.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21212.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1807121   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43480.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1807122  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Fear2722

Where do you get the tinplate at? I've never taken on a project that would require it! Do you need to pressure test them at all?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Idigbo

I use old oil cans, dismantle with tin snips and clean thoroughly. I don't pressure test at all, but do test them with a full tank of petrol. Best thing is to make sure the parts fit well with a good soldering flange. Tin the parts well and then solder away. Its very rewarding to make a scale tank that works. You'll need a clunk filter, this can be either permanently fitted to the tank structure, but I fit the fittings into a removable screw cap for serviceability.

Ian.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 PM
eagle1945

any tank you deside on, should be coated with gas tank liner. its cheap and light waight. i'm using 2 olive oil cans as tanks for my PBY, both are cut open and baffeled put back together andsoldered andthen coated to make them completely sealed.