Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

I need help selecting the best Throttle Servo for a DA-50 in a 30% Yak

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

I need help selecting the best Throttle Servo for a DA-50 in a 30% Yak

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM
marksextra
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need help selecting the best Throttle Servo for a DA-50 in a 30% Yak

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Great... good stuff... but the argument was about centering accuracy (for example; do the ailerons always return to the exact same position when the stick is released on the radio)... and to my knowledge, that data is not available. Thanks for the try.

I would like to see it if someone has a cite.

There was an arguement? I didn't see it. Just you asking for citations and data and the like....all on a simple "what's the best throttle servo?" thread. Not which servo centers best thread.

ANYWAYS......

Good stuff guys. It seems there is a quite a difference of opinions.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I need help selecting the best Throttle Servo for a DA-50 in a 30% Yak

OK .... there must be a real topic shortage here.
5 pages on which servo to use on the throttle of a 50cc YAK ... Geez, we better not have a thread on the rudder servo!
I think I might join the grumpy team
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 PM
p51Dpony

Thanks all I'm enjoying the multiple thought tangents and inputs.

I like sullivan nyrods, thats the red sheath and yellow inner rod with screw on ends I believe?  One problem for anyone who flies hardcore in cold weather those things do get brittle.  I've never had one break, but I've seen an old one (which probably makes it weaker) snap like a twig in sub zero weather to very gentle manipulation.  My first 30+ years of life were in and around Minnesota so this is an issue.  On that thought, the PVC airplane racks that people put in their trailer, they get brittle in the cold too!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 PM
p51Dpony

On the subject of throttle pushrods I'm using the sullivan nyrod type gear, there is a heavy duty verson w/ 4-40 hdware.  I've also done many with good old fashion 5/16" wooden dowel with wire ends attached and nylon clevis on end of the wire.  I haven't used carbon fiber pushrods on throttle of gassers because I don't know what its electrical properties are and the word "carbon" makes me think it might conduct electricity (hence ignition noise to radio) -anybody have insight on that?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ari,

You know what I do, and I'm pretty sure you know what it's with since one version flies at your house too. Ya gotta figure that if you're stuff is high enough in value, both financially and tactically, you've qualified what's used in them.

People get pretty ticked when they discover there's people out there that won't give away the bank but that's too bad. They are in the front of the line when stuff is up for the taking but when it comes to doing a little of the work themselves they always cry foul. Just about every time they lament how there must not be any valid data since none was provided. Always a weak attempt to try and guilt people into giving everything up. They would be really mad if they found out about all the stuff they can't have no matter how hard they tried.

I'm definately not one of the amatuers. I'm of the opinion a few people should invest a couple of their own dollars and verify my "assertions" on their own dime and time.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 AM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man
I'm definately not one of the amatuers. I'm of the opinion a few people should invest a couple of their own dollars and verify my ''assertions'' on their own dime and time.
Agreed!
Adopting that strategy might even save a few $$$ in the long run.
An old wisdon has that "quality is still there long after the price has been forgotten"
Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: w8ye

For the record - 12 bit resolution is 4096
Wow!

that's twice what a current JR Transmitter is putting out, is that right?

I guess Hi-tec has plans for that, eh?

I mean, you can't realize 4096 steps over 60 degress of motion if the transmitter and RX and servo are not all on the same page, can you?

That would be way to fine a resolution for an analog device such as a carb....but I can see that paying returns on a flight surface for pattern or IMAC guys
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: p51Dpony

On the subject of throttle pushrods I'm using the sullivan nyrod type gear, there is a heavy duty verson w/ 4-40 hdware. I've also done many with good old fashion 5/16'' wooden dowel with wire ends attached and nylon clevis on end of the wire. I haven't used carbon fiber pushrods on throttle of gassers because I don't know what its electrical properties are and the word ''carbon'' makes me think it might conduct electricity (hence ignition noise to radio) -anybody have insight on that?
CF pushrods should not be used for throttle or choke servos because of their electric conductive property.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: cap10b

Just try to fly and get your $$ worth and sell it before you hit the ground or your time is up.

jds

I have been trying to sell some of my used stuff around the field....wanted to get down to 3 planes......market no good right now for sure, especially for jet guys....[:'(]

ORIGINAL: marksextra

There was an arguement? I didn't see it. Just you asking for citations and data and the like....all on a simple ''what's the best throttle servo?'' thread. Not which servo centers best thread.

ANYWAYS......

Good stuff guys. It seems there is a quite a difference of opinions.

Man, I'll say......I never thought I would see more than 3 or 4 replies on this one....probably shoun't have....so I am combining my replies as the OP to prevent "Thread Sprawl"

I expected one JR guy, One Futaba guy, and one Hi-tec guy to reply

ORIGINAL: apalsson

OK .... there must be a real topic shortage here.
5 pages on which servo to use on the throttle of a 50cc YAK ... Geez, we better not have a thread on the rudder servo!
I think I might join the grumpy team
You saw my grumpy coffee cup a few posts back.......the club is growing for sure[X(] I guess gas prices on the rise is creating a "Topic Shortage"

And I also agree with apalsson on quality....it remains long after original purchase price is gone.....and P51....I am not sure about the electrical issues with carbon but I use those sullivan nylon rods since there is not much freezing weather on South FL.....thank god!

So for those that did not go back and read all 100+ post..... I selected a Hi-tec HS-5625MG for throttle, and HS-5645MG for the choke......I am sure they will work fine, as I will take my time with the setup as many have made good points about......

So this should be winding down here.......(Wink,Wink)

Thanks again guys, lots of great info....and if this thread keeps going, I will be in the back selling the popcorn[X(]

Happy New Year!
Tom

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

For whatever it is worth:

Question to HiTec; Could you please tell me if the following statement is true?

The high end digital servos mostly have inductive axis position resolvers and do not use potentiometers or pots as referred to.

Could you expand on what makes a servo center properly...

HiTec Answer With Permission to Post Here:

With “Hobby Servos” this is incorrect. They all have mechanical Potentiometers and use them for centering, however they are aided by an internal timing reference in the chip. A Digital servo is checking the position vs signal more often than an analog servo which contributes to a Digital servo having “better centering”. Other factors that can contribute to the accuracy of centering is the type of Motor, i.e. cored vs coreless, the quality of the Potentiometer, the amount of cycles on the Potentiometer, overall resolution in the servo circuit, resolution of the transmitter and “dead band” (which is adjustable with our servos). Higher end servos tend to have more expensive motors (coreless), more expensive potentiometers, and higher resolution which should all contribute to better centering. Our newest G2.5 servos are also 12 bit, which is currently higher than any Transmitter can offer as far as resolution but most sport level servos have less resolution than the higher end Transmitters.

The only exception to a physical Potentiometer is our HS-7990MH which utilizes a Magnetic Encoder instead of a physical potentiometer. Centering accuracy should be equal but the Encoder will not wear over time and should maintain its accuracy indefinitely. However this is unlikely to be noticed in a Hobby Application.
Same Question asked of Other Manufs... nothing received at the time of this post.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Nickolas

Hi Guys,

I recently had a throttle servo failure in my gas 50cc model. The servo was a Hobbico mini/mid size with metal gears. I can not remember the code. I was in a rolling harrier but fortunatelly managed to land in upright.

The new throttle servo ordered because I was in a rush is this SAVOX (gyro use):
[link]http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SH1257MG_Micro_Digital_Servo_p/savsh1257mg.htm[/link]

It is very fast but the torque is 2,7Kg 1t 6V with metal gears.

Any opinions about this choice please?

Thanks and best regards,
Nikos

Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

"Ideal for rudder on 450 level helis, CCPM on 500 level helis, and steering servo on 1/12th scale cars."

Way more than necessary, but should be just fine... mounting is a big issue to reduce the vibration in the connection to the carb. I like using golden rod or similar to keep from using a metal rod if possible.

ORIGINAL: Nickolas

Hi Guys,

I recently had a throttle servo failure in my gas 50cc model. The servo was a Hobbico mini/mid size with metal gears. I can not remember the code. I was in a rolling harrier but fortunately managed to land in upright.

The new throttle servo ordered because I was in a rush is this SAVOX (gyro use):
[link]http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SH1257MG_Micro_Digital_Servo_p/savsh1257mg.htm[/link]

It is very fast but the torque is 2,7Kg 1t 6V with metal gears.

Any opinions about this choice please?

Thanks and best regards,
Nikos
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use hitec HS-65hb and HS65MG for my throttles and choke for my little 30-35cc engines. i clipped the spring on throttle and remove the ball bearing and spring on the choke. i take off or grind off the throttle stop not needed. i dont care if it voids the warranty as if i needed to send in i would just buy another carb for 35-40 dollars. i set up the connections sullivan ball links, 2/56 push rods with jam nuts. i use a hitech vibration isolation material for the servos lol (fuel line). i make sure there isnt any slop or drag on the set up. i like simple and light set ups.

now if something bigger i might go up to a HS85mg or HS87MG HV for throttle just for easy of operation.

I also find it funny how guys say to leave the throttle sping connect "in case the push, push/pull or pull rod" breaks lol what if the push rod breaks on the elevator whats your back up then NONE so why do it on the throttle. LEARN how to set up control set ups correctly. You already have a throttle kill switch installed that is operated from the transmitter as mandated by AMA.

Now with my thoughts it is a hobby fly what ever you like and set it up how ever you like and use what ever equipment makes you happy.

T.O.M is right on proper set up and you dont need super big servos. back in the day we would fly 8 pound 60 size planes at 120 MPH with non digital servos at 50 ounces of torque now guys flying same planes install servos that have over 300 ounces and digital. i bet most all the non digital servos out there now are 500% better than the old ones.