Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Losi Mini DT, Stripped diff gears, Replaced, Doesnt move

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Losi Mini DT, Stripped diff gears, Replaced, Doesnt move

Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Rnaodm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Mini DT, Stripped diff gears, Replaced, Doesnt move

So the trucks only about 8 months old, but its been sitting unused for about three months.

I bought the Losi insane motor as i was unhappy with the stock performance, It ran fine twice, then you would just hear it spin, tires would barely rotate.

I dont know much about the internals, but I followed a guide, took the gearbox out and opened it up, the spider gears were stripped.

I bought metal ones, installed and put everything back together.

But the tires still barely spin, and any kind of resistence on the tires and just the motor/diff gear spins up.

So obviously I did something wrong, Im really intimidated when it comes to motor/tranny work and Ive put off trying it again.

How much do you think itll cost to have it done at a hobby shop? should I just sell it to someone who knows what theyre doing?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Losi Mini DT, Stripped diff gears, Replaced, Doesnt move

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSB0202_Manual.pdf

This is the user manual, go to Page 4, it's most likely the slipper clutch. Tighten up the slipper clutch.

Or it could be the screw on the pinion gear is loose.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Rnaodm

Its neither, Ive tried both multiple times, I think some how the spider gears are slipping/not catching.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you probably didn't put them in right
just take it apart and take it easy.
I've had both issues before where the diff wouldn't spin, or where it did similar as you. in the wouldn't spin screws were too tight, and where it was spinning free the screws were not tight enough.

This is just general advice btw as I don't own that model.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Rnaodm

Yea I have today off, nothing to do, I'll take it apart again

So I took it apart, The diff spun perfectly, My fingers are killing me as I didnt have the right size screwdriver so I had to improvise.

Put it back together again, it seems to roll better unfortunately the batteries in my remote are dead! ill have to pick some up later, Ill let ya know how it works out.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Rnaodm

What screws do you mean? The ones holding the diff case together? I lost two, would that cause the gears to not be seated properly? the case still seems to be closed solid, Now it just seems like all the power doesnt get transferred to the wheels, and there's a metal on metal Clacking sound

It only took me an hour to take it apart/put it back together. I might do it again tomorrow and actually open up the diff case.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Foxy

Yeh, those two extra screws will make a difference to the meshing of the gears inside the differential. You need all 4 and you need a GOOD screwdriver the right size to do them up properly. With just two screws, even if they are fully tightened, it may not mesh right.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Yeh, those two extra screws will make a difference to the meshing of the gears inside the differential. You need all 4 and you need a GOOD screwdriver the right size to do them up properly. With just two screws, even if they are fully tightened, it may not mesh right.
agree 10000% it needs even force to hold together right. If one sides not even tightened down properly it can cause skipping

Rnaodm if you said you lost screws right off the bat it would have been way easier to diagnose.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Rnaodm

Thanks I will have to order the screws online, I dont have a good hobby shop close by.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Rnaodm

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

agree 10000% it needs even force to hold together right. If one sides not even tightened down properly it can cause skipping

Rnaodm if you said you lost screws right off the bat it would have been way easier to diagnose.

I'm sorry I didn't realize they were missing until I took it apart, Thanks alot for everyone's help. Ive found them online and will be ordering them shortly.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Rnaodm

So when I took it apart the first time, there was very little grease in the diff, I resued what I could, but now that im taking out the diff again to check the gears, Replace the missing screws, Should I add grease, if so what do you guys reccomend, just the standard losi "great" grease?

Im ordering the screws now, I can add grease to the order If I must.

Thanks again for all your help on getting me back on the dirt!