Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

After been encouraged by Kites video - I went out and had a great 3ft face session this morning down at Long Beach ( no video - dear Lisa -Marie is sick in bed with the Flu)
Going to pull another session this evening at Fishoek..................

Some recent footage of our local Kalk Bay reef .....I am really hoping to get Bro onto the face 'sometime' ......when it is not crowded ( if ever)
I will be in the same position as the fellow filming this, which will be real cool................

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-cCVjOWtzs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Great weekend y'all !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 AM
bearcave

YPC congrats on your vids....nice music #20.. yessurfing is addictive.

The vid i posted of the hellmen takin on the big ones with the oils music amazes me every time i watch it...You sayyou might be scared stiff ha i doubt i'd be flexible enough to get out of the boat.... 7mins in is where the stallin carveing stylin happens damn i like that vid.

ANYWAY Turning left doesn't always mean left and throttle control steers a car... I doubt many of you guys are into noisy oil burning cars but am adding this video of Ari Vatenen in a Peugeot 405 climbing pikes peak late 80's for all to see that when in fluid motion what you think is real sometimes is not.... and I will try hard not toadd any more car vids to this forum.....

Currently working on a helmet cam like Kitekooks to hopefully get something to add to this forum... Btw nice work Kite the surfers out the back acting like whales, or floating rocks, not seeing Melika getting all the waves is good too, hopefully they will stay like whales for a while yet omg imagine if they all had an rc surfer![youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edLnXzAwHVc&feature=share&list=PL468460FD4 D4909F6[/youtube]
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 AM
bearcave

YPC... plenty of different video camera's takin shots of this climb i think Peugeot spent some bucks gettin this film together... I know you will have many sleepless nights workin out how to do it rc surfer wise!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 AM
YPC

Hey BearCave......pushing the PLAY button is optional...its always great to know what makes others Buzzzzzz !

Man that was awesome to watch....I can see why he has no 'co-pilot'.....LOL....Sun in the eyes and all...dam close to the edge.......a true master at the wheel....!

To add my bit to the change of pace ..sharing some the 'other side' to ourselves ..here is one of our F1Gas outboard races from 2011...All the boats racing are built by myself....I am racing the Orange boat. I retired from racing Gas this year to work on developing HVFE ( High Voltage Fast electric) Electric F1 Outboards for 2013.

Electric power is certainly the foreseable future for any of the rc sports....huge power and speed...with far more usage opportunity ( less restrictions)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOS3UsCkVMA[/youtube]

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

AKA in F1 Racing - Dom the BOMB !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15933.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1808004  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

YPC Hey thanks for the prop info. Its like finding the right gear/motor to run on my rc oval cars. I would plugin the numbers into my fantom dyno and it would pick the right pinion and gear to run. Looks like the weather will be good for one more weekend. We got to go.Im always surprized how well these boards handel. They turn on a dime. I get better every time I got out. Great videos guys. Keep them comming. It help me think of more moves to try out.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM
kitekook

Dom...thanks for the heads up on the spelling...I guess I had been looking at the computer screen tooooo long yesterday.

Huge...you are always welcome around here. Start picking MJ's brain...I'm sure he's holding onto secret stashes of clean waves around here.

Bear....The helmet cam easy to make..(helmet...aluminum for the brackets and some bolts)..can be quite frustrating. Aiming the camera on the helmet to get the shot, how much zoom, not moving the head,moving the head and not just the eyes to follow the action, and focus issues....all make for missed rides...it is getting better with practice.

There is a new product on the market called the SoloShot($$$)...but we move in and out of the line up, can't see using it because it would have to be zoomed way out to get the action..now if it also went up/down as well as right/left...that would be the ticket!

Funny, I used to feel dorkie wearing the helmet cam...now I feel naked without it!

Hopefully Santa will bring me a new Camcorder, if not Uncle Sam will...

Stills are so much easier...video is magic for sure.

I went by WindanSea yesterday afternoon...35 surfers in the water all jockeying around for medium sized walls of mush...I had batteries charged, just couldn't bring myself to get wet.

I am ruined!

I want unwanted, inside, glassy long rides...

OK! a set wave or two would be nice.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kite

your vid is awesome ,,cant belive you can video at the same time you surf , and those waves so clean, love it kite keep them coming

maui john

Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM
jocktime

Dom,
Thanks for reminding me about the GoPro.
We usually bring the GoPro with the other cameras but
always forget to use it. So, tomorrow were going for it.
long runtimes, jock
Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

mike board

mikes new ride coming along nicely

maui john

PS he is a goofy footer

Name:	Db83738.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1808156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91967.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1808157   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26108.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1808158  
Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM
kitekook

Here is a photo of my helmet cam...

basic skateboard helmet with alum brackets bolted on

Toughest part was getting the headliner to come out...hint...the glue is in the front and back areas of the helmet...

The video camera is an old Sanyo Xacti...bonus is that it is waterproof...the new ones are 1080 !

You can see I had to epoxy a bolt into the camera mount...I just beat it so bad it stripped out.

The still camera is a Canon powershot G-10 , running chdk firmware...it allows among other things to shoot continuously ,,,I get a shot every three seconds with this camera. A little heavy for this application...but it was paid for and takes great pictures!

There is a spot for a third camera...I haven't used that spot yet.

The beauty of it all is that it is hands free.

I get the Surfer ready to hit the water....battery,radio, bolts all secure.

Then I put the helmet on and start up the cameras.

Strap it on...and let the Surfer rip!

At the end...I turn off the cameras and then unarm the Surfer.

Like I said before I used to feel dorkie wearing it...but I really like the images and the videos...don't care what it looks like anymore!

ps MJ nice new board in progress...sweet looking bug under wraps in the background.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 AM
YPC

Great STUFF Guys...........keep the inspiration 'flowing'......

I had two great sessions yesterday - another good one this morning - and hopefully another session this evening-mostly 1-3 ft face - great fun- my entire family is down with Flu - so I am filling in the gaps with rcSURFING !....................aaaaahhhh !

For some great surfing moves to practice when you are out there - http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/5...es-ever-pulled

Just watching these moves makes me realise just how 'capable and radical' our little fellows actual are..........perhaps we could work on a few moves to even inspire the Pro's.....

Ive got the 'Kerrupt Flip' or 'Crazy Spin' & the Hail Mary sorted - need to work on our local boy 'Jordy Smiths 'Rodeo'............................

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 AM
bearcave

YPC. even though the noisy oil burning 2stroke beasts of rc are still up there with thepower bands noiseetc i think you are right electric power is the now and future.... btw i already checked out your F1 tunnel race before i made a noise on this forum....didn't know you built em all but!

A few years back i wasshareing a workshop with a couple of boatmechanics one which raced real F1 boats... one of his hull makers put strake's in the hard edges half way down to increase turning ability... was happy i sharedthe facthis theory made sense when others didn't..... the other dude raced big block blown V8 engines in flat or semiV hulls towing skiers very fast.... Long story short the building was knocked down and we all went our ways... F1 dude just retired from raceing to have more babies and V8 dudestill hasa nitro F1 and a 1/4scale F1 boat he runs for pleasure now and then..... performance wise F1 tunnel hulls are the ultimate in mixing turning with speed hey...

Kitekook. Thanks for the heads up on the head angles and well all of it regarding Helmet cam....Your mechanical get it done without aesthetics go is great and yes it will bea challenge butyour go at itgives me positive motivation...in my eyes betterthan having a camera on the transmitterand themeg*****$ solo shot is probnot that suited to whats happening hey...

My having a go at this is based on a cricket/baseball cap. (see picture) Very heavy duty capwithtwo bolts already in place either side... thinkina bracket prob bent alloyto hold the camera one sideand bent alloy goinbackwards other side for a counter weight so it stays level onmy head... maybe lol... and yep i will be looked at as a dork too but reckon the hard helmet will give me protection from the nasty bubble people hitting me cause i am unusual and haha i can take vids of them attacking me so thepolice willknow who to look for,,,,,,,,

All good rc surfers.... and Hugh keep up the V versus flat challenge... no offence Kite but Hughs girl getting her ribs fixed showing her Gstring bum was interesting.. oops sorry maybe i went to far then but hey feminine women surfing always looks good...

Name:	By76645.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1808265  
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 AM
bearcave

btw that sick little bug under wraps is something special hey
Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Hughengland

Sat Maui report:
last day of 7 days film work wrapped early - straight to Paia Bay, rising north swell 3-5 ft.
picture taken thru truck window of another surf spot a few miles from Paia Bay (breakes tooo far out for rc from shore)
Tita - 3 batteries
Silver Surfer - 2 batteries
Paia Bay sunset taken with iphone between sets
swell is suposed to stay for few days - more to come from Maui

Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 AM
kitekook

Good To Hear Team Hugh is out in the Surf Again!!!!

I have been making repairs getting ready for a return trip to the Northern reaches of San Diego County...County line is in between Uppers and Cottons....got three days off again.

I decided not to waste any more gas looking for Surf locally...Gas has gone through the roof lately (I saw 5.69 yesterday...I paid 4.61 at my usual spot)...and the waves all look like big walls of mush around here anyways being protected by young hotheads!

Besides running twenty five batteries is enough to suppress my addiction the rest of the week. Not to mention the time needed to do the photo/video editing...makes for a full week.

Hopefully you will hook up with the rest of the crew so we can see Team Hugh carving it up!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Hughengland

Maui look into the future:

Sunday the swell has dropped with new swell arriving Monday - click or paste the link below and see what we have coming Monday

http://omaui.com/maui-surf-report-for-october-7th-2012/
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM
kitekook

WOW! Hugh

I'm off Tues,Wed, and Thursday...I'm not sure the Divas would survive that North Shore swell forecast.

Good Luck and looking forward to some photos/videos...

Thanks for the link...I bookmarked it.

question....where do I look for the forecast for 'Jaws'? When is it the biggest? That's when I want to be in Maui.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Hughengland

Kite: When Maui North Shore forecasts +20 ft, then "JAWS" is usually working.
Jaws is less than 3 miles from my house - I can see the ocean swell hitting from my lanai but I cannot see the wave because there is a cliff there.
John says he wants to rc surf Jaws this winter, I will be sure to have my camera ready!

With the big swell coming I have been spending Sunday modifying Silver Surfer so he can take 2 x 5000mah bricks in parallel
- when the waves get big my Leopard 4082 heats up the 4 cells - will have to order some 5 or 6 cells later tonight

Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM
stalyoni

Guys I finally put the new water cooling pipes in my surfer and I took it out on the weekend. I got the new footbands sent to me from surf curls so thank you so much for them. I fitted one where it was broken and I was good to go. Heres the video of my session. The surf was huge every where else and I decided to put it out here for a quick run.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-AonEXKeE[/youtube]

It had a run of about 4:30mins and at the end the motor overheated and finally ceased.

Tripper where you running your 3900kv motor on a 3s because I only had mine on half throttle and the motor was super hot and ceased.

I have some green tacon 2858 2618kv motors. I think I will fit one of these motors in and try it at 3/4 throttle and see how it goes. The best part is that after the motor ceased that she was out there for a good ten minutes or more and shes nice and water tight. The esc was cool when we got her in but the motor was very hot to touch.

I will just have to fit the new motor and see how she goes then. This hobby is all about trial and error and im not down for the count yet. The good part is that i have used items that I had anyways so its cost me nothing so far really.

For the short time I had her out there surfing I had so much fun with it. I love this so much now and cant wait to get her going again.

I forgot to add that I have a custom hat with a bolt threw the brim and it screws into the bottom of my camera and this is how I film most of my stuff. Ill try and get pics of it up soon. This is the best idea I have seen to film ones self.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 PM
stalyoni

This is what I use to film myself. Its just a normal hat with a bolt through the brim that fits into the universal camera mount. The great part is that the universal camera mount is the same size on all cameras so it will fit any camera that you have.

I had a sony wx50 camera but the memory card slot stuffed up. Sony lost it in the warranty process so I just got an upgrade and got the sony wx100 for nothing. This camera will do AVCHD 24m FX 1080P 60fps videos and they come out silky smooth.

I have been filming myself this way for years and it works well. Ive had over 50,000 hits on my youtube channel for all the hobby videos that I have done.

Heres an example of my hat and new camera in action:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOnEJW1Y7Bo[/youtube]

I have also seen other people using epoxy and using a bolt and mounting it to sunglasses and having sucess filming themselves.

Anyways I hope this idea helps someone out.

www.youtube.com/stalyoni

Brendon.

Name:	Fd92221.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1809207  
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 AM
YPC

Howzit Guys !.....dam the flu eventually got me to !....I was man down come Saturday evening....cant complain, I had four great sessions Friday and Saturday.

Maui 's looking 'HUGE"

Stayloni - I ran the 3900 kv motor/3s combo for quite sometime with no overheating issues.If you weere using a prop bigger than a 27mm diameter - that may have been a issue with 3s as the load would have been high. Each - motor /ESC had its own cooling as yours.It is however a better combo with a 2s set up as long as it weighs under 2kg's
Looking at the shore-break you were playing in - VERY SANDY- it may be that you got sand blocked in the cooling pipes - I have had that happen a few times - you need to be very alert of a power drop when playing in the shore-break. Its a 'instant sign that their is a blockage.

I always 'Blowout' and spray wd40 into my lube pipes after a days session - kind of like flushing a jet ski or outboard motor after use - essential to get all possible sand out of the two cooling jackets before it hardens. You could also simply flush it out with water if you had a reduced pipe leading from the hose.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 AM
stalyoni

ypc thanks for the tips. Ill get dad to check it soon. That motor is ceased now so I will have to run the tacon motors I have

do you think a 2858 motor will fit?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 AM
YPC

Stayloni............make sure that you check the ESC's cooling system is clear of any sand or blockage.

The 2858 should fit looking at previous pictures you posted -the water cooling jacket from the siezed motor should also fit- what is the kv of the motor ?

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 AM
stalyoni

I just rang dad before and he is going to check for blockage on my surfer.

The 2858 motor is 2618kv. We use these motors in our 700mm piranha rc boats and they run well and do not overheat.

I will be running the stock 27mm prop so do you think this motor would be ok?

Its been modded to use a 28mm sized motor now so if you dont think this motor would be ok on 3s then what do you suggest?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM
YPC

Stayloni.....the 2858 should also be a 28mm diameter motor. The kv is much lower so should work very well with the 3s/27mm prop combo.

Also try starting with the motor timing set at ZERO degrees- if you feel that the motor is cool and you desire more speed then step the timing up - if need be.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.