Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

expired date turbine oil

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

expired date turbine oil

Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 AM
tiporare
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expired date turbine oil

hi every one
i have a few cans of expired date turbine oil .
can i use them?
i talked to friend of mine which is aviation engineer and he told me thet i can use it
with no problem
i will be glad to hear more opinions
thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: expired date turbine oil

I'm curious to know (as a new RC turbine pilot) what experies in the turbine oil? Is there a "best if sold by" date on the side of the container you have?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem to use, the oil has several additives for full size use which deteriorate over time hence the sell by date.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All products used in full sized aviation must have a shelf life or expiration date on them. There is no "best before". This date, is the amount of time after manufacture or packaging, that the OEM guaranties that their product will still meet the required specification. I.e, if the shelf life of a paint is 4 years, then 4 years after the date of manufacture, if you were to apply that paint product, it would have the correct viscosity, soild content, coverage, etc during application, and then it would take the same amount of time to flash off, cure, and finally if would have the same final finish qualities as per the minimum required by the specification that it was sold as meeting or exceeding.

In full sized RPT (regular public transport, millitary, etc ) we discard many products because they have reached their shelf life. (General aviation are a little less concerned at times) The product can be perfectly ok, but must be discarded. I discarded over $5000 worth of paint products after an audit 2 weeks ago for this very reason. would I use it for my models? Damn straight I would not hesitate (just mixed a batch of fuel last week with time ex oil) to use the oil in for my models as long as there is no signs of rust on the tin and there are no contaminates as you pour it out.

Thanks

dave
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Please send all of your expired turbine oil to me, and I will be pleased to dispose of it for you, saving you both time and the expense of legal disposal methods.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts

How many years was it in the ground?

Dw
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
jetmodeller

Hi i have been using turbine oil that was canned 20years ago for two years now no problems what so ever regards Keith
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you said that Keith, I've got a ton of 2010 vintage
Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: FlyinTiger

I'm curious to know (as a new RC turbine pilot) what experies in the turbine oil? Is there a ''best if sold by'' date on the side of the container you have?

Nothing other than the FAA.

For "real" or "Full Scale" aircraft... they set dates on the oil. But, in reality, the oil is fine, if the can was never opened. It's kind of like putting an expiration on a twinkie. It's just a precaution, and to put a limit on the manufactures liability.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM
josecilurzo

for me too!!!

Jose
Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 AM
ticketec

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Please send all of your expired turbine oil to me, and I will be pleased to dispose of it for you, saving you both time and the expense of legal disposal methods.
Love to mate, but all the local Jet boys have a standing offer to the same effect[:-] I hooked them up with just over a ton of Jet A1 last time. Maybe you'll have to move to sunny Queensland for some of the free stuff

Thanks

dave
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 AM
GrayUK

No problem, you can use it, been doing it for years.
Paul G
Old 10-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Wayne22

If you think about it, we only use the oil once. most of it goes through the combustion chamber and is burnt..the tiny remainder goes through the bearings once, and then is burnt in the exhaust..

Full scale, it is circulated, pumped, filtered, heated, cooled, piped over and over until the next oil change....
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM
cactusflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

If you think about it, we only use the oil once. most of it goes through the combustion chamber and is burnt..the tiny remainder goes through the bearings once, and then is burnt in the exhaust..

Full scale, it is circulated, pumped, filtered, heated, cooled, piped over and over until the next oil change....
Great point.....and in full scale the turbine oil is not changed! It is replaced at the overhaul after thousands of hours of use.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Great point.....and in full scale the turbine oil is not changed! It is replaced at the overhaul after thousands of hours of use.

Tailwinds,

John

Well, our 737-700`s with CFM`56`s use about 4 quarts every 48 hours , so it sort of replaces the oil regualry by itself