Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Axial EXO Terra Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial EXO Terra Buggy?

Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting a EXO Terra Buggy at some point since it looks like a real nice car to just bash around. I also like the way it looks, and it also comes in brushless RTR with 2.4ghz. Anyone have any comments on this car? Its durability? Capabilities? what you thought of it if you had one?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 AM
MTboy

Default RE: Axial EXO Terra Buggy?

I just got done with my build kit and have to say it was the funnest build I've done. So far it looks like a great rig and I think that it will put the SCT in there place..[>:] Only down side I see is the in and out of the battery, but hear it gets easier as you do it..
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Microz

Okay cool thanks! Yeah I'm a little concerned about getting the battery in, but I don't think it should be a big deal. Is there anyone else out there with this car?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy one... 'nuff said!

Truthfully, it's a nice vehicle. The integral cage is a bit cumbersome but, you get used to it. Since the price has come down they are worth the investment. The original $349 for the kit was too steep. I'm not sure if the RTRprice has changed recently but, even then it's not a terrible deal.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Microz

Cool thanks! Yeah i probably will get one. Question here: is this car plenty on a 2s lipo, or should i get a 3s for it?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Microz

Cool thanks! Yeah i probably will get one. Question here: is this car plenty on a 2s lipo, or should i get a 3s for it?
That depends on the motor you choose and where / how you drive your RCs. Most of the time 2S is just the right blend of speed, performance and driveability. 3S is always fun but can make the car more difficult to drive also. Plus the increased power will put more strain on the vehicle which menas you are much more likely to break something sooner.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great buggy no need to run it on 3s.....
Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Can you get a 3s in there?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Microz

Thanks guys. I'll just run a 2s then.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 AM
CarGuy7a

Check this link out. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0872p?&L=OS Tower hobbies has the kit on sale for $199. If you want all the fancy stuff (light bars and detailed goodies) get the kit version. The kit version also has adjustable camber links where the RTR has fixed.

They are a blast to run. I have the Mamba Max SCT Race Pro system in mine and it rips on 2s with stock gearing. The motor never gets over 130°F. If you go with that setup like I did, you will need to buy 5mm bore 32p pinions FYI.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 AM
thehuntingterminator

I just built the kit and it was a fun build and it handles great. I would highly recommend the kit version, but I'm sure that the RTR is good too.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I was considering the kit, with tower hobbies payment plan.
I have a vxl system I could drop in it.
It looks cool, and probly handles decent.

Then I watched jang's review of it.

I saw how you had to remove many screw to get the top off to make any changes. And installing a 2s lipo pack looked like a pain.

It reminded me of the HPI mini trophy truck. Which I got rid of, cause changing the battery was madning. Seriously, you needed to have hands the size of a 2 year old to do it.

No thank you. No matter how great it looks and performs, if working on it or jsut changing the battery is a huge pain then I dont want it.

Its like they thought about battery placement last minute.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I was considering the kit, with tower hobbies payment plan.
I have a vxl system I could drop in it.
It looks cool, and probly handles decent.

Then I watched jang's review of it.

I saw how you had to remove many screw to get the top off to make any changes. And installing a 2s lipo pack looked like a pain.

It reminded me of the HPI mini trophy truck. Which I got rid of, cause changing the battery was madning. Seriously, you needed to have hands the size of a 2 year old to do it.

No thank you. No matter how great it looks and performs, if working on it or jsut changing the battery is a huge pain then I dont want it.

Its like they thought about battery placement last minute.
pretty much exactly what kept me away from it. I'm not a fan of havin to take 2-3 body clips off to change batteries with an easy access tray let alone one that looks like you have to fight with it to get the battery in.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:51 PM
thehuntingterminator

Then do what I did: don't install any of the body panels or the interior piece they give with the kit. The battery is still not the most convenient, but it's not bad at all. Plus, it will give your electronics more air flow this way and still looks pretty sweet.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Then do what I did: don't install any of the body panels or the interior piece they give with the kit. The battery is still not the most convenient, but it's not bad at all. Plus, it will give your electronics more air flow this way and still looks pretty sweet.
no offence hunter, but the body is a large reason why I WOULD want it.

If I wanted to drive a 4wd 1/8, I stick with a cheap redcat.

I would the exo for its looks as well as performance. It looks like a 1:1 buggy.

Both axial and HPI (MTT) should have been able to give us looks without making it so complicated. Why does the body have to be part of the chassis? why not make the body/roll cage held on with body clips?

And yes, they did make a battery "door" but its frickin tiny. Hardly big enough for a standard 2s lipo. So what if I want to run a 3s....gotta pull the hole cage off for that.

I dont meant to put down your model hunter. I have know doubt that its a great truck to drive. But I dont get why the designers dont think of simple things like "how do we get the battery in"? Its really like it was the last thing on their list....but its the 1st thing we have to do to run the model!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

I would the exo for its looks as well as performance. It looks like a 1:1 buggy.

Both axial and HPI (MTT) should have been able to give us looks without making it so complicated. Why does the body have to be part of the chassis? why not make the body/roll cage held on with body clips?

And yes, they did make a battery ''door'' but its frickin tiny. Hardly big enough for a standard 2s lipo. So what if I want to run a 3s....gotta pull the hole cage off for that.

I dont meant to put down your model hunter. I have know doubt that its a great truck to drive. But I dont get why the designers dont think of simple things like ''how do we get the battery in''? Its really like it was the last thing on their list....but its the 1st thing we have to do to run the model!
Hey I understand. And I agree that the thing sucks to work on. Trust me. It took me 1.5 hours just to change the spur gear that my brother stripped because I had to completely unbolt the motor, center diff, take apart the center diff, rebuild it with a new spur, refill the diff with clean fluid, and do it all again to put it back together. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 AM
bronco25ton
My Feedback: (-2)

A friend of mine has one of these, he bought the kit version. The buggy is fast as heck and it has proven to be very durable, he bashes the snot out of it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

And yes, they did make a battery ''door'' but its frickin tiny. Hardly big enough for a standard 2s lipo. So what if I want to run a 3s....gotta pull the hole cage off for that.

I dont meant to put down your model hunter. I have know doubt that its a great truck to drive. But I dont get why the designers dont think of simple things like ''how do we get the battery in''? Its really like it was the last thing on their list....but its the 1st thing we have to do to run the model!
ditto on that

as for making the cage part of the body I can see why they didn't make it hold on with body clips in a way, but they could have made it a lot easier to release than it is like make it 4-6 screws over what it is
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

we have to face the fact, no model is perfect

I could deal with the body having to come of to make adjustments or repairs....but making the battery a pain to put in is something I dont wanna deal with. The HPI mini trophy truck was like that and its the main reason I sold it. Its a cool looking, very tough model. A bit overweight, and nose heavy, but those things I could deal with . You needed the hands of a 2 year old to get the battery in/out tho. Ive got huge frickin hands. It usually took me 3-4 minutes to do a simply battery change.

Ill wait for the redcat model that looks like the exo to come out. I think it will be based of the current 8e line, tho im not sure. That does means some diff woes, but I can live with that if it means a nice simple battery change.

But I could be wrong. Redcat may have also decided to mount the body directly. I cannot tell from the current pics availible.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

we have to face the fact, no model is perfect

I could deal with the body having to come of to make adjustments or repairs....but making the battery a pain to put in is something I dont wanna deal with. The HPI mini trophy truck was like that and its the main reason I sold it. Its a cool looking, very tough model. A bit overweight, and nose heavy, but those things I could deal with . You needed the hands of a 2 year old to get the battery in/out tho. Ive got huge frickin hands. It usually took me 3-4 minutes to do a simply battery change.

Ill wait for the redcat model that looks like the exo to come out. I think it will be based of the current 8e line, tho im not sure. That does means some diff woes, but I can live with that if it means a nice simple battery change.

But I could be wrong. Redcat may have also decided to mount the body directly. I cannot tell from the current pics availible.
looks directly mounted from the pics you put in the other thread I see 2 screws holding the front of the body on going into the front skid plate, and 2 more going into some mount that looks like hooked to the front shock tower. But that just means the front is if its a few different pieces then the rear might attach differently as I don't see how a battery would even mount.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, its hard to tell.

Im assuming its based off the 8e, which is layedout as shown in pic.

But I could be wrong and it could be a totally new chassis.

I should email redcat and ask.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26467.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1811879  
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

just got an email from redcat.

The new buggy has a bottom loading battery door...like the twister models.

The body does still hard-mount to the chassis.

The doors on the twister models work OK. Adding a spring to the top of the tray makes them much better.

Only time will tell how good the new model is, but at least putting in a battery wont be a huge pain.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:11 PM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

It looks like a Exo with some differences to it, I ended up getting an Exo today even with all of the problems it has I will just work them out.

Besides I like wrenching anyway
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting.  So the battery door on the bottom of the car is a pain to get a battery in or out?  Is it different on the Terra than any of the other Axials?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Interesting. So the battery door on the bottom of the car is a pain to get a battery in or out? Is it different on the Terra than any of the other Axials?
bottom loading battery door is on the new redcat.

The exo has one body panel that clips on. You remove it to put in the battery, but its a pretty tight space.

The new redcat will have a battery door similar to the twister model, shown below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68385.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1812132  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.