Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 AM
bigpapa1272

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK-450GT CCPM Alloy T-Rex compatible - Part III

The nano is a top bird for sure.....she is very responsive and no tail blowout issues that i noticed during my flips......but thats all i know how to do as of right now......about thirty crashes in and only broke skid and canopy.....to be expected i guess cause both are flimsy anyway.....but is a rock solid bird on dx6i
Old 10-05-2012, 11:42 AM
rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

Had a really nice day today!

Looks like preliminarily my new reflux meds are working!

After my dentists appointment I met with "Cort" at the flying field and delivered my HK450GT T/T and ALL the sundry parts to include batteries to him!

It felt wonderful! I think my love for the "random act of kindness" is only equaled by my need to NOT have things laying around that I'm NOT using (or the anti Simon/Rob behavior) and that someone can make perfectly good use of!

For now I will support the 500 platform only in money and time!

One of two things will happen. I will just stay with the 500 class and move up to the 550 or get out of heli's all together!

I visited with all the boys out at the club and got footage of "Patrick" flying but the video somehow became "corrupt" Grrrrr!

I explained my plight to one of the guys who is very accomplished and his take was that it really wasn't a bad idea that if I stay in the hobby to explore the HK550. He suggests that folks are snobbish about it and that an HK550 is NOT a bad route to go! This will yet to be seen as I haven't made a decision. To "sweeten" the pot further he indicated quite clearly that if I were to crash a 500 vs. a 550 that the 550 would cost less to repair in that full size servos seldom "strip" their gears! Hmmmmm more food for thought!

Bryan noted on my YT page that it costs a lot more to repair a 500 than a 450 but I submit two things. I have never (with the exception of set up error and recall that I didn't "crash, but auto'd in) crashed my 500's (yet)! The 450's on the other hand....

Further, trying to keep up a seldom flown platform (the 450) takes money/time away from the large class heli's!

(Damn, I'd make a good attorney)

Anyhooooooo I'm 450less as of today and it secretly feels GREAT!

All the best!

b

PS Which one of you bizzzizzzzzaches broke the HobbyKing website??[:@]

Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Ddaddy

rb, don't know wether to chasitise or congratulate you! Would like to hear more about cost of 500 vs 550...one reason I choose the 500. But common knowledge and info on the web co0uld be wrong. And in my mind the 500 is really just a 450 (425 mm blades urrumm).

Know how you feel about change, I seem to need change often when it comes to hobbies. Presently waiting on getting my health back and guess I'll get a job next year, really enjoy not working making someone else money though...we'll see.

Although I still haven't officially flown my fpv, I am very intersted in fpv atm. More specificlly, planes with fpv that can have 30+ minutes of flight time with miles of sightseeeing (current record round trip over 120 miles). If you see any paint ball bombs dropped on your house....it wasn't me!

Anyway, best wishing and I'm glad I came back to talk with the gang a few months back and thanks to Simon for pointing me here, make sure you keep us posted and not be like a git (I think I resemble that remark).

Best,
Ken

P.S. Got any pics of the Male Lady?
P.S.S Ya'll are all Phoenix git wannabes!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 PM
mnemennth

ORIGINAL: ahamay

ORIGINAL: mnemennth

I'll echo Jonesy's suggestion on the 2218; I have it in both 3200KV and 3550KV variants. A FINEmotor, and at $12 a bargain. I'll recommend the 3200KV for you as a beginner; no need to be torturing your batteries with the 3550 while you're still getting the hang of throttle/pitch curves. I dunno... maybe even the 2500KV. What's your opinion Jonesy?

mnem

I'd say go straight for the 3550 and run an 11t pinion and you could even run something like a 90,85,80,85,90 throttle curve to take a bit of the sting out if your worried about headspeed. But keep in mind headspeed is your friend. I ran a higher headspeed when Iwas learning for the extra stability and Ithink Ibenefited from it. For $12 bucks they are a great motor and you can put a 12t on it later on. I would not run anything more than a 12t at flat 100% throttle curve on the hk450gt as I don't think it's upto running anything higher. I tried a 13t at one point on my 450GT and it felt and sounded like it was about to self distruct at any moment.

See? Just goes to show ya... there's more than one opinion on how to set it up. I started out with the 3550, it was just too much torque; beating up my belt & getting hot because I had my pitch curves out to lunch cuz I didn't know any better. (Can't say I do yet...but...) Went with the 3200 and the 12t and it turned my howling beast into a purring little puddytat.

What I want to try next (maybe on the Pro or the HDX) is a 1700 and bump up to a 4-5Spack; try and swap a little amperage for more voltage.

mnem
*450-Rich*
Old 10-06-2012, 02:42 AM
ingleburn

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

Hope that it all goes well for you.

After my dentists appointment I met with "Cort" at the flying field and delivered my HK450GT T/T and ALL the sundry parts to include batteries to him!

It felt wonderful! I think my love for the "random act of kindness" is only equaled by my need to NOT have things laying around that I'm NOT using (or the anti Simon/Rob behavior) and that someone can make perfectly good use of!
What a great gesture. Got me to thinking that maybe Ill keep the GT and wait for someone who could use a start in this hobby. Otherwise I would prob just strip it down and end up throwing it in the bin

One of two things will happen. I will just stay with the 500 class and move up to the 550 or get out of heli's all together!
No matter how much we would love you to stick around its your decision to make. Guess it all depends on whether the club draws you in or not.

I visited with all the boys out at the club and got footage of "Patrick" flying but the video somehow became "corrupt" Grrrrr!

I explained my plight to one of the guys who is very accomplished and his take was that it really wasn't a bad idea that if I stay in the hobby to explore the HK550. He suggests that folks are snobbish about it and that an HK550 is NOT a bad route to go! This will yet to be seen as I haven't made a decision. To "sweeten" the pot further he indicated quite clearly that if I were to crash a 500 vs. a 550 that the 550 would cost less to repair in that full size servos seldom "strip" their gears! Hmmmmm more food for thought!

Bryan noted on my YT page that it costs a lot more to repair a 500 than a 450 but I submit two things. I have never (with the exception of set up error and recall that I didn't "crash, but auto'd in) crashed my 500's (yet)! The 450's on the other hand....

Further, trying to keep up a seldom flown platform (the 450) takes money/time away from the large class heli's!

All the best!

b

Not me I havent touched it in ages.
Ive got a similar problem in that both GT's are giving me grief. The thought of pulling them both down to make 1 that may or may not work is something that I dont want to think about at the moment.
Maybe Ill just go down Jonesy,s path and pull the trigger on a Tarot Pro and forget about the GT's altogether. Decisions, decisions.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:03 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

rb, don't know wether to chasitise or congratulate you! Would like to hear more about cost of 500 vs 550...one reason I choose the 500. But common knowledge and info on the web co0uld be wrong. And in my mind the 500 is really just a 450 (425 mm blades urrumm).

Yah, the only thing consistent in this life is change! Contrary to what my brother Simon says, bigger IS better in the form of heli's. So it's moreover for me how to get a big un that I can afford! If you can get near a 550 have a look at it! It uses actual "full size" servo's and all the parts and pieces are more beefy. Kinda hoping a stumble across one at the "club" for a good price!!

Know how you feel about change, I seem to need change often when it comes to hobbies. Presently waiting on getting my health back and guess I'll get a job next year, really enjoy not working making someone else money though...we'll see.

Hope you get back on track with your health!

Although I still haven't officially flown my fpv, I am very intersted in fpv atm. More specificlly, planes with fpv that can have 30+ minutes of flight time with miles of sightseeeing (current record round trip over 120 miles). If you see any paint ball bombs dropped on your house....it wasn't me!

Yah, I noticed [link=http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/]this one[/link] some time back and thought it was a cool idea!

Anyway, best wishing and I'm glad I came back to talk with the gang a few months back and thanks to Simon for pointing me here, make sure you keep us posted and not be like a git (I think I resemble that remark).

Yah, I'm going to stay here with you folks I'm sure and glad Simon got ya back as well!

Best,
Ken

P.S. Got any pics of the Male Lady?

In one of my viddys she is in it from sometime back!

P.S.S Ya'll are all Phoenix git wannabes!

Yah, I REALLY need to get Phoenix up and give it a whirl!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: ingleburn

ORIGINAL: rikybob

Hiya Kidz!

Hope that it all goes well for you.

After my dentists appointment I met with ''Cort'' at the flying field and delivered my HK450GT T/T and ALL the sundry parts to include batteries to him!

It felt wonderful! I think my love for the ''random act of kindness'' is only equaled by my need to NOT have things laying around that I'm NOT using (or the anti Simon/Rob behavior) and that someone can make perfectly good use of!
What a great gesture. Got me to thinking that maybe Ill keep the GT and wait for someone who could use a start in this hobby. Otherwise I would prob just strip it down and end up throwing it in the bin

No matter how much we would love you to stick around its your decision to make. Guess it all depends on whether the club draws you in or not.

I visited with all the boys out at the club and got footage of ''Patrick'' flying but the video somehow became ''corrupt'' Grrrrr!

I explained my plight to one of the guys who is very accomplished and his take was that it really wasn't a bad idea that if I stay in the hobby to explore the HK550. He suggests that folks are snobbish about it and that an HK550 is NOT a bad route to go! This will yet to be seen as I haven't made a decision. To ''sweeten'' the pot further he indicated quite clearly that if I were to crash a 500 vs. a 550 that the 550 would cost less to repair in that full size servos seldom ''strip'' their gears! Hmmmmm more food for thought!

Bryan noted on my YT page that it costs a lot more to repair a 500 than a 450 but I submit two things. I have never (with the exception of set up error and recall that I didn't ''crash, but auto'd in) crashed my 500's (yet)! The 450's on the other hand....

All the best!

b

Not me I havent touched it in ages.
Ive got a similar problem in that both GT's are giving me grief. The thought of pulling them both down to make 1 that may or may not work is something that I dont want to think about at the moment.
Maybe Ill just go down Jonesy,s path and pull the trigger on a Tarot Pro and forget about the GT's altogether. Decisions, decisions.

Yah, we'll see. Down to the 500 and the MCP X and Quad!

I was getting to where I was dreading the thought of pulling that GT down again too. One of the things that makes it so miserable is the size. ALL those SMALL hex bolts that were (I'm NOT make this up) 4 different sizes!

The bolts were getting wallered more and more!

I highly recommend the 500 class if just not for it's GREAT EASE to work on let alone its ease to fly!

I built and flew the HK500GT for around 250USD a year or so ago so they ARE economical!

(Devil getting behind and pushing a bit!)

All the best!

b
Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM
hugj
My Feedback: (7)

Well gent's today was the maden on a field of the hk aka align 550 e.
 I did a few quick circiuts just to get the feel for her ablut a 4 min flight my nerves were flowing.
the flight went great! No oroblems except the wind but she handeled it well, the piolt on the other hand, well
The nerves!!!
After all the headaces it was well worth it, very stable quick and forgiving. now a post flight check out to make sure every thing is
where it is soposeto be.
Brian I have to agree 500 and 550 are much easer to work on I have one 450 left, my first and you know what she will become!
 I now have the hk 500 aka trex, gaui425 fbl and the budget build gaui is going to a new home, and the hk trex 550
Great fleet and the size is what I want.
I think I will keep these and do a few upgrades and keep the mntc. up to date.
  Take care I'll try to get a video or two for you all.
  Hugh
Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: hugj

Well gent's today was the maden on a field of the hk aka align 550 e.
I did a few quick circiuts just to get the feel for her ablut a 4 min flight my nerves were flowing.
the flight went great! No oroblems except the wind but she handeled it well, the piolt on the other hand, well
The nerves!!!
After all the headaces it was well worth it, very stable quick and forgiving. now a post flight check out to make sure every thing is
where it is soposeto be.
Brian I have to agree 500 and 550 are much easer to work on I have one 450 left, my first and you know what she will become!
I now have the hk 500 aka trex, gaui425 fbl and the budget build gaui is going to a new home, and the hk trex 550
Great fleet and the size is what I want.
I think I will keep these and do a few upgrades and keep the mntc. up to date.
Take care I'll try to get a video or two for you all.
Hugh

Hiya Hugh!

Glad you are enjoying 550 and glad you got it sorted!

Yah, I think my discipline re: flight checks is significantly more frequent with my bigger heli. I really don't know why as I should have done that with the smaller too!

The bigger ones just feel more "real" to me!

Re: the bigger fleet. I recall the day I was standing down at my LHS buying this [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/blade-sr-rtf-electric-micro-heli-EFLH1500]POS[/link]! The guy was trying to explain to me that BIGGER is better, way more stable in flight due to sheer mass and in the long run I would spend less money because bigger is where you will naturally be as you progress with the hobby, so why not START there?? My retort was, "Because I don't have Simon money, I have a wifely I have to get all this by"!

In retrospect, with all things being equal and I had the money and knew that I would stick with the hobby, I'd would have done just that. Over half of the people at the flying club have never flown a 450!

They all started with the 600 class!

As for me, as I have lamented in prior posts and blathering, will evaluate my behavior see if I am still interested before I commit to the 550. I have basically decided that if I spring for one it will be a genuine Align. Not that I'm a snob but calculated the difference between the HK and the Align (keeping in mind I don't have ANY parts in the bin for the HK) is a bout 250 bux or about the price of equipping myself with batteries.

I think I will take the "hit" and buy the genuine Align!

But I will see.

I wonder if any of these hobby places have sales as we enter the holiday???

All the best!

b

Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Ddaddy

Grats on the maiden Hugh!

rb, I can't believe that they still sell that POS! It is by far the most expesive heli I have!

I too got an Align 500 but Align has quality issues too. After 2 bad swashes I got a IIRC which solved my low gain/wobbles. Also have a real futaba tail servo. Also the ds 510s don't meet speed specs as advertised. I think it's mostly luck with all the companies and think you'd be better served picking parts.

Now I do like the looks of the Goblins, nice head geometry and good looking machining. A lot of smack though.

Phoenix blathering server is up for the day. Password is our friendly english git.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Ddaddy

Grats on the maiden Hugh!

rb, I can't believe that they still sell that POS! It is by far the most expesive heli I have!

I too got an Align 500 but Align has quality issues too. After 2 bad swashes I got a IIRC which solved my low gain/wobbles. Also have a real futaba tail servo. Also the ds 510s don't meet speed specs as advertised. I think it's mostly luck with all the companies and think you'd be better served picking parts.

Now I do like the looks of the Goblins, nice head geometry and good looking machining. A lot of smack though.

Phoenix blathering server is up for the day. Password is our friendly english git.

Cheers,
Ken

Yah, the LHS keeps one, in the box as an example of why you SHOULDN'T buy one.

Yah, re: Align. It's kind of funny b/c there are many, many companies out there that make better stuff! I found, however that I consistently get an adequate product for my money and having the 4 LHS's stock parts it a no brainer but you point is well made. Even further, I hear from the people who have been using Align for decades that Aligns q/c is dropping. Basically one has to do a cost benefit analysis. I owned the HK500 and I own the Align 500 and they were VERY near in quality. I just don't have the stomach to cobble together a 750 USD HK550 when for a few hundred more, I can get a "system matched" machine that most likely won't devil me. My 500 has been flawless!

As for Goblins, I can't even LOOK at them lustfully. Really neat aircraft!

Re: Phoenix, that's a great idea, just announce and leave it running! Sadly work calls (PM shift) but I will be off Mon/Tue and perhaps you and I can work out a connection as it has been years! I'll keep up with you!

All the best!

b
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Edmund2

Brain, just read this off topic item on our electronic news.

Sydney - Australian police with beards and ponytails began a legal fight on Monday to keep them.

Nine Victoria Police officers appeared before a Melbourne anti-discrimination tribunal to try to overturn a January ruling that restricts men among the 14 000-member force to neatly trimmed moustaches.

Beards are permissible only for those like Sikhs who have cultural or religious reasons to wear them.

The Police Association, a labour union, said the nine were on their own in their case before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

"We're not providing any representation or support in their quest for a change," Police Association spokesperson Sandro Lofaro said.

Edmund

Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Brian, just read this off topic item on our electronic news.

Sydney - Australian police with beards and ponytails began a legal fight on Monday to keep them.

Nine Victoria Police officers appeared before a Melbourne anti-discrimination tribunal to try to overturn a January ruling that restricts men among the 14 000-member force to neatly trimmed moustaches.

Beards are permissible only for those like Sikhs who have cultural or religious reasons to wear them.

The Police Association, a labour union, said the nine were on their own in their case before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

''We're not providing any representation or support in their quest for a change,'' Police Association spokesperson Sandro Lofaro said.

Edmund

Kind of funny. Seems like they just need something to gripe about??

Although I will say this.

I wish they'd let me grow a full beard. It hides the "ugly"!

b
Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 AM
rikybob

Our Intrepid Hero looked forward to his two days off.

He started with trimming out his elevator servo with the Copter X software.

A fresh battery was inserted into the try and as always I/H would remove the blade holder with great speed and agility after the battery was connected so as not to inadvertently strip a servo gear.

Not this time "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzshisssssszzzz" went the left aileron!

Down trodden and dejected our Intrepid Hero "smaggeied his way down to the LHS"

Turns out he needed to stop by Home Depot anyway as the flapper valve in the main bathroom was dripping. I/H would hate to come home from vacation in a few weeks and find a flooded house!!

It' was fortunate that he visited the LHS as in addition to picking up a servo repair kit for the DS510's he lamented his lack of desire for.......(shock) HELI'S to the heli staff.

The staff counseled him and told him that it's perfectly natural for a man his age to have it happen and to not be embarrassed or worry and that the "horniness" for helis comes back on it's own!

In the meantime we discussed [link=http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4900.html]THIS[/link] as perfect trainer that was recommended by one of the locals at the field.

Rather than putting a grand into a new heli that I/H might not fly he thinks he may explore, much like Phil, other avenues of flying Phun!

Back to the house I/H slid the new gears back into place, trimmed out the offending servos (by eye as usual) and took the big ole bird for a fly!

What a lovely, powerful machine!

Our Intrepid Hero felt a stirring in his loins and knew that helis would always be a part of his life!

Regards!

b

PS Enjoy this little OT ditty!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKcChGsDqnU&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM
sgbfly

Hi Guy's,

I enjoyed the I/H story! It reminds me of our BOL adventures!

Skipping back to the present...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbsLoBFjoY0[/youtube]

Best to all!

Simon
Old 10-08-2012, 05:13 PM
mmurray70

Hey guys, I havent been on here much in the past year. been really busy with work lately and havent had as much time for helis. Plus ive been spending more time practicing on my mcpx since its so much more crash forgiving.

Anyway Ive been having some issues with my 450. I crashed it for the first time last year and rebuilt it with a whole new head from HK and some blades from e-bay. E-bay seller ripped me off and sent wood blades instead of glass. But I tried them anyway and it seemed to fly fairly well actually. This year the first time I took it out I had major issues with the tail drifting. Im running a HK-401 and HK 9257 servo. After my first run this year I came back home and did some research online only to realize I had it in rate mode and didnt realize. Assumed that was the problem but a few weeks later I tried again and still had some major tail drift. Im after doing more research and found that some people have had issues with vibration throwing it off. My wooden blades were a little off balance so i put a nice new balanced set of fiberglass blades and now it runs much smoother but still drifts. I found a video on youtube about setting up linkages and the gyro. Tried that and ended up with a huge tail wag and still some drift. Starting to get frustrated with it. Especially since it flew fine last year. Have a few questions.

Should I set my linkages so that I have zero pitch on the tail blades with the servo centered? Or should I set it with some pitch so that the servo is close to center while hovering? Video suggested no pitch with servo cenered but sort of makes sense to be closer to center while hovering.

Should headspeed affect tail drift? I get a slight drift one way in idle up 1 and it actually drifts the other way when in idle up 2 which is set at a slightly higher headspeed. Also tends to change as the battery drops a little. Does this make any sense?

Can anybody give me some pointers to get this thing flying straight again?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
ahamay

ORIGINAL: mmurray70
Hey guys, I havent been on here much in the past year. been really busy with work lately and havent had as much time for helis. Plus ive been spending more time practicing on my mcpx since its so much more crash forgiving.
Anyway Ive been having some issues with my 450. I crashed it for the first time last year and rebuilt it with a whole new head from HK and some blades from e-bay. E-bay seller ripped me off and sent wood blades instead of glass. But I tried them anyway and it seemed to fly fairly well actually. This year the first time I took it out I had major issues with the tail drifting. Im running a HK-401 and HK 9257 servo. After my first run this year I came back home and did some research online only to realize I had it in rate mode and didnt realize. Assumed that was the problem but a few weeks later I tried again and still had some major tail drift. Im after doing more research and found that some people have had issues with vibration throwing it off. My wooden blades were a little off balance so i put a nice new balanced set of fiberglass blades and now it runs much smoother but still drifts. I found a video on youtube about setting up linkages and the gyro. Tried that and ended up with a huge tail wag and still some drift. Starting to get frustrated with it. Especially since it flew fine last year. Have a few questions.
Should I set my linkages so that I have zero pitch on the tail blades with the servo centered? Or should I set it with some pitch so that the servo is close to center while hovering? Video suggested no pitch with servo cenered but sort of makes sense to be closer to center while hovering.
Should headspeed affect tail drift? I get a slight drift one way in idle up 1 and it actually drifts the other way when in idle up 2 which is set at a slightly higher headspeed. Also tends to change as the battery drops a little. Does this make any sense?
Welcome to the wonderfull world of tinkering....

Imay be able to give you a few things to try as I've been down this road before... so to speak.

First thing would be to take the 4 screws out of your gyro and crack it open and make sure the board is secure. This was an issue with these gyros moving around inside the case. This may have been dislodged when you crashed and may cause a drift.

You'll want to fine tune the drift in rate mode but I would highly recommend flying in heading hold mode.

With regards to the tail. You should be able to set your servo horn at 90 and set your tail blades at 0 pitch in rate mode. Put it into a hover... if the tail drifts on it's own adjust the linkage (or slide the servo on the boom) to put some pitch to counter the drift. You may need to do this a few times. Once you have no drift, then switch back to heading hold mode and fly. Also adjust your servo travel limits in rate mode to get as much travel on the tail slider before it binds.

Make sure you have no sub trim on the rudder via your radio, and make sure you have not accidently added trim via your radio buttons...this will bugger up your gyro and may cause drifting.

With regards to headspeed... you'll want to set less % gain in idle up than in normal as you have higher headspeed and more tail authority. Even less gain will be required if your headspeed is faster again in idle up 2.

We all had mixed results with the hk401's as the early ones were ok but the later ones were rubbish. Investing in a better gyro would be a recommendation. With all the FBL stuff around now you could pick up a decend gyro for flybar very cheap.

Hope that helps. Plenty of people here to help you get it sorted so just post up.

Jonesy

Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 PM
ingleburn

Imay be able to give you a few things to try as I've been down this road before... so to speak.

First thing would be to take the 4 screws out of your gyro and crack it open and make sure the board is secure. This was an issue with these gyros moving around inside the case. This may have been dislodged when you crashed and may cause a drift.

You'll want to fine tune the drift in rate mode but I would highly recommend flying in heading hold mode.

With regards to the tail. You should be able to set your servo horn at 90 and set your tail blades at 0 pitch in rate mode. Put it into a hover... if the tail drifts on it's own adjust the linkage (or slide the servo on the boom) to put some pitch to counter the drift. You may need to do this a few times. Once you have no drift, then switch back to heading hold mode and fly. Also adjust your servo travel limits in rate mode to get as much travel on the tail slider before it binds.

Make sure you have no sub trim on the rudder via your radio, and make sure you have not accidently added trim via your radio buttons...this will bugger up your gyro and may cause drifting.

With regards to headspeed... you'll want to set less % gain in idle up than in normal as you have higher headspeed and more tail authority. Even less gain will be required if your headspeed is faster again in idle up 2.

We all had mixed results with the hk401's as the early ones were ok but the later ones were rubbish. Investing in a better gyro would be a recommendation. With all the FBL stuff around now you could pick up a decend gyro for flybar very cheap.

Hope that helps. Plenty of people here to help you get it sorted so just post up.

Jonesy

Theres also a great vid by our good friend Rob that will show you a few tips. I never had luck with my 401's so switched to a LH GY520 which I found was much better.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWSmlUl812Y&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Old 10-09-2012, 03:39 AM
rikybob

WB Mmurry!

+1!

Jonesy and Ingleburn!

It literally seems like ages since I've used an HK401b.

I highly recommend the virtues of going FBL too. This can be achieved for about 60 bux and is far less frustrating in that when you do crash there is not a myriad of Bell Hiller things that get bent and cause bizarre harmonic vibrations!

I think I've been buying the Copter X 3X1000 for 30 plus bux and an HK FBL gead is 15is bux1

All the best!

b
Old 10-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Edmund2

Been stuck behind the PC screen since yesterday morning so though it is overcast and cool outside I collected the mcpx from my car and flew 5 lipos during lunch time on the roof of the buidling. I did have  number of spills but it was soooooo relaxing. Going to the farm on Friday for the weekend and will make some spcae for a heli or 2. Mrs E tired of being at home on her back most of the time after the operation so a change of scenery will be good. One can read or watch TV only so much. Very rusted thumbs observed, must find more time to fly.

Got a nice big bruse on my forehead from a scope obtained when paticipating in my other vice last weekend. Did not know a 425 grain bullet in the 50 cal pack such a punch on a full load of gunpowder.

Good flying guys.

Edmund
PS: Junior Masterchef Australia now on here and man  I wish I had some of those kids cooking for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: Edmund2

Been stuck behind the PC screen since yesterday morning so though it is overcast and cool outside I collected the mcpx from my car and flew 5 lipos during lunch time on the roof of the buidling. I did have number of spills but it was soooooo relaxing. Going to the farm on Friday for the weekend and will make some spcae for a heli or 2. Mrs E tired of being at home on her back most of the time after the operation so a change of scenery will be good. One can read or watch TV only so much. Very rusted thumbs observed, must find more time to fly.

Got a nice big bruse on my forehead from a scope obtained when paticipating in my other vice last weekend. Did not know a 425 grain bullet in the 50 cal pack such a punch on a full load of gunpowder.

Good flying guys.

Edmund
PS: Junior Masterchef Australia now on here and man I wish I had some of those kids cooking for me.

Great to hear you are enjoying the MCPX! I love mine and I'm thinking that I am going to "gift" myself the BL conversion for Christmas!

I hope Mrs. E is healing well and a change of venue will do her good!

I wonder if that bruise on your head is the diameter of a scope sight?? I've never done that but there is still time!

Thanx for checking in!

b
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 AM
mmurray70

I may be able to give you a few things to try as I've been down this road before... so to speak.

Jonesy

So with no trim or sub trim and servo at 90 degrees i have to adjust linkages until drift stops in rate mode? this makes much more sense. The video i was using said to use sub trim to get no drift in rate mode. By the time i got there i had alot of travel used up.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Ddaddy

Hi mmurray,

Nice to meet you.  Headspeed can cause drift problems but I don't think that's your case.  However, check belt tension.

I still fly a 401 on my B400 (FranKENblade 450 actually now) and it is very temperature sensitive. So depending on the season, the drift is different.  Try to let it set outside (out of the Sun) for a few minutes before you fly.  

I'm also a proponent of setting up in rate mode but don't expect to get it perfect (no drift in rate for 2 minutes+).

How bad is the drift anyway?

+1 on FBL

GL,
Ken
Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 AM
bigpapa1272

Hey guys......i was looking to move up to a larger class heli (500-600)....i noticed that hk sells these for a pretty good price and was wondering which one yall might recommend.....i would like to go with the 600 but doesnt seem to have a good rating like a couple of the 500s do.....anyway......500 would be good for keeping parts cost down and i dont know much about a 550 class (whats the difference?)......any input would be much appreciated......thanks guys.......bp
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM
rikybob

ORIGINAL: bigpapa1272

Hey guys......i was looking to move up to a larger class heli (500-600)....i noticed that hk sells these for a pretty good price and was wondering which one yall might recommend.....i would like to go with the 600 but doesnt seem to have a good rating like a couple of the 500s do.....anyway......500 would be good for keeping parts cost down and i dont know much about a 550 class (whats the difference?)......any input would be much appreciated......thanks guys.......bp

Morning BP!

A year or so ago I bought and built the HK500 for about 250USD all up (less batteries).

A FINE flying machine!

I think Bryan still has it.

Re: 500 vs 550, in a word BIGGER.

If you read my previous blathering I spoke of the virtues of the simplicity of size for orientation, mass (ease of flyi) and overall workability (no tiny parts), it's a no brainer if you wallet muscle is up to it!

Once again, where I'm at on the 550 is that if I buy an Align "super combo" vs. the HK550, the difference is 250ish USD! The HK is 750 using all their parts vs. 1K on the Align using system matched parts. The reason HUGH went with the HK, in essence is that he had a LOT of the parts laying around. Me, I have none.

So for my personal condition, if I were to spring for a 550, I'd do the Grand!

I'm at a stage to where I'm not certain that I am enjoying flying all that much!

However, holidays and "specials" are around the corner.

The LHS said that Align is selling the Align 550FBL super combo in the fall without that crappy 3G gyro! Hmmmm?

You ARE heading in the right direction!

b

EDIT: Additionally, as purported by my flying buddies out at the club, since the 550 uses "full size servo's" when a crash occurs, you don't strip them! So it is effectively cheaper to crash a 550 vs. a 500!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.