Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Nitro or Electric ! Frustrating or Comforting ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Nitro or Electric ! Frustrating or Comforting ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM
HarisKhoso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro or Electric ! Frustrating or Comforting ?

As the Title says. Nitro or Electric Which is Frustrating or Comforting.

I,ve only had Experience with Traxxas Engines & learnt over the Internet Forums that Nitro,s are real Pain in the Neck. Tuning the Vehicle all the Time with Nut & Checking again & again all the Time the Ideal Speed & Low & High Speed & Stalling & what not.
A Screw Driver in hand & The naked Car without Body, The Frustration of Tuning it & finding no Fun what so ever except liking the Noise & smell of it which again is irritating after U,ve Tasted the Thrill of Quality Electric, The Comfort & Ease of it. The Reason why U actually Love the Hobby is to enjoy Racing or Driving or Crawling NOT Frustrated or upsetting & embarrassing urself.

That is my Opinion, if U Differ there in, Plz feel free to inform, as I would want to know what people think & why.

Dont just Read but Do Write something.

Thanks All
Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 AM
porterdog

Default RE: Nitro or Electric ! Frustrating or Comforting ?

I live in the city; yards are small and parks have houses nearby always.

Electric is *quiet*.   Quiet means I can run whenever and whereever I want.  That's good.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...I got suckered in. ;-)

All I will say is that this whole mindset of "tuning is a PIA" is not accurate. I'll tune my engines once every 20+ runs. Even then it's a quick 1/8 turn of a screw-driver that takes all of five seconds. I don't see how taxing that is.

I mean this with all due respect....if you find tuning "Frustrated or upsetting & embarrassing urself" then all this means is you simply have not learned to tune.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NITRO!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:09 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Topic has been covered many many times on this forum. Search for "nitro vs electric" and you will find tons of posts.

With Lipos and brushless motors power isn't an issue with either one. Nitros do require break in and occasional tuning, but those tasks are simple and painless if you have even a semi functional brain. The real difference is that Electrics are quieter, cleaner and can run indoors but in order to have any kind of runtime you need to invest in a lot of batteries and a decent charger. Nitros are louder and dirtier but you can run all day long with just a bottle of fuel. Personally I find that break in and tuning are less hassle than worrying about batteries, plus I love the sound and smoke so I prefer nitro. You can never say that one is better than the other, it just comes down to personal preference and where/how you want to use the vehicle.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: dustin7837

Topic has been covered many many times on this forum. Search for "nitro vs electric" and you will find tons of posts.

With Lipos and brushless motors power isn't an issue with either one. Nitros do require break in and occasional tuning, but those tasks are simple and painless if you have even a semi functional brain. The real difference is that Electrics are quieter, cleaner and can run indoors but in order to have any kind of runtime you need to invest in a lot of batteries and a decent charger. Nitros are louder and dirtier but you can run all day long with just a bottle of fuel. Personally I find that break in and tuning are less hassle than worrying about batteries, plus I love the sound and smoke so I prefer nitro. You can never say that one is better than the other, it just comes down to personal preference and where/how you want to use the vehicle.
Well said, sir. I'm stillmystified how folks feel that "tuning" is this complex, enduring activity analogous to splitting the atom. I can certainly appreciate the "plug-n-go" existence that electric offers (assuming the battery is charged). To me, however,the heart of this hobbyisthe tenacity we take in driving what we want....not worrying about the action items required to run whatever type pf powertrain we prefer.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM
wilfredes

I never smile. You want a smile, go rent a smile.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 AM
sparky 25

I have run nitro trucks for years and thought I'd never give up on it,

But a couple years ago I went to 1/5 scale gas trucks,

After a while I went back to nitro, simply because the truck were smaller, quieter and easier to find space to run them,

That was until I recently converted my savage with the hpi flux conversion kit,

Since running my first brushless truck I sold all my nitro trucks and engines,

I now have all brushless trucks,
Savage flux Hp,
Savage flux xs ss, castle 3800kv,
Losi lst 2364kv,
1/5 scale fg 4x4 clone with 5592 730kv,

For me nitro and gas cars are not as much enjoyment as brushless,

the instant punch from brushless cannot be produced by any nitro,

jumping a brushless truck just doesn't take as much run up to the ramp,
that along with the ability to instant backflip and the ability to lift the front wheels at any speed,

I'm not knocking nitro I used to enjoy running nitro also,
but I will say most people who knock brushless have never even ran brushless

I have 10 litres of 30% nitro sitting in a spare room that I think il sell as I will not run nitro again for a long while.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:11 AM
HarisKhoso

I,m sorry if i hurt anybodies feeling but that was not what i meant.
I,m finding that tuning is no Issue in here for the the Nitro guys as if U never tune them after one tuning.

Are Nitro Engines as easy as Electrics ? How long can the engine run at idle. As I had alot of problems with it even when following the Manual & all the Proper Procedures. IT,s not that I didn't enjoyed them at all I loved them Until I Touched a BRUSHLESS .

Now I,m Planning to COnvert all My Nitro's into ELectric,
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM
Zrock

Well after about 10 years of no toys i just got back into the sport. Im now running a nitro and love it. Once you get it set its good to go. Its a bit more expensive than electric. I ran electric when i go out of the sport. When battery tech probably wasn't the same as it was today. I always had to have about 6 batteries and 2 chargers running when i was playing and in order to change the bats i always had to pull the bodys off a pain in the butt.. If i see a good deal on electric i may get one but for now im loving the nitro
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM
sparky 25

Your wrong that brushless is cheaper,

Nitro is much cheaper initially, you just need the truck plus fuel,

Brushless is more expensive initially when you buy the truck, plus lipos, and then the charger,

You cannot even begin to compare the electric motors and batteries from 10 years ago,
with today's lipos and brushless motors,

Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM
ER-95

It all comes to personal preference. Tuning isn't required during each run, small tweaks with a flat head screwdriver to your high, low and idle needle is not that hard...

I personally love nitro! Hearing and smelling it is sweet! Sure, you have to clean the air filter, add after run, etc, it's part of the hobby. I find it fun to clean my rig after a good run.

Like I said, it comes down to what YOU want to do..

Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM
wilfredes

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM
ejc34710

I have 3 nitros and 1 electric, a Savage XS Flux. I hate the XS. Not just because it is a total POS and i haven't got a full battery out of it in over a month, but its just BORING. The first time i ever drove it i was all excited, after halfway through the pack, i realized electric is not for me, not for bashing anyway. Racing is a different story, although i haven't raced in quite a few years. Airplanes, i like nitro and electric, helis hafta hafta hafta be electric, and boats bring on the nitro. Like someone mentioned previously, it all boils down to personal preference.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These Nitro vs Electric threads never seem to end well, but seeing how it's still in the friendly mode, I'll add my 2 cents worth and hopefully not tick anyone off. Please remember, this is my opinion and is not meant to fit what everyone might seek from their RC vehicles.

As someone above said, it's a matter of personal preference. Now I like glow engines, and I find it fun to operate them, but I need something to run them in for more fun. After way too many airplane crashes, I switched to ground vehicles. But either way, it's the engines that I like. So electric isn't an option for me. To put it in a nutshell, I feel that electric has no soul.

I find that all that tuning stuff just makes it more rewarding. Getting an engine broken in and tuned well is part of the hobby, and provides me with some satisfaction. Driving is indeed another part, but less so. So I see "nitro" as a hobby and "electric" as a sport as the latter appears to be more driver oriented.

Just like fishing. Fishing is a sport, but you can make it a hobby if you build your own rods, machine your own reels, and tie your own flies.

Whatever your perference, I do feel it's nice to have a choice. I've obviously made mine without much trouble.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Ybenjulkay2x

I got both Nitro and lipos, Nitro for off/on and brushless for heli.
If you don't have the PATIENT, then nitros is not for you, it involve lots of patients if your on nitro like that fishing Argess mention, U not going to catch fish if you reel the fishing line more often just to see if there a catch. It realy involve patients, lots of it.
If you got the setting right you don't need to fool around on the setting lots of time, if you want your engine to stay longer, run it a little bit richer setting like what I do
I have the engine on my LST 1 and 2, MRX and MTX 3, Hyper 7 and Savage for more than 10 years now and still OK, just need to replace plug from time to time.
Engine on my LST 1 (7port blue heads mach 26) lst2 (7 port orange head I beleive that's the mach 427), CRC 5 port turbo for the MTX-3, 7port turbo RB concept for the MRX3 ( I used it on Mugen Sting long long time ago and it still keep on going) and .25 for the Savage S25, mach 26 on my hyper 7. I don't race but bash around. All are bump and roto start.
On lipo like on my heli, if i fly and use my battery more than 80%, I kill my battery as it happen before and have the danger of getting it on fire, it is true lipo's expensive than gas.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have six 8th scale nitros, and just bought my first brushless. I am obviously primarily into nitro, but brushless is more fun than I expected. Mostly just because I can run it in places I never could nitro - like right outside the front door, and in the public park full of people out for their Sunday walk. And that's really the main reason. The extra power is nice, but nitro is more exhilerating mph to mph.. A lot of bratty electric fans run their mouths about nitro, obviously having zero clue about it, and having given up because they were too clueless and impatient to figure out nitro. Which is hardly rocket science btw.

Both have their place. I guess I'm to the point now where I can say I like both. As far as the debate between the two goes, by far the most obnoxious brats are on the electric side.. I really do think that's where the conflict comes from - electric Traxxas teenagers babbling nonsense about "nitro being too difficult and messy", about it being obsolete, or whatever. All of which is BS. If those people would continue to just play with (and mod, and repair) their E-revos, there wouldn't be that big a debate.. Apples and oranges, really..
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 PM
ejc34710

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I have six 8th scale nitros, and just bought my first brushless. I am obviously primarily into nitro, but brushless is more fun than I expected. Mostly just because I can run it in places I never could nitro - like right outside the front door, and in the public park full of people out for their Sunday walk. And that's really the main reason. The extra power is nice, but nitro is more exhilerating mph to mph.. A lot of bratty electric fans run their mouths about nitro, obviously having zero clue about it, and having given up because they were too clueless and impatient to figure out nitro. Which is hardly rocket science btw.

Both have their place. I guess I'm to the point now where I can say I like both. As far as the debate between the two goes, by far the most obnoxious brats are on the electric side.. I really do think that's where the conflict comes from - electric Traxxas teenagers babbling nonsense about ''nitro being too difficult and messy'', about it being obsolete, or whatever. All of which is BS. If those people would continue to just play with (and mod, and repair) their E-revos, there wouldn't be that big a debate.. Apples and oranges, really..

x2....
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Haddi Taha

I run brushless as the majority of my driving is in places where nitro is too noisy.

The main reason there is this idea that nitro is super hard to maintain is because some noob goes to his lhs, buys nitro cause it sounds cool, puts fuel in it then goes and runs it without any break in procedures or any tuning. The engine gets stuffed and the noob is left scratching his head trying to figure out why won't it run. I guy I knew bought a nitro and put normal petrol in it [:@] it didn't work so he threw it away. If you take the time to learn the proper procedures used when running a nitro I don't think it will be hard at all.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Zrock

While i do love my nitro trucks i ended up having to order myself a electric.. Just do to the fact that my savage is way to loud to run around the neighbourhood. I cant keep steeling the gf truck to run with so ordered up a electric to play around the neighborhood with and use the nitro rigs for out in the gravel pits
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

sigh* I don't get the whole, "electric has no soul" thing. If you want soul, go listen to James Brown.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Argess

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

sigh* I don't get the whole, ''electric has no soul'' thing. If you want soul, go listen to James Brown.

KennyKiller:

You could make a more valuable contribution to this thread if you voiced your opinion over the subject the OP asked for, NOT your opinion over my or anyone else's opinion. He wants to know what the members think about Nitro vs Electric and Why they think that way. He did not ask for your opnion on my opinion.

The only reason I bother to make this reply, is your post is the first post in this thread that smacked of the type of antagonism that typically leads to a negative and unpleasant discussion. It ought to stop, or the thread will undoubtedly go downhill.

Now, ...why not make a positive contribution? Tell us which you prefer, and why.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: Argess

sigh* I don't get the whole, ''electric has no soul'' thing. If you want soul, go listen to James Brown.

KennyKiller:

You could make a more valuable contribution to this thread if you voiced your opinion over the subject the OP asked for, NOT your opinion over my or anyone else's opinion. He wants to know what the members think about Nitro vs Electric and Why they think that way. He did not ask for your opnion on my opinion.

The only reason I bother to make this reply, is your post is the first post in this thread that smacked of the type of antagonism that typically leads to a negative and unpleasant discussion. It ought to stop, or the thread will undoubtedly go downhill.

Now, ...why not make a positive contribution? Tell us which you prefer, and why.
It was a bit of a joke and here you are telling me I am being antagonistic and trying to start an "unpleasant discussion". I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Anyway if you must know... I prefer electric, why? I feel that nitro just doesn't give you that same feeling of fervor that you get from electric, running a nitro just feels boring to me, I get about the same level of enjoyment from trimming the edges of my lawn.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
blvdbuzzard

I have been in RC for a long long time. Why when I was a kid we had to walk two miles up hill to the hobby shop knee deep in snow.

Well, there was no electric back then. All we had was glow, gas or diesel. So I learned way back when how to tune and care for glow engines. So I find it hard to see tuning as an issue. It really is not that hard. I am down to just 1 glow truck now. I enjoy my Revo. I am no racer Rick or anything. I have my own track, I live on 6 acres. So I have a track and runway. Noise is not an issue, yet the smell of glow fuel in the morning YEAH BABY!!!

Each has it owns positives and negatives. Why limit your self, run both! I have 1/2 of a garage full of planes that are glow, the other is filled with electrics. Yet out of about 90 planes I have the one lonely REVO 3.3 hanging from the hook on the wall.

I am getting a new electric short course here soon. Just trying to decide on what one to get. I find it is harder to pick an electric over the glow. There are just way more choices.

The easy answer. You NEED both. Run the glow while you are charging the lipo for your electric. See problem solved.

Buzz.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

sigh* I don't get the whole, "electric has no soul" thing. If you want soul, go listen to James Brown.
Ha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.