Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Club 40
Reload this Page >

Question About Club 40 rules and Skyraider II Set-up

Community
Search
Notices
Club 40 Discuss all Club 40 flying here.

Question About Club 40 rules and Skyraider II Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question About Club 40 rules and Skyraider II Set-up

ORIGINAL: Alabama Racer

GSG:
It is generally accepted that the nylon 225 servo is better for racing applications
than the metal gear servo. The metal ones seem to develop wear in the geartrain
after a short time whereas the nylon geared ones do not. I probably have 30 225's
and have yet to experience a failure in one of them.
brad
Brad,

Yeah, I get it about the wear, however I was thinking wear versus stripped teeth and crashed plane.
If you need 30 more let me know, I'll hook you up on a volume discount! LOL!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DonStegall
Dual aileron servos have been in the rules since 2004. Before Airpark Elite started Mach 2 racing. Before Texas started Sky Raider racing.
Go Don!

Kurt
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of these planes and have to ask if anyone knows if they have this racing in wyoming or any state close?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: Scorpion Racing

I think he meant to add ''spoiler'' (up aileron) with the up elevator to aide in the turns....
I don't think spoiling the lift in a turn helps. Lift is the only thing in your favor in a turn! You wouldn't want to spoil it. When using flaperons, most deflect the ailerons down to increase lift, and subsequently help turn. But this is only needed when airfoils are used to minimize drag at the sacrifice of lift. The Skyraider has more than enough lift as designed.

Kurt
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Scorpion Racing

Oops, you are correct! [link=http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/f3d_flaps.htm]Flaps in Pylon Racing[/link] I thought it would be spoilers, since the low aileron creates more drag. The fact that thicker airfoils have less benefit still makes it unusable in club 40 or Quickie.

1 point for Kurt!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Bozarth

Hey Scott,

We are on the same page, as usual!

Kurt
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Ken Erickson

Hairy,

I don't know of anyone doing RCPRO Club 40 in your area. For racing, I believe you should contact Kurt Bozarth.

Ken Erickson
RCPRO Club 40 Committee
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Bozarth

Yes, Hairy - we race Skyraiders on the 3 pole short course in and around Denver. Our dedicated race field is in the process of relocating and we won't have a 2013 schedule out for a few months.

Kurt

www.airparkelite.com
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
skull1971

Ok so 2 servo's in the wing of a Skyraider, what servo's would you use? Anyone have pictures?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM
BarryReade

Skully, I have fit two DS821 in there but I have gone mostly with the Spektrum H5010 servos as I use them in my 424 plane and they are strong enough for the 426 planes also.  two Hitsc 225's would fit in there also.  Lots of room.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:37 PM
hairy46

Ok thanks guys I will watch and learn so that I will have a legal entry next season! Denver is doable.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barry,
Do you run two aileron servos in your quickies? I have only seen one other guy do that in the past.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:03 PM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: vicman

Barry,
Do you run two aileron servos in your quickies? I have only seen one other guy do that in the past.
No, I run three H5010 and one 5030 for the throttle servo on my 424 planes. If I ever get to 426 I might have to use a different throttle servo for the fuel line pinch.I only used two on my SRMII's for flaperons. I am not sure that it would help someone at my level of thumbs to mess with the coupling of the ailerons with the elevator. I will say that on my Ultra Stick i have flaps coupled with the elevator and it really fly's tight loops.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM
squidman
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Ok so 2 servo's in the wing of a Skyraider, what servo's would you use? Anyone have pictures?

since i'm using an old Futaba four channel on 75 mhz, i use three servos to operate my flapperons for tighter turning around the pylons.

i use my best servo to slide the tray that has the other two mounted on it. to get differential throw, i use the stronger servo on the outboard wing.

i plan on giving out some more speed secrets as the time draws near for the race in Waco. keep watching !
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Bozarth

Just realize, the tightest turn isn't necessarily the quickest, and the quickest isn't necessarily the tightest.

Kurt
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: squidman

ORIGINAL: skull1971

since i'm using an old Futaba four channel on 75 mhz, i use three servos to operate my flapperons for tighter turning around the pylons.

i use my best servo to slide the tray that has the other two mounted on it. to get differential throw, i use the stronger servo on the outboard wing.

i plan on giving out some more speed secrets as the time draws near for the race in Waco. keep watching !
Well I was thinking of using a hs85bb attached to the "Left handed canooter valve" on the engine, to advance and retard the timing on the turns and straits, but it's only a 2 screw servo, is it still ok because it's not a control surface? Oh and what RPM do you set your tire pressure?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Skully, What about mixing throttle with elevator. The idea is when you pull hard up elevator your engine will
lean out some, or even sag, so to compensate for this condition have the throttle drop down just a little. The theory is that you can lean your engine out just a little more, and it won't sag in the turn. It's an old racing secret. This tip is just for you. Don't share it with anyone. Thanks, Greg
Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 AM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: GREG DOE

Skully, What about mixing throttle with elevator. The idea is when you pull hard up elevator your engine will
lean out some, or even sag, so to compensate for this condition have the throttle drop down just a little. The theory is that you can lean your engine out just a little more, and it won't sag in the turn. It's an old racing secret. This tip is just for you. Don't share it with anyone. Thanks, Greg
Thanks Greg, I'm still trying to figure out how to mount a cattle guard bumper on my planes too.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Skully, I'll have to draw the "cattle guard bumper" out for you in Auto Cad; Addition 57 point 8.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
squidman
My Feedback: (2)

really??[X(]
Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 PM
homer-1954

Gasser

There are 5 clubs that race close to you in Florida. Tri-Counry RC in Dunnellon, the OMAC in Ocala, Flying Gators in Gainesville, HAM club and the guys from On TOP OF THE World west of Ocala. They rotate between the clubs for their events. You could contact anyone of those clubs for information as to what they allow or if you have time on the 27th they are having an event at the Flying Gators field starting around 9:00am, You are welcome to attend and get firsthand advice. You can check the Flying Gators website for directions or contact me for directions it you decide to come up.

Larry
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM
houckj

I just finished assembling my first Sky Raider for my entry into pylon racing. It is the old type without the streamlined nose and has a single aileron servo (Hitec 425's)   I have owed 2 others but the were purchased used and flew very well.
I replaced the rudder and elevator push-rods because of extreme binding but otherwise it is stock.

My aircraft ended up weighting 4.6 lbs before balancing. . I needed to add over 2.5 ounces to the nose to get a cg at 3 inches.  What CG do most people use in racing.  Do you use any expo or other programming?

Is there any place to look for trimming tips and flying strategy?  I plan to fly at the Georgetown Texas event in November.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM
skull1971

ORIGINAL: houckj

I just finished assembling my first Sky Raider for my entry into pylon racing. It is the old type without the streamlined nose and has a single aileron servo (Hitec 425's) I have owed 2 others but the were purchased used and flew very well.
I replaced the rudder and elevator push-rods because of extreme binding but otherwise it is stock.

My aircraft ended up weighting 4.6 lbs before balancing. . I needed to add over 2.5 ounces to the nose to get a cg at 3 inches. What CG do most people use in racing. Do you use any expo or other programming?

Is there any place to look for trimming tips and flying strategy? I plan to fly at the Georgetown Texas event in November.

Come to Waco this weekend and get your feet wet!!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: houckj

I just finished assembling my first Sky Raider for my entry into pylon racing. It is the old type without the streamlined nose and has a single aileron servo (Hitec 425's) I have owed 2 others but the were purchased used and flew very well.
I replaced the rudder and elevatorpush-rodsbecause of extreme binding but otherwise it is stock.
My aircraft ended up weighting 4.6 lbs before balancing. . I needed to add over 2.5 ounces to the nose to get a cg at 3 inches. What CG do most people use in racing. Do you use any expo or other programming?
Is there any place to look for trimming tips and flying strategy? I plan to fly at the Georgetown Texas event in November.
I just finsihed one of mine up tonight finally! Mine weighs in at 4 lbs 10.5 ozs dry. But this is my trainer / practice ship and has a 6.0Vbatt (2S Lipo in the race ship), standard receiver (Micro in the race ship) and some heavy metal gear servos. Used a 6.0oz tank and all stock linkage & parts.

Balanced at 85mm per the book with 3/4oz lead on the tail.

She'll get a few laps on her tomorrow. I look forward to trimming her out and seeing if I can get a grip on this pylon thing.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser

Okay, I am hooked! This is fun!

I put 5 or 6 flights on my practice Skyraider II this morning. That is too much fun! Motor is still on the fat side, but after a prop change and some tuning, she runs pretty well and a couple guys at my club timed some laps and it seems I may be reasonably competitve right off the bat. Just need to get a better feel for the course, but running 10 feet off the deck is some serious fun!

Thanks to everyone who talked me into this.... Weeeeeeee...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.