Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

My Savage X 4.6 Is Alive

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Savage X 4.6 Is Alive

I (finally) started the break-in process for my 4.6. I've only gone through two tanks, but some initial thoughts:

1. I'm a pull-start guy, so it will take a bit for me to get used to the roto-start.
2. I installed a wheelie bar, which makes the roto-start process a little more cumbersome (alhough I'm sure I'll get it used to it in time).
3. This truck has a HUGE fuel tank. It's going to take 3/4 of a gallon just to break in the engine.
4. I had to trim the body quite a bit to fit it over the engine guard I installed. I'm sure it's worth it.
5. The default needle settings is rich as hell (a good thing for newbies). Looking forward to tuning it after its fifth tank.
6.The design is extremelydifferent than a 1/8 buggy (my three othervehicles). It'll be interesting to start wrenching on this.
7. Although Ihave yet to go past 1/4 throttle, I'm impressed with the way this tank handles itself.
8. I can't wait to finish the break-in and start bashing this ****.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Savage X 4.6 Is Alive

YES.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 AM
JohnP2

I just took it out for its third tank. I'm stunned at how rich the stock settings are. I could not get the engine temps past 140. I leaned the HSN 1/4 and it helped. Gonna tune it a little more for the fourth tank to get it between 200-220, then in the 240s for the fifth tank....and then finalize the tune after that. I know they stock the needle settings rich for folks that are not adept with breaking in engines. This is fine...I don't mind a slow break in. ;-) 

This is my fifth engine to break in, and this is the first that required such extreme tuning after break in. Thus far it's been fun, but still on the fence regarding the roto-start.

Question: How long does the roto-start battery hold it's charge? 

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM
yoyo5

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I justtook it out for its third tank. I'm stunned at how rich the stock settings are. I could not get the engine temps past 140. I leaned the HSN 1/4 and it helped. Gonna tune it a little more for the fourth tank to get it between 200-220, then in the 240s for the fifth tank....and then finalize the tune after that. I know they stock the needle settings rich for folks that are not adept with breaking in engines. This is fine...I don't mind a slow break in. ;-)

This is my fifth engine to break in, and this is the first that required such extreme tuning after break in. Thus far it's been fun, butstill on thefence regarding the roto-start.

Question: How longdoes the roto-start battery hold it's charge?

Thanks!
It lasted me for about 4 tanks but had some problems starting and could have got about 8-10 tanks if I didn't keep flooding it ( nitros harder than I thought but love it it )

Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
JohnP2

New engines are really easy to flood. I flooded this one already (but could tell immediately). One plus side to the roto-start is "de-flooding" your engine is a lot easier than with a pull-start.

Maybe I'm an "old-school newbie"...but I still prefer pull-starts. If you know what you're doing, pull-starts are pretty easy to operate.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM
AIRSAVAGE

Welcome to the club man! I just got mine broke in as well and my son and I are enjoying it so far. I had the Savage 21 and it was the most fun out of all the cars I've owned. It's exciting to have another one and see my sons eyes light up when he hears that noise and smells the nitro! (Actually he said the nitro made is eyes water! LOL) I haven't messed with tuning it yet, but I'm sure it's on the rich side. I don't think I've heard it shift yet either.