Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Another newbie question..savage x4.6.. When putting clutch bell on will u see a little clutch pad

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Another newbie question..savage x4.6.. When putting clutch bell on will u see a little clutch pad

Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 AM
stimpytheman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newbie question..savage x4.6.. When putting clutch bell on will u see a little clutch pad

Hello again another newbie question when putting the clutch bell back on a savage x4.6 will u see a very little bit of the clutch pads at all? I noticed when I put it back on the clutch pads are slightly visible and I just wanted to make sure this is ok, thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM
AIRSAVAGE

Default RE: Another newbie question..savage x4.6.. When putting clutch bell on will u see a little clutch pad

Hey, I think all you should see is the fly wheel (silver). I just looked at mine and I don't see the black clutch shoes at all. Make sure the bearing that goes inside the clutch bell gets pushed all the way in.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 PM
stimpytheman

Default RE: Another newbie question..savage x4.6.. When putting clutch bell on will u see a little clutch pad

hey thanks for the reply, it seems that the bearings are all the way in but still see just a VERY small amount of the clutch pads...not sure what else to do, or if it even matters...what do you think?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM
stimpytheman

here are some pics of the clutch bell setup so you can see, the clutch bell actually slips up and down a tiny tiny bit on the end of the crank will the flywheel and all attach...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95420.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1810038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89759.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	1810039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14564.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	1810040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14110.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	1810041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17494.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1810042  
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

The bushing on the end (the one on right after the screw) does it show any signs of wear? I do know these can wear and allow some fore and aft play like what you're experiencing. Check it out and let us know, you don't want that much play in your CB, it will just play havoc on your spur gear.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
AIRSAVAGE

Is the flywheel tight on the collet? You should be able to hold the flywheel and tighten the black nut down on it. I had an issue with my Savage x when I first got it. The collet welded itself into the flywheel so it wasn't able to grip the shaft. everything shifted forward and the clutch springs got shreaded.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you should have a little play (about 1mm) on the clutch bell, it seems like you either have too much play, or there is an obstruction. If you have greater than 1mm of play, did you put the shims back on in the same order? I've yet to take my clutch bell off on my Savage X 4.6, but assume there are multiple shims in it.

If the play is at about 1mm, then I would check the collet. Did you take the flywheel off too?

If it helps, I attached a picture of the stock setting. Mine only has five tanks in it...so it's still very new. You can see the shoes are no visible. This is with the clutch bell pushed out toward the front as far as it will go.

Have you tried running it? If so, is there a difference in performance? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32496.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1810503  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM
BChiz

You probably need to put more shims on the outside before you put your screw in the end of the shaft. You have too much play there.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 PM
SLAYERDUDE

The shoes should not be visible, the CB needs to be shimmed towards the flywheel.
You will get a lip on the shoes that should not be there otherwise.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:06 PM
stimpytheman

re"> BASH ME UP- THANKS FOR THE REPLY, NOPE....IT SHOWS NO WEAR, AND JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT I REPLACED IT WHEN I REPLACED THE BEARINGS AND THE CLUTCH BELL WITH A VENTED ONE.

AIRSAVAGE- I'M NOT SURE IF THE FLYWHEEL IS WELDED TO THE COLLET CAUSE I HAVENT ACTUALLY TAKEN THE FLYWHEEL OFF YET BECAUSE I JUST PUT THE NEW CLUTCH SHOES ON AND IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ARSS...LOL, BUT I MAY JUST DO IT TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING LOOKS GOOD, WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY TO GET IT OFF??

JOHN P2-YEP, EVERYTHING WENT BACK ON LIKE I TOOK IT OFF...AND YEAH, I DID RUN IT AND IT DOESNT SEEM TO HURT THE PERFORMANCE...

BCHIZ-I'LL TRY THAT AND SEE IF IT HELPS WITH THE MOVING BACK AND FORTH ON THE SHAFT

SLAYERDUDE-HOW WOULD I SHIM SOMETHING BACKWARDS?? NOT SURE HOW TO GET IT FARTHER BACK ON THE SHAFT...

re">
Old 10-14-2012, 09:12 PM
SLAYERDUDE

If there is a spacer behind the clutch nut between the flywheel and nut, remove it, if there's any spacers between the nut and inner bearing of the CB, remove them.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 PM
AIRSAVAGE

If you're able to spin the fly wheel freely then something ain't right. (fly wheel stuck to the collet) So far, this really doesn't sound like your problem.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

There should be a little play in the clutch bell, as you are noticing. As for the shoes being exposed, try a shim kit and space it so that the entire shoe touches the bell.

I'm surprised no one has stated for you to upgrade to a vented bell and aluminum shoes...3-shoe aluminum kit from the XL on ebay is really cheap, along with the vented bell.