Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

3D Printing Tank Treads, etc

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

3D Printing Tank Treads, etc

Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 AM
tsull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Printing Tank Treads, etc

I have been researching the new 3D printers for quite some time. To be able to print out the object (a tank tread or sprocket) and cast it in a simple and (relatively inexpensive*) cost effective alloy with nominal machining would be incredible.

Take a look at this link. It describes with video the complete process and outcome.

http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

Thanks for looking.

tjs
PS: 3D printers are now in the $500 to $600 price range with full licensing rights.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM
tisaksen

Default RE: 3D Printing Tank Treads, etc

one word: drool!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could get my damn printer working I would be doing this.

Anyway, I feel like one should put a bit more effort into cleanup of the printed product before making a mold
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have pre-ordered a Makibox. It will be $300 fully enclosed 3d printer that uses inexpensive pellets instead of filament. The main reason for my purchase is to make my own R/C parts.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've got the cash then the quality on this one is amazing

[link=http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html]3D Printer[/link]
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Oracus

I have pre-ordered a Makibox. It will be $300 fully enclosed 3d printer that uses inexpensive pellets instead of filament. The main reason for my purchase is to make my own R/C parts.
Pellets or powder?

Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

I looked at one of the links, but are these all printers that use various forms of plastics?

I was listening to a story on the radio just the other day, and the guy made the comment that anything that can be made into a powder, theoretically the proper 3D printer would be able to make the product out of.

Can only hope that means that powdered aluminum and steel 3D printers are coming (or are already out there) at a price many can afford.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:37 AM
tsull

The catch is "that can be afforded"!

The best right now for us "normals" is to print with the ABS (which is very strong) and either use it "as is" or use it to cast metal treads. I want to try the ABS and see how fast they wear out. You can always print more!

We have a T30 that we are going to start on. Perfect time to try the tread printing.

tjs
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

If you are using it for casting, there are 3d printers that print in wax...    for lost wax casting.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dyeager535

I looked at one of the links, but are these all printers that use various forms of plastics?

I was listening to a story on the radio just the other day, and the guy made the comment that anything that can be made into a powder, theoretically the proper 3D printer would be able to make the product out of.

Can only hope that means that powdered aluminum and steel 3D printers are coming (or are already out there) at a price many can afford.

Metal printers are already out there (though they are very expensive). Just been reading about a group of people who have designed a working gun that can be printed out, though the barrel has to be bought.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

The guy in this project is who I heard talking. http://www.newscientist.com/article/...is-seized.html

500,000 British Pounds for a metal printer, they'd have to come down just a hair before they were cost effective for tracks.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Oracus

ORIGINAL: Martellus

Pellets or powder?

ABS or PLA plastic Pellets.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
DeadTom

I too am awaiting my MakiBox....I have alot of parts already designed in Blender for my RC Cobra heli (50" rotor span)....one day it will be ready for us to use.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 AM
tsull

Hopefully you can post pictures as you start printing! I'm looking at a Medel Prusa in 4 months (I have to pass the AZ state bar first.....). When do you think you'll start printing?
tjs
Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 AM
DeadTom

tsull,
Good luck with passing the bar; the MakiBox has not been released just yet, the developer says soon. But as soon as I receive the printer I will be printing parts and showing a few select forums what the printer can do.
DT
Old 10-16-2012, 07:56 AM
tsull

That sounds excellent. I'm looking at several CNC Machines such as the ShapeOko that can utilize either CNC routing (plastic and aluminum) or 3D printing by changing the router head or simply adding the 3D printer head with an offset. From gcode to .stl code is more of the issue then the machine itself from what I understand.

tjs
Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 AM
DeadTom

That is too funny, I built a DIY JGRO CNC router you can find it on www.CNCZone.com search DeadToms JGRO. Kind of old pics and should update with more recent pics one day. Once the CNC bug bites it is as bad as any RC bug bite.....have fun.

PS - if you use Mach 3 it has been modified to run with 3D print software, good news if you are planning on running Mach 3.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
tsull

I'd love to see more pictures of your JGRO CNC. I'm just starting this journey and reading/watching everything I can. My understanding is that the difference and issue between a CNC machine capable of machining aluminum versus a 3D printer will be the mass of the gantry and router. I'm wondering if there are plans for a combination unit where it is relatively simple to remove the complete router and attachment mechanisms and replace with a lightweight extruder and attachment systems and where your build envelope is 2'x2'x8" or more?
If not, I'll probably start designing one on CAD. Whether it will work or not, I've found that by 3D design, you really end up knowing every part and piece and how they attach (or don't!).
Thanks for your comments,
tjs
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Oracus

Originally Posted by DeadTom
I too am awaiting my MakiBox....I have alot of parts already designed in Blender for my RC Cobra heli (50" rotor span)....one day it will be ready for us to use.
Deadtom,

Well Makibox's are starting to ship! Yea! I am starting to build my 3d scanner and acetone vapor chamber for finishing parts.

Anyone who would like to design parts I will gladly accept .stl files, gcode or cad drawings that i will import myself. Eventually I would like to produce parts on a small scale. I do this to further our great R/C hobbies!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dyeager535
The guy in this project is who I heard talking. http://www.newscientist.com/article/...is-seized.html

500,000 British Pounds for a metal printer, they'd have to come down just a hair before they were cost effective for tracks.
If I had that kind of money I'd buy a real tank, or two ..........
rex
Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Cruiser133

If anybody manages to make E-100 tracks, I will gladly help them pay back some of their investment!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 3D printer myself
I tell you guys what, I will print a few test tracks for you guys if you provide me with the STL files. I have a max resolution of .1mm (.05mm here soon hopefully) and some nice glow in the dark plastic ABS currently. I have printed everything from phone stands to measuring cups, now I can add tank tracks to it

There is another way to have fun with printing big things, I just recently read of a guy printing a whole body of a car. He drew it up on the computer, cut each piece so they fit together, and printed one piece at a time. Then he connected them and fiberglassed over it and had a new car (I think it was an old Ferrari if I remember correctly). You could do that with a tank too and either cast or fiberglass it. Either way, that is a big project and a LOT of plastic. Glad it is dirt cheap atm. about $35 for a kilo of ABS.

1/10th RC rim with tire mounted: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3409voinm...2022.34.53.jpg
The right rim is before acetone bathing, and the left is after.

1/16th RC sand rim: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7l0p54lyu...2018.01.15.jpg
This one is all rim, no tire. I was gonna spray some rubber coating on it, but someone ending up trading me something for them.

I print all kinds of things RC is my favorite

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 09-05-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

The trick is getting accurate measurements to make the CAD file with. I would need a real track link to measure, or a copy of the origonal factory specs. With one of those to work with I could draw the CAD file needed to 3D print track links.

Anybody out there have a copy of E-100 track section factory specs?

Or any other desired tracks?

Last edited by Pah co chu puk; 09-05-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tsull
I have been researching the new 3D printers for quite some time. To be able to print out the object (a tank tread or sprocket) and cast it in a simple and (relatively inexpensive*) cost effective alloy with nominal machining would be incredible.

Take a look at this link. It describes with video the complete process and outcome.

http://3dtopo.com/lostPLA/

Thanks for looking.

tjs
PS: 3D printers are now in the $500 to $600 price range with full licensing rights.
the guy has a laser how awesome is that ....cool
Old 09-05-2013, 07:57 PM
atnhstywen

If I could get my damn printer working I would be doing this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.