Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Sometimes we pay too much

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sometimes we pay too much

None of my cars work.

Actually two work... but that's due to the fact I only have two radios.

I have all Tamiya's + a Losi MRC. I have never broken them by crashing.... stuff has just broken off. I'm a good driver, but it gets very fusturating.
Even Tamiya and other stuff can be lower quality.

I do have a Kyosho DRX brushless on the way... my first attemp at going fast offroad. I did buy a E-Maxx for $20 though... which I used Ta03 electrics in and then traded for a Mini-Z and a RC18.. then traded the RC18 and a Losi Micro Rally for a losi mini rock crawler... sold the TA03 as a roller for $60..

When people ask for "What's the best cheap car... I want to spend around ($ Amount) but don't want to go over ($ Amount)... it's logical to go to the top of your budget.

What annoys me about Traxxas is the way that hobby shops and fans recommend them... want an RC car? Traxxas Slash or Traxxas Stampede?
Traxxas stuff does usually "Just work" which is where a lot of the attraction is.

There are a lot of good cheap beginner cars from lesser known brands entering the market now.. and given the choice when I first got into cars I wish I would have bought one of them.
My first car was a TA03 (Actuall I think it was a losi micro rally). And I had no clue what to do with it.. It worked for a while. I think. I really just had no clue what was going on, but working on some old junk taught me how to work on my new cars.

The Losi was great though - almost wish I still had it.

I think now I would recommend something like Aarma, Helion, Speed Passion, etc.

Me more had say to thing but often brain work not right, definitively.

(This is the most confusing post ever.. I've edited it like 20 times in the past 10 mins...)

(Still editing)

(Yep)

I've never even jumped a car before except for my F103 accidentally

(Still editing)

Old 06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
arless

Experience and know how I think is the key to having a good all around vehicle, I'll say nitro airplane or helicopter or nitro car in RTR. All have to have a lot of adjustments done before their ready to drive. That's why the guy with the know how can get a way with the cheaper stuff?? He knows what it can and cannot do. He also buys a vehicle that has a purpose point. Now this post is not for you minority Mogul's out their! where money is no object. This is for us working people and people with disabilities, who have to watch every dime we spend. Has a bigger impact on how we use our toys, and also how hard we are with them. We have a guy who lives a wealthy neighbor hood (Now i'm not bashing you fellas with money). who comes to the school parking lot on occasions. He has some expensive toys, he plays with them like he could care less if he totals them. He brings several vehicles with him every time he comes. He will destroy at least one every time he comes. Us poor folks, barely getting by take care of what we can afford. I love working on this stuff, cause I have to ,my pocket book dictates what we do.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:42 PM
arless

I think everybody post on this has a good point to take at heart, I read each and every post. I just wanted to add that I ordered a HPI header for my Forza, $17.00 dollars OTD.I have alreadypulled baffle and O'Ring outthe mufflerI removed the carburetor and brake linkage and removed the stock exhaust manifold, Took longer than the whole install of the new header. The new header has Phillip head screws vs allen head screws, Anyway I now have it ready and primed, I also put a few drops of 5w30 Mobil1 Synthetic oil in the cylinder head. It's really too hot to start a new engine so... 30 minutes before dark I'm going to lite it off. I will be using blue thunder break in fuel. I'll keep everyone posted good or bad..
Old 06-20-2012, 09:07 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

Reminds me of people spending thousands on a turbo to keep up with a V8, why not just buy the V8 then turbo it

but on the other hand, some of the big companys have made some duds...
I alone am trying to erase that horrible phrase ''turbo it'' and ''it's turboed''

try to say ''turbocharge it'' or ''it's turbocharged'' sorry, this is completely off topic. I tolerate almost all slang, but I don't let ''turbo it'' fly
Very common frase here in Australia, lol turbocharged... That wouldent go down to well in a workshop... Lol. Who says turbocharged anymore?, cars don't have that written on them. Just Turbo nowadays, maby back in the 80s when everything had the name turbocharge, even fruit juice.

U just have to realize Australians speak slightly different to Americans, as do Americans speak slightly different to the English.
In a way u have to let it fly, don't really have a choice, do ya
"we" do that here too, its incorrect, you can call a car a 850 turbo, supra turbo, whatever turbo and its fine, I would not expect to see "turbocharged" on a car when you can say "turbo" however, if you are talking about the engine, you say "its a turbocharged 4cylinder" you wouldn't (or shouldn't) say " its a turbo'd 4cylinder" you can say " the car has a turbo" but not "the car is turbo'd"

way back when, turbo's where called "turbo superchargers" but that is over stated, then it was "turbocharger" but still, we know it "charges" the airmixture, so now its called a "turbo" you can call the part a turbo, but when it is attached to the engine you should say its "turbocharged" you wouldn't say its "super'd" instead of "supercharged" you can say its "blown" which is well known car slang that has been around forever, the same way you can say a turbocharged engine is "boosted" because its a well known term because you say "its getting 10 pounds of boost"

every time i hear turboed I die a little inside.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol well it's a good thing I dident say turbo'd

In my first post it was going to be 4cyl turbo, but I then got to thinking about L6's and V6's so I dropped 4cyl and just left turbo. Hey turbos are just glorified heat exchangers/converter... Nifty invention IMO

Turbo, hair dryer, Snail, sneeze machine. All the same to me....

Nope we sill call out engines turbo.... Or "fully sick turbo" say u roll up to a street cruise in a 73 Datsun 180b, pop the hood, some one asks "what's in that mate?" you say "SR20" they say "turbos?/turbs?" you say "Bloody oth, what do u think I'm as silly as a cut snake?"
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM
The_Shark

Lol well it's a good thing I dident say turbo'd

In my first post it was going to be 4cyl turbo, but I then got to thinking about L6's and V6's so I dropped 4cyl and just left turbo. Hey turbos are just glorified heat exchangers/converter... Nifty invention IMO

Turbo, hair dryer, Snail, sneeze machine. All the same to me....

Nope we sill call out engines turbo.... Or ''fully sick turbo'' say u roll up to a street cruise in a 73 Datsun 180b, pop the hood, some one asks ''what's in that mate?'' you say ''SR20'' they say ''turbos?/turbs?'' you say ''Bloody oth, what do u think I'm as silly as a cut snake?''
yeah you can say its a 2.3 turbo sure, but when you put a turbo on a engine you turbocharge it, not turbo it

I want to get my 78 vette out there but 1- it costs a fortune to ship it and 2- it will cost a fortune to fuel it. 5.7 litres of naturally aspirated fury, if i had a chance and the money I would turbocharge it, twin turbos 5lbs on each, just for a little more oomph.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:30 PM
phmaximus

hummmm nice, vette...
wouldent stress to much arbout fuel... yeah its expensive but managable. ATM its $1.30-$1.50 per liter. Heaps of V8 around here. there are 4.9L, 5L, 5.4L, 5.7L, 6L & 6.2L. And a few American bigblocks.

If u are planing to move here look into shipping continer. u could fit ur vette, rc's, and household items... dont think its cost that much
No import duty on cars older than 30 years. only 10% GST(TAX) on total value, because its over 30 years old there is no red tabe to get it "road worthy"
have a look online and get a quote for a shipping cotainer
Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 PM
The_Shark

hummmm nice, vette...
wouldent stress to much arbout fuel... yeah its expensive but managable. ATM its $1.30-$1.50 per liter. Heaps of V8 around here. there are 4.9L, 5L, 5.4L, 5.7L, 6L & 6.2L. And a few American bigblocks.

If u are planing to move here look into shipping continer. u could fit ur vette, rc's, and household items... dont think its cost that much
No import duty on cars older than 30 years. only 10% GST(TAX) on total value, because its over 30 years old there is no red tabe to get it ''road worthy''
have a look online and get a quote for a shipping cotainer
i did my homework, i could move right now if i had the money (well, after i get my papers done) its going to be around $2600 USD to ship the car.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
phmaximus

thats good, well worth it... there is a 1973 Corvette Sting Ray Targa Top 350 Chev Automatic on ebay for 16k.....
they say as a rule of thumb with old cars if its worth over 7k then its worth importing
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

id prefer an old associated ntc3 over any of the newer onroad cars and they havent changed since the first platform they are cheap on ebay. ive had the hpi rs4 which looks like a sherman tank compared to the tc3yet they sell for 200$ plus where as a tc3 sells for about 120$ go figure right. i love my offroad as well
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM
phmaximus

Hey 4 months later we get another reply
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
SLAYERDUDE

LOL, I'll add another reply just for fun!

Instead of a high dollar Losi 8T or Mugen 6T, I bought a Hot Bodies D8T to race in truggy class, about 1/2 the price for the kit and handled fine out of the box and still held up better than either of it's competitors....
It's still a name brand, but 1/2 the price FTW.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
phmaximus

Interesting.... What do u mean about it holding up against the losi and mugen?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The ''you get what you pay for'' line so often repeated only applies sometimes, but it is very far from a universtal rule. There are tons of exceptions. Especially in nitro engines for ex., IMO(bashing AND racing..) There are dozens of good options in the $200 range, and yeah, some engine that costs twice as much might be ''better'' to some small degree, but not the degree reflected in the price difference. I have kind of an engine fetish now, and have reached the point where I pretty much only buy stuff that comes along really cheap. If I lived in the States for ex. I'd snap up that Nvision 521 Race from Amain in a heartbeat.. Why pay more?

More and more what I notice is that - again, in both racing and bashing - the person setting up and running the gear makes a much bigger difference than just the brand name. People buy $400 Novarossis and RB's and OS Speeds, but these high-dollar engines won't really outperform something much cheaper if the owner doesn't really know what he's doing. Whereas some guy with a setup that cost half as much, but who really knows what he's doing, can get more performance out of what he has than the guy with the expensive stuff. Just buying expensive is no guarantee that it'll be better. Know-how and experience is more important than brand-name and price.

Applies to chassis' in racing too. Buying an X-ray will not make you faster. Setup and driver skill are so important in 8th scale racing.

Anyway, the ''you get what you pay for'' mantra is riddled with exceptions.

I could not agree with you more !

Buying expensive doesn't automatically make you fast.....The skill and knowledge of the user behind the gear makes far more difference then any other single factor involved........ A racer with a moderate engine and good tuning skills will blow the doors off a novice running the fastest modified on the market but with no tuning skills or experience behind them.......However once the modified gets into the hands of the skilled and experienced tuner the story changes quite dramatically......a well tuned modified will literally blow the doors off a well tuned stock engine...But the experience and skill needs to be there to support the higher end gear.............
Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Interesting.... What do u mean about it holding up against the losi and mugen?
Durability wise, there have been many Mugen and Losi parts broken/replaced on my friends truggy/buggies during the last year or so, I only recently broke a couple carriers on the new track layout.
My HB D8T was tougher than theirs on an easy track, we have a tougher course now and my D8T is starting to show the weak points.
(Even if it's after 2 years on the track lol)
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: supertib

..However once the modified gets into the hands of the skilled and experienced tuner the story changes quite dramatically......a well tuned modified will literally blow the doors off a well tuned stock engine...But the experience and skill needs to be there to support the higher end gear.............
Blowing the doors off a well tuned stock engine is the mantra of all the modders. Too bad doorsbeing blown off doesn't usually win races.

Watching a modded engine run around a track by itself doesn't really mean much. Sure they sound and seem to run great. Sure they make great straightaway runners. But how many passes on the straightaway have you seen? Not by the Pros, only in the bush leagues.Check some of Savage Sam's videos where he is running with others. There's always a vehicle or two pacing him. How is that possible? Now that he has switched to Alpha engines, do you really think he will be doing worse than with CRE engines? I doubt it.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

..However once the modified gets into the hands of the skilled and experienced tuner the story changes quite dramatically......a well tuned modified will literally blow the doors off a well tuned stock engine...But the experience and skill needs to be there to support the higher end gear.............
Blowing the doors off a well tuned stock engine is the mantra of all the modders. Too bad doors being blown off doesn't usually win races.

Watching a modded engine run around a track by itself doesn't really mean much. Sure they sound and seem to run great. Sure they make great straightaway runners. But how many passes on the straightaway have you seen? Not by the Pros, only in the bush leagues. Check some of Savage Sam's videos where he is running with others. There's always a vehicle or two pacing him. How is that possible? Now that he has switched to Alpha engines, do you really think he will be doing worse than with CRE engines? I doubt it.

Wait...what?? Are you saying a well tune stock engine will be faster than a well tune modded engine? Are you saying an experienced driver will be slower with a modded engine vs. a stock engine? Or that a faster engine won't lower your lap times? Or are you saying anything at all?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

Blowing the doors off a well tuned stock engine is the mantra of all the modders. Too bad doors being blown off doesn't usually win races.

Watching a modded engine run around a track by itself doesn't really mean much. Sure they sound and seem to run great. Sure they make great straightaway runners. But how many passes on the straightaway have you seen? Not by the Pros, only in the bush leagues. Check some of Savage Sam's videos where he is running with others. There's always a vehicle or two pacing him. How is that possible? Now that he has switched to Alpha engines, do you really think he will be doing worse than with CRE engines? I doubt it.

The modified engines can definitely make a difference ..don't kid yourself.......Sam is a very controlled racer who doesn't usually paste his trigger full out.... He actually likes the modifieds as he can get around the track using very little throttle and conserve fuel...and when the opportunity is there he can lay into the power and pass anyone at will........Sam is not out there to drag race people, he will only go as fast as the track and conditions will allow, which in many cases is not full throttle....He often will limit the EPA down if the conditions are slick...... In a head to head speed contest the modifieds will have no issue outrunning and outgunning their stock counterparts by a pretty big margin......... If the track conditions and layout are there to use the power and speed is what really matters...some tracks you can use the juice, other tracks you cannot.................... at the end of the day dude your just a little hater... you sit behind the safety and anonymity of your user name and pick fights with me on the internet... your a real hero dude ! tell you what , you let me know where and when you race and we will come down there and give you a free clinic on nitro RC !!!!!