Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 3.0

Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 PM
cstoutr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 3.0

What are some good alternate motors for the caldera 3.0? I'm looking for something that will bolt right up and run reliably. The SH18 just won't cooperate with me.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Caldera 3.0

ORIGINAL: cstoutr

What are some good alternate motors for the caldera 3.0? I'm looking for something that will bolt right up and run reliably. The SH18 just won't cooperate with me.
You could go with an O.S. .18, will have more power but will come with more price as well, substantially! What kind of problem are you having with the SH? They're known to be very dependable and easy to tune engines. Maybe you just got a bad one. I would personally replace it with the same power plant just going by my past experience with SH, especially the .18.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:14 AM
cstoutr

I have been trying to get it to run for a friend. It will run about 5 seconds and quit. I have adjusted both needles with no change. It's possibly an air leak but I can't seem to find it. I'm done with the SH.18.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been trying to get it to run for a friend. It will run about 5 seconds and quit. I have adjusted both needles with no change. It's possibly an air leak but I can't seem to find it. I'm done with the SH.18.
Well, hopefully if your friend buys a new engine, it will never act up and you won't have to trouble shoot it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does it start without you priming it?

It could dirt or a bad needle in the carb restricting fuel flow.

If you have already done some basic troubleshooting...you can always pull the motor off the truck and dismantle it. Thats the only way to know for sure if its a small part thats bad, or if the motor is really done for.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:09 PM
cstoutr

Go ahead and make fun,lol. I'm not blaming the motor. I know there are easier motors to tune though. I don't think the motor is done for either. It will not start unless fuel is forced into the carb. It only runs the fuel that is put in and will not idle. It does the lean run because it's not pulling in more fuel. I can only get it to stay running if I hold the throttle about half but when I try to adjust the idle down it quits. There has to be a more beginner friendly motor. I suspect an air leak somewhere but he doesn't want to take the time to find it. He wants a car that runs. I know, it sounds impossible but that's what I'm dealing with. My next suggestion is electric.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Go ahead and make fun,lol. I'm not blaming the motor. I know there are easier motors to tune though. I don't think the motor is done for either. It will not start unless fuel is forced into the carb. It only runs the fuel that is put in and will not idle. It does the lean run because it's not pulling in more fuel. I can only get it to stay running if I hold the throttle about half but when I try to adjust the idle down it quits. There has to be a more beginner friendly motor. I suspect an air leak somewhere but he doesn't want to take the time to find it. He wants a car that runs. I know, it sounds impossible but that's what I'm dealing with. My next suggestion is electric.
I always suggest electric to those new to the hobby.
many are drawn to the hobby cause they saw someone running a nitro. But nitros have soo many little things one has to learn. The learning curve for electrics is simpler.
And now with brushless models, you can get an electric that is just as fast as most nitros.

Another thought, did you try a new glow plug?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
cstoutr

Yea, I'm glad nitro Heli motors arnt this difficult.lol I havnt tried one yet but I will. I'm going to tear the motor down and check the gaskets and intervals. He flipped it and broke one of the cooling fins off so I'm thinking the gaskets might be damaged. I'm not sure how it was broken in either. I will keep working with it and let you know. Any suggestions would be great!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Yea, I'm glad nitro Heli motors arnt this difficult.lol I havnt tried one yet but I will. I'm going to tear the motor down and check the gaskets and intervals. He flipped it and broke one of the cooling fins off so I'm thinking the gaskets might be damaged. I'm not sure how it was broken in either. I will keep working with it and let you know. Any suggestions would be great!

If the heat sink (head) took a hard hit then id check both the 4 screws that hold it on, as well as the gasket (metal) between it and the block.

Also, try putting in a new glow plug. Ive had a glow plug screw up the low end (idle and low speed) performance.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
cstoutr

What plug is good for this motor. I need to get a few. This has turned into a challenge.lol I have decided to try to get it running right. I feel like with a little help from y'all I can do it.