Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Converting Power Supply For LiPo Charger Quick Help Question!

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM
pinnhead13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting Power Supply For LiPo Charger Quick Help Question!

Hi , i have come across a power supply from an unused gaming computer , im wondering the trouble it would take to convert it to be used with a multi charge style LiPo charger for my 4 2s batteries. my main concern is to how to know what load it needs to stay stable and i would love to charge more then one at a time and its either go this route or buy the simple traxxas ez peak plus charger. any and all help is appreciated.
is this power supply sufficient or too much?
also what will i need as far as parts to get it running?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87119.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1810636  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Converting Power Supply For LiPo Charger Quick Help Question!

What charger are you planning on running off that power supply?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
pinnhead13

Goldenduff- now see to be honest i wasnt entirely sure im just looking for a good value that would allow me to charge more than one 2s lipo at once , did you have any suggestions? im fairly new to this stuff as you can tell!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll need to tell us the size of the batteries before we can suggest what charger to use.
if theyre 5000mah charging 4 in parallel you'll need a charger that has a 20A charge
if there 2000mah you'll need a charger that has a charge rate of 8A. The price difference between these two is quite a bit and for the 20A you'll need a supply of over 24V, which means two supplies connected in series.
Best to stick with 1C and when your charging 4 of them its still 4x faster than charging them one at a time.

But if you only have four packs and not using any more you could use a quad charger,where each pack monitored. again depends on the size of the batteries to determine if your power supply would be ok. [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18812__Turnigy_4x6S_400W_Lithium_Polymer_Battery _Charger.html]click me[/link]
Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 AM
pinnhead13

i will check all my batteries and post info first thing in the morning! thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:22 AM
pinnhead13

Trax de Max- im thinking about going ahead and purchasing aDPS-600PBserver power supply to convert , it seems as though it would be my best bet. how does everyone feel about the Onyx 245 dual charging system for these batteries

Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Goldenduff

You will need 50atts to charge each battery at 1C. Many can be charged at higher rates. Be mindful that even if your power source can put out 50w your charger might max out at 5amps so will not be able to charge faster than 1C.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 PM
pinnhead13

So i have aDPS-600PBon the way, i plan on doing the conversion to that. what charger would allow me to charge two at a time within a decent amount of time , im looking at around a 100$ price limit , im thinkingThunder 1220 Professional Multifunctionbut i do not understand how to hook up two batteries at once to this type of setup as i only see on set of banana plugs? can someone clarify or point me in the right direction.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:18 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove the blade on red side from the traxxas and put some heat shrink over the split to protect it..
i think the onyx 245 is a bit dated now, There is cheaper,more powerful more smarter chargers than that. and i think from what i remember it will take a long time to pair up 2 lipos per side for a charge if your still wanting to charge 4 at a time.
I like the power supplies quite beefy and should last a long time. If your getting them for less than $15 buy two, it may come in handy.