Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

OS 61 RF Pumped engine on Arrow

Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM
bcfhigdon
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 61 RF Pumped engine on Arrow

Need advice on an OS 61 RF long stroke pumped engine. I would like to build an arrow and I can get this engine. Back in the day I ran short stroke YS's on the Arrow. Will the long stroke be okay in the Arrow?

Thanks Clint
Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 61 RF Pumped engine on Arrow

yeah I had one it will be a hot rod
Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see an issue but you could also look for an OS VF or a Webra shortie - what Matt used.

David
Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
bcfhigdon
My Feedback: (5)

I left out that I have this engine, picked it up today with spare parts.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcfhigdon

I left out that I have this engine, picked it up today with spare parts.

bcf, I hate you!!! Ihave one and a few spare parts, but wish I had a couple more of them. Some guys just have all the luck.

Frank

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 AM
stuntflyr

Don't they run on 11x9's or 10's. It'll just go really fast a little quieter.
Don Carlson at RCAiir makes long Arrow pipe tunnel covers, you might sweet talk him out of one to cover your longish pipe.
Chris...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Frank,

You mean like this.... I have 2 of them I found on the forum's

swing bigger prop or pitch.... If memory serves right 17 3/4 inches to baffle. ran K&B 1L plugs in them.

I ran the OS in my LA-1 & LA-2 back in the mid 80's

scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79680.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1811202  
Old 10-14-2012, 12:32 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one that I'm not using if anyone is interested.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM
auggie622
My Feedback: (39)

CLint, check your email

Seven
Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
countilaw

Yeah Scott, just like that one. One of the other members here was in Singapore a few weeks ago. He went by Singapore Hobbies and found a header pipe for it. He got me a great deal on it. Then, last week I was in a LHS and saw a Mac's tuned pipe for it. I asked the shop owner, "How much?" since it wasn't marked. He replied, " 15 bucks!" So I bought it and a lot of other stuff (I really didn't need) to make up the difference of what I thought the pipe was worth.

Now, I have everything I need to build a new CPA plane. Just haven't got the plane yet.

Frank
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Huang
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Clint,

I think I can give you a good perspective on the long vs short stroke on the Arrow. I am currently flying a MK Arrow 60 with an OS .61RF on it, APC 12x10 prop, Hatori header and Macs muffled pipe. I purchased the plane with the OS 61RF already installed. Although it flys very good with this setup, if I were to build it I would not go with the OS 61RF. I would much prefer the YS-60FR short stroke, or the Rossi or Webra short strokes.

Here's why: The problem is the pipe deck on the Arrow is not long enough to allow the long stroke 61RF to fully stage. You can measure the length of the pipe deck from the plans. From glow plug to end of pipe deck measures only 22" total, which is perfect for a short stroke, but too short for the LS engines. My header/pipe combo is absolutely maxed out and it still not long enough to come to full tune. Another 1" or so would be perfect.

If you do a search you'll see quite a few posts with this same issue if using a long stroke. The MK version of the Arrow 60 was modelled after Wolfgang's Arrow in '79. Somewhere between '81 to '83 he changed to the LS engine and lengthened the pipe deck to accommodate. But the MK plans/kit are the original SS version.

The good news is the long strokes are quite tolerant of pipe lengths and the 61RF still runs well. It's just not as fast as I'd like . So I am doing just the reverse of what you are doing, I'm taking out the 61RF for a YS-60FR, now waiting for the MK soft mount for the YS to arrive from Singapore Hobbies.

Btw, when I purchased the plane I also considered swapping out the 61RF for a new 61RF-P that I had (this was prior to realizing the pipe deck too short), but in my mock-up the pump gets awfully close to the rear firewall. After running the 61RF, it ran perfectly steady without pump pulling both inside and outside loops. So any engine without pump should work.

The plane flys awesome, smaller and more nimble than I expected. For something like this, it just feels more right to have a 15K rpm short stroke up front! If noise is not the issue, I recommend the short stroke. If you prefer LS engines, you might need to consider to lengthen the pipe deck for a perfect tune.

Matt