Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Back after a 10 year nap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Zrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back after a 10 year nap

Finnaly after a 10 year nap from RC i finally took the jump and bought a used Savage XL. Unfortunately since i was a little rusty the truck had a little more dammage than i thought. Started cleaning it and found 3 out of 4 shocks bent in the front.. Was able to straiten them enough to make them usable for now.. With the help of this site i was able to diagnose and fix a few other small issues. One being the roto start.. Only able to run a tank of fuel through it before i decided to tear it down and clean it so still working on the tuning as its not shifting through all the gears yet.. Anyone recoment a canadian place for parts? I live way up in teh north and my local hoby shop charges a good $ for things especialy fuel. So far all teh canadian sites i found do not ship fuel
Old 10-14-2012, 01:25 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Default RE: Back after a 10 year nap

Unfortunately you're not going to find many hobby shops up here in northern BC. There's on in Terrace (Creative Zone, probably who you've been dealing with), one in Prince George, and one up in Fort St. John. I haven't had great experiences dealing with any of them TBH.

For parts, consider ordering from a US based retailer such as A Main Hobbies. They have a vast inventory, and even with shipping factored in, their prices are much lower than any Canadain retailer. Additionally, eBay chop shops (plcman1, JRC, dollarhobbyz, etc.) are an inexpensive source of replacement stock components.

As for fuel, one thing you'll need to understand is that the base price has nearly doubled over the past 10 years, so you're going to spend a substantial amount on that side of the hobby regardless of who you purchase from. Shipping costs for a hazardous material such as nitro fuel are so high that you are better off continuing to shop at your LHS for gallon quantities. If you're willing to buy a case (4 gallons) at a time, Werks 30% from CRE is the best fuel I've ever used.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Zrock

thanks for the info. Checked out A main hobbies. They have some good pricing about %30 cheaper than i have seen on Canadian sites. As far as fuel goes ill have to get a buddy to bring some up from down  south area they are about $10 cheaper than local. The local shop really does not have anything anymore. Looks like the product is still old stock in the 4 foot section they store it in. Pretty sad support for the hobby locally.  definitely going to be ordering some parts when im done cleaning this thing and now that i replaced the air filter i should be able to tune it properly. Old filter was glued together
Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Zrock

ended up finding a few shops in alberta that had some good pricing... got a new remote on order tactic TTx240. figured it was a good entry level into digital and by the time i looked at getting a fail safe i was already almost 1/2 way to the price of this. and it reviewed good.. Definately right on the shops around here. still wating on the local shop to get me pricing on the same remote and bearings. Guess they did not want my money.

one thing i have noticed while cleaning this truck up... they upgraded alot of parts