Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Traxxas Rustler VXL Heat Control with 3S Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 PM
tony calabrese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Rustler VXL Heat Control with 3S Lipos

Guys,

You may have read my previous posts regarding "how to beat a HPI Vorza Fluz on 22.2V Lipos on short grass" and the some of the interesting issues that have arisen is the heat generated by the Velineon 3500kV motor. Currently i have ordered the ESC cooling fan which is supposed to clip straight onto the ESC and am going to cut out and mesh some vents above the cooling fan and near the back for the lexan body. I would like to ask for clarification and for the following advice:

1. If im running say a Turnigy Nano-tec 5000mAh with 40C continuous discharge 3S lipo, will the above controls gave me some peace of mind for not destroying the velineon system
2. Do i need an Aluminium Tranny Case to dissipate the heat generated or can i get away with another heatsink with fan mounted on the 3500kV engine with stock tranny case.
3. If i can get away with a cheaper option of fan, which one would you recommend and where can i get one than can be shipped to Aussie Land.
4. If i need to go with an Aluminium Tranny, which one shall i go for which will accomodate the stock Traxxas Wheely Bar and also mounts easily to the chasis with little or no mods. I have heard of a few with the following comments: Intergy - open tranny, need to mod the chassis, can't fit stock wheely bar, but cheap; Golden Horizons look cheap and did the job, except plent of posts regarding the unit not allowing the bearings to sit flush within the case and created many tranny, engine and esc failures: REM - great, fits well, no mods, but expensive?? HELP???
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas Rustler VXL Heat Control with 3S Lipos

You need to increase airflow and / or increase the surface area of the motor and ESC so heat can be drawn away from them efficiently. That's what heatsinks and metal motor plates do.

The Traxxas ESCfan is a simple bolt on part that will help cool the ESC. Creating vents in the body like you plan to will help also.

Regarding the motor: there are a few options but, with the stock transmission your choices are limited. Becasue the Traxxas transmission case covers most of the motor it's impossible to attach fans and most heat-sink fins to the motor can. However, you can get creative with a Dremel tool and carve away the plastic that surrounds the motor. Be careful not to cut away at the gear housing. This should allow room for a fan or other cooling device. If you want to throw some money into the truck then Proline makes a drop-in "high-performance" transmission complete with a full aluminum motor mounting plate that will help dissipate heat. View it here. You might be able to attach a secondary cooling device while using this transmission.

Besides all of this; if you're still running hot then you need to reconsider your gear selection and gear shorter for less top end which will reduce strain on the motor and ESC, thus reducing heat.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Johnnysplits

VXL motors are known for running hot. The one in my slash does just driving in the street, but hasn't been a problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:47 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are gonna consider dropping the cash on a alloy trans case....then you might as well consider a 1/8 scale brushless system.

The ezrun 120a system on 4s will surely be more powerful without getting really hot.

My buddy put one of those systems in his slash 4x4....and ran a 3s lipo. couldnt keep the truck on the ground or the driveshafts from snapping.

The larger motor has more torque, thus can be geared higher.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I find with Traxxas 1/10 2WD vehicles, you will run into heat problems with 3S no matter what you do. Either run 1/8th system or go down to 2S.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
wilfredes

He's the one on the right.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got bored one day....

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

You need to increase airflow and / or increase the surface area of the motor and ESC so heat can be drawn away from them efficiently. That's what heatsinks and metal motor plates do.

The Traxxas ESC fan is a simple bolt on part that will help cool the ESC. Creating vents in the body like you plan to will help also.

Regarding the motor: there are a few options but, with the stock transmission your choices are limited. Becasue the Traxxas transmission case covers most of the motor it's impossible to attach fans and most heat-sink fins to the motor can. However, you can get creative with a Dremel tool and carve away the plastic that surrounds the motor. Be careful not to cut away at the gear housing. This should allow room for a fan or other cooling device. If you want to throw some money into the truck then Proline makes a drop-in ''high-performance'' transmission complete with a full aluminum motor mounting plate that will help dissipate heat. View it here. You might be able to attach a secondary cooling device while using this transmission.

Besides all of this; if you're still running hot then you need to reconsider your gear selection and gear shorter for less top end which will reduce strain on the motor and ESC, thus reducing heat.
Sorry m8,
I disagree 100%

1x Cheap fan & heatsink
1x thermal Past
1x Cable tie
2min of worth cutting by hand with hacksaw blade