Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

I may have discovered my flying style through a simulator...is it possible?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

I may have discovered my flying style through a simulator...is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Purplebottom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may have discovered my flying style through a simulator...is it possible?

Good Evening,

Been trying to identify the type I flying I truly enjoy. I posted recently in the 3D forum a couple questions and looking for some recommendations on an upgrade for my next airplane. I am currently building a 1/4 scale clipped wing cub (Sig Kit). Should turn out to be a nice flier, not sure if I'll keep it.

I fly quite a few helicopters on the sim and own a handful with my most recent larger purchase a Bergen EB gasser. The heli curiosity is being satisfied but I still really enjoy building and flying balsa kits. My building skills are average but I am always seeking a design/build challenge. I do not believe my flying style will take me down the extreme 3D path. I recently have found the Pattern forum and have been combing the forums for the last few days. I am very interested in a kit pattern aircraft, prefer gas. I have looked at the smaller Vanquisher from EF but it is an ARF. If finding a pattern kit is difficult, would a smaller ARF be a good intro into pattern? Pattern kits seem to be few and far between. Looks like everything is ARF or plan built. I have not tested my building skills from plans yet.

Im rambling. Wondering if anyone would mind lending some recommendations on some quality intermediate level kits or ARFs (if electric I want to convert to gasser or 4 stroke). My flying skills are intermediate to somewhat advanced. I do not fly with a plan other than not crashing but trying to be more precise in what I do. Helicopters are a whole different game! I have a modest budget but want to be smart about initial investment. Hope my ramble made some sense.

Thank you!
Troy

Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 PM
ArchNemesis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I may have discovered my flying style through a simulator...is it possible?

If you're truly interested in a good "Kit" pattern plane I would see if someone has a Black Magic kit they can sell you. It's a design from about 2007, but would hold up in all but the FAI class of pattern. I built 4 of them with another pattern friend and it's not a bad build. The kit come with all laser cut formers and parts, glass cowls, carbon canopy, and plans for building up the box fuse. The turtle decks are sheeted foam as are the wings and stabs. You'll need to buy the sheeting wood for the the foam parts but the rest comes with the kit if I recall.

This company is selling the kit -
http://www.midatlanticairframes.com/...?id_product=11

But they list it as an electric. You may want to find out what they changed. The original VF3 was designed for glow or Electric, so I'm not sure if they changed it, or are just marketing it as Electric since that's what most are building. But that's the kit I'm referring to. Hope that helps!