Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Rear tie rod eliminator ideas? Have integy but too much negative camber.

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Rear tie rod eliminator ideas? Have integy but too much negative camber.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear tie rod eliminator ideas? Have integy but too much negative camber.

As the title says, I've been running Integy tie rod eliminators on the back of my Savage for at least 5 years now. Surprisingly they've held up well, with the Integy pins being in there are still straight.

My complaint with them however, is that the middle setting which is the most camber neutral still has too much negative camber. This not only makes the truck look a little goofy with the front wheels at 0* camber, but also wears down the inner edge of my tires.

I remember Atomic used to make a set, but can't find any? I don't want to go back to stock uprights with angle aluminum as the eliminator as it weighs almost 2x more. I managed to score a set of discontinued Imex Road Dawgs in soft compound and want to avoid the wear.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

An old pic of my last rebuild of the truck with the eliminators:

Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear tie rod eliminator ideas? Have integy but too much negative camber.

I was gonna say RPM arms, but they have optional -2* camber arms...
Maybe just rotate the tires often?
I think the HPI optional suspension has adjustable camber but it's waay pricey.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:23 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Default RE: Rear tie rod eliminator ideas? Have integy but too much negative camber.

Oh, just looked at the Integy carriers, use the inside hole with RPM -2* camber upper arms and problem solved?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 PM
sharkattack99

i just used the adjustable upper arms from HPI solved the same problem with me although i did go titanium for the metal part the name for those escape me at the moment. even use them with my flux on 6s works great just an idea.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 AM
sparky 25

A set of savage xss adjustable upper arms should cure this,

run the same rear carriers on my flux,

I purchased a used hpi suspension conversion kit from eBay,
that were missing the rear carriers but with the adjustable upper arms from the suspension kit,
it sorted out the negative camber issue On the integy rear carriers
Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM
rcnitrohead

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've always tried to stick with the pre X plastics (arms/ carriers/ etc.) because they are beefier and stronger. But I'll try the adjustable arms, seems like the most simple solution since I can't find the Atomic carriers.

Man I can't wait to break this truck out again, the last time I ran it was may and I had 2 of the most extreme blowouts I've seen in R/C haha.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
HPI_Savage_RC

Adjustable upper arms will probably be the most simple solution. I believe they are unchanged from the original pre-X design, so they should be strong. I've broken a couple at the steel turnbuckle link, but never the nylon ends.

I definitely agree that the .21/.25 plastics are stronger. I tried running X style lower arms for a while, but they are nearly as brittle as Losi and Traxxas plastics, and break almost every run. The original Savage arms are easily some of the most durable units ever found on a stock R/C.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM
rcnitrohead

Absolutely, I've only broken pre X arms on 2 occasions. When my truck was run over by a jeep, and when I gave it to my cousin and smacked into curbs at odd angles over 20mph multiple times. Easily the strongest plastic I've ever seen in RC.