Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 AM
juweeltje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you have ESM Electric Retracts?

looks like TBM selling some new esm retracts VERSION 3 !!!!! javascript:mox(); who's has the guts, buying them...?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They better get out all the gear they have owed to v2 guys for six months before they start selling to new "test" pilots!
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
wallace.tharp

I got gen II and they are fine on the bench so far. I wonder if they made any updates to them. The mains are all I have set up so far and I am electric, Hacker 60L on an ESM P-39 so should not have the vibration problems. Ideas? PS: Found out from Thomas at VQ Warbirds they are V 2.5. Thomas has great service and you can actually talk to him on the phone, or e-mail. wallace.tharp
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 AM
juweeltje

so all of you V2 owners, let us know if the upgrade actually gives achieving results.!!!!

Or better yet, would you recommend us than the esmv3 retracts?
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

OK Guys ,
I have had the V3 F8F retracts in my hands for 2 days now . Thank you TBM for following through on your promises .
At first look there is a big difference in the motor and reductiuon unit . It looks like a brushed motor still ,but it is significantly larger than the other versions .
The reduction unit looks like a planetary drive reduction verses the tiny jack shaft gear reduction previously used (which was a definate weak point).

I have cycled the gear many , many, many ,many ........ times with no signs of failing , binding , overheating etc...

The cycle time of the V3 gears is about 6 seconds which is about half the time of the V2 and about an hour faster than the V1.
The V3 retracts come with an external module/harness which has 2 outputs to gear ,1 input from receiver ,1 battery connection . This may complicate your install a little but is very easily done .
The retro fit is a drop in fit . mounting holes and frame sizes are indentical. The only difference in the unit itself is the size of the motor and I don't see this interfering with a retro fit much.

This is by no means a sales pitch or a guarantee that the V3 retracts will out perform any other but merely my observations . Only time will tell how good these things really are .
My point in writing this is to let people know that there is a V3 and it looks like ESM actually did some redesigning to try to improve their product .
Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CK1

OK Guys ,
I have had the V3 F8F retracts in my hands for 2 days now . Thank you TBM for following through on your promises .
At first look there is a big difference in the motor and reductiuon unit . It looks like a brushed motor still ,but it is significantly larger than the other versions .
The reduction unit looks like a planetary drive reduction verses the tiny jack shaft gear reduction previously used (which was a definate weak point).

I have cycled the gear many , many, many ,many ........ times with no signs of failing , binding , overheating etc...

The cycle time of the V3 gears is about 6 seconds which is about half the time of the V2 and about an hour faster than the V1.
The V3 retracts come with an external module/harness which has 2 outputs to gear ,1 input from receiver ,1 battery connection . This may complicate your install a little but is very easily done .
The retro fit is a drop in fit . mounting holes and frame sizes are indentical. The only difference in the unit itself is the size of the motor and I don't see this interfering with a retro fit much.

This is by no means a sales pitch or a guarantee that the V3 retracts will out perform any other but merely my observations . Only time will tell how good these things really are .
My point in writing this is to let people know that there is a V3 and it looks like ESM actually did some redesigning to try to improve their product .

Thanks for the info. We look forward to hearing from you again when you've flown those and they have more than a couple of days cycling in the shop.

It's great to know that they've shortened the cycle time. That also suggests the power is significantly increased.

.......... Hey, are you going to the RC Wingers War Bird FlyIn Oct 20? (Mooresville)
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 AM
juweeltje

@CK1, thanks for your input !
would it be possible?....a great retract system now,still at a reasonable price ....?hmmmm

who has also this V3set?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM
CK1

da Rock,
I wish I could make it to Mooresville . I have a grand child coming any day and still recovering from back and hip surgeries so traveling is not possible for me at this time. I do hope to get some flight time in a couple weeks to get those retracts exercised in a proper fashion.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Tone Price

Hi everyone, sorry for all the confusion thus far with these gear and thank you for your patience! We know it has been frustrating (it is for us too!) but we are positive after going back and forth with ESM we have an excellent product in the version 3's. These V3 gear are fast n' beefy!

If anyone has any stripped out gear please email [email protected]. The best way to contact us is through email though you may still give us a call.

We have many V3 gears being air shipped from ESM every few weeks until we can get our container in. ESM is working very hard to get us stocked up again but I'm sure you know things have been delayed several times.

Current gear available online: http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/searc...AND%20Retracts - More to be added as they come in!

We urge everyone wanting V3 gear to place your orders or call us to get on the back order list for your specific plane. We will also have upgrade motors/boards for those with the slower V1 gear.

For those curious about the new gear, here are some videos:

Simple actuation test:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miCZIilACI8[/youtube]

Retrofitting V3 to the older gear:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MGxIQ1KRaQ[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98662.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1810355  
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM
wallace.tharp

What is the rocomendation for Version II? Ae they adequate as is? wallace.tharp
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 AM
CK1

The V2 may work for a while, but in my opinion will eventually fail at the most inconvenient moment
The v2 can be upgraded to the V3
Old 10-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Tone Price

ORIGINAL: wallace.tharp

What is the rocomendation for Version II? Ae they adequate as is? wallace.tharp

CK1 is correct, please email [email protected] about your Version II retracts. While they may last it's just best to switch them out at this point. However, we may not have your gear in stock, so always contact us before sending them back. We're continuing to get gear in but we would rather you just fly the V2 in the down and locked position rather than wait on ESM! Once we would get the gear in it would be no problem to switch you out.

On the other hand , 2.5 should be fine but as always with your entire plane keep an eye on all components! Make sure your 2.5 rubber bumpers are staying put.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
splais

Man I absolutely hate the fact I have to buy this cheap chinese crap. I have been waiting since early MAY for replacement gear for my T-6. First it was July, then it was october, now I have just been informed that it will be another 4-6 weeks before T-6 gear are available. You know what that really means - they have no idea! This really *ucks. Oh, I forgot I was suppose to fly it around with the gear down for the first nine months just to get used to it [] my rant is over
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Tone Price

@splais Sorry for the frustration, like I said we're in the same boat. We have been hounded ESM this entire time to get on it trust me. They are sending the gear as the make them, we just got 3 more "boxes" of gear in. It would be nice if they stuck to the dates they provided time after time but that has not been the case.

The good news is everyone will be taken care of. The bad news is some will have to wait longer than others. We appreciate everyone's patience with this and promise we will make good on any broken gear as soon as we can.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
splais

I don't blame TBM. You guys have been more than helpful. It's the overall situation with this chinese stuff, engines, gear, whatever; that they let the buying public work the bugs out and don't fix anything until the uproar gets out of hand.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Tone Price

ORIGINAL: splais

I don't blame TBM. You guys have been more than helpful. It's the overall situation with this chinese stuff, engines, gear, whatever; that they let the buying public work the bugs out and don't fix anything until the uproar gets out of hand.
Thank you. The Chinese are reactive when it comes to things. They think that us shipping back thousands of dollars of product + them paying for shipping + losing trust with their customers is better than thoroughly testing their product. It doesn't make sense to me either.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:59 AM
kahloq

I will need V3 actuators for the DO-335 gear. I have the v2 set currently.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Tone Price

Hi kahloq, please email [email protected] to get switched out for the new V3.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the V3's lift a decent scale wheel? Such as the ESM wheels supplied with the air gear.

Or do we have to stick to the lite weight foam types?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM
wallace.tharp

Tony, is there a cost to me for the upgrade from V2 to V3 for my P-39? I think Thomas at VQ Warbirds sold me the V2 when the V3was available, or just about to be available? Sincerely, wallace.tharp
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 AM
Tone Price

@BOLTMAN - There should be no problem with that. If you check out the quick running video on these you can see they're very fast/robust.

@wallace.tharp - It depends if you have 2, or 2.5. Please email [email protected] to see about options either way.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
wallace.tharp

Tone, thanks for the reply and keeping on top of this. I saw no writing or directions on the box for my ESM P-39 gear. Is there writing on the control box or somewhere to indicate if it's V2 or V2.5? And again, "what is the cost to me?" Thanks. wallace.tharp
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 AM
Tone Price

wallace.tharp - Looking at your order through VQ you should have the 2.5 gear. These gear should be fine as long as the rubber bumpers stay on. If they do happen to fail please email Tomas. You should also be able to return them then purchase the V3 through Tomas if you haven't used them though I do not know his policies so check with him. The V3 gear is the same price as the 2.5.

If you need help hooking them up please shoot Tomas or us at TBM a call/email: [email protected]
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Tone, any idea when the V3s for the models with rotating units will be available?

Also, is there a plan to sell just the retracts units without the struts or wheels? I have a few models from CMP that I would like to use the ESM gear on but I already have struts and wheels that are the proper length.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

anyone know if the ones for the ESM P-40 will work on the Top Flite P-40?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.