Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to loosen hinges

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to loosen hinges

Old 10-14-2012, 05:55 AM
PDF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to loosen hinges

Hello all,
Any tips on freeing up the hinge joints (I'm using Dubro hinges). The control surfaces are a little sticky, not as free as I'd like. I was thinking putting a drop of denatured alchol and working it, but would this degrade the glue? Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW I put vaseline on the hinge before installing.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to loosen hinges

It is possible that when you installed the hinges, all of the hinge pins were not in line with one another, in which case, you may be stuck with what you have.

Les
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 AM
PDF

Hi Les,
I always check that's is straight, also the slots were originally CA slots which I increased the size for Dubro. I'm thinking that maybe where the barrel part of the hinge was rubbing against the wood maybe some glue got in there and increased the resistance. When I install them I give a little more throw than recommended by the manufacturer to reduce the hinge gap, but when I got done it seems that the throws are reduced alittle (but still within manufactures specs) I'd like them to be where I set them and be very free throwing.
Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

It is not unusual for glue to get in between the hinge and the pin when installing plastic hinges, which I like very much, especially when using epoxy. To help overcome this I always trial fit them and when installing just put a dab of vaseline along the pin line.

Karol
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Acetone will dissolve CA glue. Alcohol (including ethanol, methanol and isopropyl) will not. If you used epoxy you may be able to scrape it off the hing joint with a small blade. Pretty much nothing will dissolve epoxy.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dremel them apart with a cut-off wheel, and move over a 1/2" and install all new hinges. You will never get rid of the glue or make the old hinges move freely - been there, done that.

Kurt
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Are these the flat hinges? What glue did you use? I've had to cut flat hinges before and used the slot machine (very carefully) to cut a new slot in the same place. If you used epoxy, a modified razor blade or square tip exacto blade in a solder iron would loosen epoxy up. Keeping in mind you have to be real careful doing this or you ruin the existing slot. In that case, you glue a plug in and re-slot it. If round hinge points (I have mostly robart and gp), I use a dremel to route them out and re-glue using gorilla glue.
Edwin
Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

Ever think of putting a little earl on them?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:28 AM
JECraig

I have used the solvents& tried to pick at the glue to free them up. I have had little success freeing up hinges in general. I have had them loosen with use. GenerallyI have failed to align the hinges properly in all axis. One binds against another as they are moved. Prehaps just one is the offending character & can be replaced?

Canopy glue is the best glue & most forgiving glue to put them in with.