Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Battle of the Brands

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
KnifeEdge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battle of the Brands

What are your favorite Tx/Rx and component brands? What are the major difference between the big names like Futaba, JR, and the like? I have yet to conform to the 2.4Ghz revolution; my trusty 72Mhz 7 channel Futaba Conquest hasn't left my side since I got it and seems to be bullet proof (fingers crossed). Anyone else out there still rockin the old skool Tx's?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battle of the Brands

Here we go......................by the way, what oil does everyone use? [X(]
Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 AM
NikolayTT

Not all RC offer the same posibilities, telemety for example.
Could someone answer the question of 'Just_a_noob' in a bit more
friendly manner please ?
How about some Moderator help ?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 AM
DougV

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Here we go......................by the way, what oil does everyone use? [X(]
Olive...
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 AM
NikolayTT

Guys, use Twiter please for such 'smart oil answers' and if you know something real about the Question, then write it here.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 AM
NikolayTT

Try this link
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10970722/tm.htm
quite a lot to read but right in the topic.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Just_a_noob

What are your favorite Tx/Rx and component brands? What are the major difference between the big names like Futaba, JR, and the like? I have yet to conform to the 2.4Ghz revolution; my trusty 72Mhz 7 channel Futaba Conquest hasn't left my side since I got it and seems to be bullet proof (fingers crossed). Anyone else out there still rockin the old skool Tx's?
What type/size of models are you really going to be flying?
If you are not into Bind n Fly -then get any size type brand which fits your wallet and hands
If all you really want is to be on 2.4 - get a modular tx even a used one and plug in the protocol available, you want.

If you want current technology in tx and rx plus the features possible on 2.4-then you have to do some thorough product research.
be careful, there are some tx/rx on the market which are really orphans ! They are not compatible even in their own brand.r
Old 10-16-2012, 06:33 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite? Currently, my Spektrum DX8. Features I like - rubberized sides on the TX, makes for a secure grip. I don't like flying with a neckstrap. I like the model match feature, I switch models frequently. Mostly I fly race planes, and when you're flying two or three different classes, you switch back and forth a lot, and knowing that if the receiver responds you're on the correct model is a good thing.

Before that, JR 8103 and 9303 because I like the way they felt in my hands.

Before that - Futaba 7uafs. Never let me down, either.

Been flying RC since 1973, used quite a few different radios, and most any of the new ones are better than what we had back then!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 AM
woodie

As rmh said, the first question should be 'what do I need from a radio?' Someone flying gliders may have different needs from someone flying helicopters. Since you are using a Futaba Conquest, the logical question is what does the Conquest not do that you currently need or can think of for the near future. After you determine what your requirements are, I would recommend 2 things:

1. Check what radios your fellow fliers are using. Stepping up from a Conquest to a newer radio introduces a lot of additional capability and having people around you that know how to program the newer radios is a big benefit.
2. Go to your local hobby shops and actually hold the radios you are interested in. Or ask your fellow fliers if you can hold their tx. Some are lighter or wider or whatever. Make sure you like the way the radio feels, the stick and switch positions, does the radio feel balanced for the way you hold it.

All the current major brands work very well. Sure there is the occasional issue which is typically blown way out of proportion by someone posting about a problem and all the 'experts' piling on and telling the owner they shouldn't have bought that radio, etc. In actuality, the number of successful flights vs the flights with true radio failures is staggering but to read the forums, you get the impression Radio XYZ has a high failure rate and no one should buy it.

I fly one of the major brands, have for years. Personally, I think is is a good solid radio with a solid rf link. But, that doesn't make my brand right for everyone. Local support when you are learning to program your new radio is very important. No sense in you reinventing the wheel using the programming capabilities of your new radio.

As far as the jump to 2.4G, don't worry about it. 2.4G is much more convenient (and robust) than 72mhz due to dramatically reduced interference exposure (fellow flier turning on your frequency, etc). I don't own any 72mhz gear anymore, haven't for several years.

Another thing to note (wait a second while I put my flame suit on) is the people that crashed a lot on 72mhz are still crashing a lot on 2.4G and still claiming radio failure. Funny how that works. 2.4G didn't magically fix their poor radio installations, poor airborne rx power setups, or poor piloting skills. You would think the radio manufacturers would have built systems that handled that.... ;-)

Woodie
Old 10-16-2012, 06:52 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I still am using a Fut 8UAF converted to 2.4 with a Frsky module.

Karol
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

The differences in brands has to do with the style of programming, the look and feel of the transmitter, and the variety of receivers available for the aircraft you like to fly. Go to your local RC flying site, RC club, and see what your peers are using. Go to an LHS or an RC trade show, feel the equipment, and ask questions.

If you purchase the same brand radio as the pilots in your RC club or area, you can get help in operation and programming and ensure your installation and setup are correct for that type aircraft.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: NikolayTT

friendly manner please ?

Here's my problem with your request.

First, which question? The one about what MY favorite radio system might be? That does no one any good. It's my opinion of what fits my needs, not his/her's or anyone else's so the purpose is what? If it matters, I prefer Spektrum/JR but have others.

Second, of course there are others in RC world still using 72 and it isn't that hard to find one or two.

Lastly, a little searching and you can pull up novels of information in the differences between 72 and 2.4.

Point is (at least in my way of thinking) asking the first two questions I've referenced are a great way to start a "my radio vs. your radio" debate and that's about all. In other words, no point.

Have a great evening.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM
BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

ORIGINAL: NikolayTT

friendly manner please ?

Here's my problem with your request.

First, which question? The one about what MY favorite radio system might be? That does no one any good. It's my opinion of what fits my needs, not his/her's or anyone else's so the purpose is what? If it matters, I prefer Spektrum/JR but have others.

Second, of course there are others in RC world still using 72 and it isn't that hard to find one or two.

Lastly, a little searching and you can pull up novels of information in the differences between 72 and 2.4.

Point is (at least in my way of thinking) asking the first two questions I've referenced are a great way to start a ''my radio vs. your radio'' debate and that's about all. In other words, no point.

Have a great evening.
+1
Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 PM
KnifeEdge540

I was just seeking opinions from others' experience with a variety radio equipment as I have little of my own experience. Thanks all for your comments!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:20 PM
collector1231

I'm an RC Car guy, but my vote counts. I'm a fan of the Traxxas Transmitters, but I'm the biggest fan of the Spektrum DX3c. Great, affordable radio.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM
oliveDrab

I've been using my trusty Futaba 7 channel T7CHP since 2005 and have never ever had any issues with it. I've asked RC guys with more experience than myself if there is anything wrong with staying with 72Mhz and I've never heard anything negative about staying with my Futaba 72Mhz. There was a guy at a jet fly in Arizona (a real pro!) and I asked him if there was any reason why I shouldn't fly a jet with a 72Mhz radio. He looked really confused at my question and said there was nothing wrong with using 72Mhz. He was using a Ham radio channel by the way.

There is an issue with my Futaba however. If I connect the timer to the throttle such that the timer increments when the throttle is advanced the right aileron stops working. I checked this out on Futaba's website which indicated there is a problem with the transmitter firmware and the radio should be sent in for an update to the firmware. So some day I'll send it in. And when I do......guess what? I'll get out my Airtronics Vanguard 72Mhz which is even older!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM
KnifeEdge540

I heard from a guy at my field that a 72Mhz signal was stronger and has a much larger range than the 2.4 systems. Although susceptible to interference, the FM signal isn't as affected by obstructions such as trees or distance
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM
aknitroguy
My Feedback: (82)

I can't believe a new member asking a simple question gets met with such a hostile, sarcastic remark. If you can't answer his question why bother posting? People like you make new members fear being flamed on by "the experts" and their smug opinions rather than a simple answer for a fellow modeler. It is people like you that drive others away from RCU and all the good folks here who do actually have something friendly to contribute.
Have a great Day!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 PM
oliveDrab

I heard from a guy at my field that a 72Mhz signal was stronger and has a much larger range than the 2.4 systems. Although susceptible to interference, the FM signal isn't as affected by obstructions such as trees or distance
Glad to hear about the strength of the 72Mhz signal and will investigate to verify it's strength. As for distance......I remember the time when I was flying my Sig Kadet Senior (with Futaba T7CHP) at the Tangerine Road field near Marana, Az (north of Tucson). I was a newbie and it was a windy day. A south wind caught it and before I knew it the Kadet Senior was a dot in the sky way off in the distance. Even at that great distance the Futaba accurately controlled the plane. Only thing was I really couldn't see that far and my newbie control inputs created some pilot-induced oscillations and I augered in. After a long hike through the desert I found my beloved Sig Kadet Senior in pieces with a coyote nervously circling around it. The bridgework construction of the SIG Kadet Senior does not survive an impact with the desert floor.

As you can tell, I support continued use of 72Mhz - for myself anyway. But I'm really cheap so when I say I'm satisfied with my Futaba 72Mhz.......that's mostly poverty talking. And laziness too. I just want to continue with what works well for me. I'm sure there are 2.4 Ghz proponents that will chime in. If I was willling to part with the cash ($300? $400?) I would look into 2.4Ghz.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 PM
KnifeEdge540

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate accident! That flying field, however, is no more. Politics there eventually unravelled the organization and The Sonoran Desert Flyers moved to two different locations and changed their name. But anyways, I really like my 72Mhz radio but I would like to get a radio with model memory so I don't have to keep readjusting the dang trim settings haha.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

As you can tell, I support continued use of 72Mhz - for myself anyway. But I'm really cheap so when I say I'm satisfied with my Futaba 72Mhz.......that's mostly poverty talking. And laziness too. I just want to continue with what works well for me. I'm sure there are 2.4 Ghz proponents that will chime in. If I was willling to part with the cash ($300? $400?) I would look into 2.4Ghz.
I still fly my Futaba 7C 72Mhz radio system fairly regularly. It's still a good choice, but I've lost a couple of planes over the years to 72Mhz interference; a third was crashed but repairable. I've been flying with Airtronics 2.4Ghz over the last four years without a single lock out, brown out, or radio glitch.

If you want a really high quality 2.4Ghz computer radio without having to spend a lot, check out the Airtronics SD-6g radio system. Hobby People has it on sale right now for $149.99, it offers really high quality and great ergonomics all for an incredibly low price:

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...-w-rx600.html#

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...itfile_id/133/

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

But anyways, I really like my 72Mhz radio but I would like to get a radio with model memory so I don't have to keep readjusting the dang trim settings haha.
If that's the case, I would look for a transmitter that has a replaceable module system from Futaba since you already have a Conquest. This is not to say that JR or Spektrum or any other system wouldn't be as good but currently, there are limited choices that allow you that flexibility. For example, any of these would work: 7U, 8U, 9C or 10C but none are currently available from a vendor. The 10CG has integrated 2.4 modulation. The 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ are still available with modules but you are going to pay a much higher price than a Conquest ever set you back. The good news is that there are plenty of excellent condition used ones out there in R/C world and I would wager there are some that are still NIB just sitting in someone's closet.

If you're not stuck on using a Futaba, the Hitec Aurora 9 is a modular system also and I believe their FM system is compatible.

I'll be honest with you though, one of my favorite radios, one I gave to my son when I got the 10C, was my 9C. I had a synthesized FM module for it and a Spektrum module for flying the foamies and Bind'N'Fly models. Only hassle was the antenna having to be replaced. But you could also use the Futaba 2.4ghz TM8 module and even the stick on Tactic Anylink TX-R module if you wanted. Truly a flexible system. Same can be done with the 10C but different Futaba 2.4 module, only much better programming than the 9C in my opinion.

You might want to look into this option. Good luck on what you decide.

Regards,
John
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM
KnifeEdge540

Ah excellent suggestions! I'm not totally stuck on Futaba, it's just what I am used to. The Airtronics radio posted earlier in this thread has peaked my interest
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 PM
BuschBarber

If you are considering the Futaba 9C because it is a Modular radio, I would like to point out that it only has 9 channels in PCM mode and the 9th channel is Non Proportional, so it is basically an On/Off switch. Since any of the 2.4 Modules require the 9C to be in PPM mode, you will only have 8 channels with those modules, including the Futaba 2.4 module.

I owned the 9C and ultimately switched to the JR XP9303, which is also a Modular radio. As with the 9C, I had a Synthesized 72Mhz RF Module, however, there were a number of features of the 9303 that made this radio more attractive. First of all, I have 9 proportional channels in PPM as well as PCM. I have Flaps on a Switch and 3 Flight Modes. I purchased the Spektrum 2.4 RF Module and have 9 channels as well. I prefer the programming in the 9303 over that in the 9C. I still use this radio today and have no issues with either 72Mhz or Spektrum DSM2 2.4. It will also accept other manufacturers 2.4 modules.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

ORIGINAL: aknitroguy

I can't believe a new member asking a simple question gets met with such a hostile, sarcastic remark. If you can't answer his question why bother posting? People like you make new members fear being flamed on by "the experts" and their smug opinions rather than a simple answer for a fellow modeler. It is people like you that drive others away from RCU and all the good folks here who do actually have something friendly to contribute.
Have a great Day!
+1
Tri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.