Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting back into RC.... Maybe in too deep already?

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Getting back into RC.... Maybe in too deep already?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
jtcrowder49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into RC.... Maybe in too deep already?

Hi all, I'm back in the game after moving off to college and having more free time to spare. I won't bore you with all the details. In short, Dad and I used to fly about 8 years ago. I'm 20 now and moving off to college I have more time to spare, and I would like to use it flying instead of drinking like most young adults here in Tuscaloosa (Roll Tide!). I'm here to ask advice on some problems I am encountering. Getting back into the swing of things, I bought an Extra 300 from Parkzone and I have my DX6i. Let me say I am happy with my plane choice, however I still can't seem to fly it fully on my own. There are some great people at my local field who have trimmed out my plane, flown, and set up my transmtter for me so the plane is set up correctly. Now I have flown the plane myself on a buddy box with a few different members on calm days and windy days. Many of the guys compliment me on how well I can fly the plane taking into account it is not a trainer plane by any means. However, I have began to feel embarrased that many members believe I can solo but I'm still feeling a bit hesitant. I don't particularly want to crash my first plane after being out for a few years. Then again I feel I should just go for it and whatever happens.....happens. Other members have also said to take a step back and buy a highwing trainer with ailerons, but I don't know if that is the best thing. What do you guys think? What would be the best direction for myself? Please remember I have a full understanding of all the control function of my plane. I never really have any problem losing my orientation, and I've flown before. Should I just ramp my expo up from 40% to something higher? 60%? 70%? 80%? I'm lost here and would like to not spend a whole lot of money. My idea was that I wouldn't outgrow this plane too soon, now it seems I can't keep up

Edit: I also have Phoenix 4, but all the time I spend doesn't seem to be helping.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Gohmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting back into RC.... Maybe in too deep already?

Fly the hell out of it on your own! It's just a cheap foamy. Sell the phoenix and buy some glue for the foamy. Simulators are worthless.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM
jzrf6c

Don't listen to those that say simulaters are worthless. I've seen way to many young pilots that have practiced all winter on the simulator come out and solo their first time at the field in the spring!

I myself keep up my skills by using my simulator when I can't make it to the field for awhile. There is no replacement for practice.

I'm sure you will do OK in your solo. Just remember, "LEAD don't FOLLOW".
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
jtcrowder49

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I guess I will just go for it on my next time out. Glue is always readily avaliable.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:13 PM
knifemaker

I too have a Parkzone Extra. I am on the second fuselage and it wears a lot of scars. Go ahead and solo it. Keep it high,keep it simple ( just turn some laps), shoot some passes at the runway, try a touch and go (mine floats forever). Once you have "calibrated" yourself on approach, touch down and roll out. The extra can fly fairly slow but will try to sucker you into flying above your ability. I have quite a few planes now and always do a warm-up with an old Parkzone Cub to settle the nerves and sample the breezes. It is supposed to be fun. If you aren't having fun, step back a bit and fly something comfortable.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Tluu
My Feedback: (85)

Go ahead and fly solo, but keep in mind that the extra 300 is an arabatic plane. You can set it on low rate with 50% expo, that should tame it a little, until you get use to it. Hopes this help and have fun with it.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Silentrun

First post here, I use the simulator to "warm up" then hit the field. Turn wind up a bit on the sim to keep it more difficult and it's easier in the real world.

Good luck.