Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which radio is better?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM
jruleon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio is better?

I'm currently looking to buy my first nice radio and can use some advice on which might be better. I'm not doing any racing now but might be in the future. The radios I was looking at are the airtronics mt4, the spektrum dx3s and the spektrum dx3r pro. I like the fact all three have telemetry capabilities but am wondering how hard it is or if its even possible to set up the rpm sensor to work with my b4.1 and t4.1. It's my understanding you need to place the sensor right next to the spur gear but since the gear box is closed on these cars is that possible? Any opinions on which of these radios might better than the others would really be appreciated. Also if it is the spektrum you would recommend is the extra money worth it for the pro over the 3s. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 PM
tabrown

Default RE: Which radio is better?

I have had both the DX3S and the DX3R (Current radio) I Liked the DX3S alot, telemetry only worked if I was in the middle of no where (very spotty connection). My DX3R Iabsolutelylove, 30 model memory and such? It's almost the perfect radio for me, but for the money if you are just starting out and want Spektrum, get the DX3S. I usually buy used recievers so they range around $20 or less.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if u really want telemerty look into what the traas TQi can do, and its more reliable than the spectrum controllers.
But they are only really worth it if u have a iphone or ipod touch
Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
tabrown

That is why I favor my DX3R, My IPOD touch has the battery life of 15min. Plus the TQI transmitter just feels cheap to me, I also feel it would be very front heavy. None the less I love the app you use for it and how it is set up.
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

if u really want telemerty look into what the traas TQi can do, and its more reliable than the spectrum controllers.
But they are only really worth it if u have a iphone or ipod touch
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 PM
phmaximus

Ive heard people say that before "it feels cheap"

What on earth does that mean?
Its made from the same plastic as every other remote?
is it because there is no chrome?
or is it because its too light?

Ive had mine appart modding the 3rd CH switch, and I can assure that its well built and very sound. Every thing internally is held in with screws no dodgy glue at all. There is no chance of breaking the areial like most remotes & compared to most other remotes the TQi is very drop proof, the older remotes the battery cover would fall off with batteries going everywhere, not the Tqi. and there is no screen to smash, A ipod or Iphone easly docks with the adjustable holder that suits every cover including the survivor cases... most of those cases can take a 1.6m fall with out any problems. & I would bet a good amount of money that a TQi controller could take a 1.6m fall easly problary even a 3m fall Dont think a DX3s or DX3r could take that punishment

For the guys that say it feels cheap.
Would some weights make it better, maby some gold plating

Seriously tho whats wrong with the TQi?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had mine appart modding the 3rd CH switch, and I can assure that its well built and very sound. Every thing internally is held in with screws no dodgy glue at all. There is no chance of breaking the areial like most remotes & compared to most other remotes the TQi is very drop proof, the older remotes the battery cover would fall off with batteries going everywhere, not the Tqi. and there is no screen to smash, A ipod or Iphone easly docks with the adjustable holder that suits every cover including the survivor cases... most of those cases can take a 1.6m fall with out any problems. & I would bet a good amount of money that a TQi controller could take a 1.6m fall easly problary even a 3m fall Dont think a DX3s or DX3r could take that punishment

Its from traxxas. Joking, I don't have one so I have no say in that

Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 AM
phmaximus

Lol so true...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if I had an Ipod, I'd look at the TQi.  That feature along with the app is one of the coolest things I've seen. IF I can afford the new Traxxas Rally car, it comes with a TQi.  Then I'd probably, finally, have to upgrade to an iPhone...... Hmmm...that could be an expensive new RC car....
Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Yeah, if I had an Ipod, I'd look at the TQi. That feature along with the app is one of the coolest things I've seen. IF I can afford the new Traxxas Rally car, it comes with a TQi. Then I'd probably, finally, have to upgrade to an iPhone...... Hmmm...that could be an expensive new RC car....
trust me if you like talking to people don't
I know 4 iphone 4 users, and honestly the call quality is the worst I've ever heard. One guy I know actually owns another cellphone for talking to people, and just uses the iphone for texting, and everything else...
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know Apple is taking over the world and all but, why couldn't they have written the software for both i-devices and Android devices? They could sell two different docks and maybe this radio would appeal to a broader market.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a DX3s and sold it to buy a TQi and used iPod Touch and couldn't be happier. The DX3s wasn't really a bad radio, but I never could get the telemtry working consitently and the range was pretty short.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM
tabrown

Maybe that's what it is, It's too light. See I don't like the idea of having a $400 phone ( how much do Iphones go for now?) or a $200 (same as the Iphone no idea how much) media player on my radio. With my luck (everyone is different) I would drop it or somehow it would get destroyed. I bought my DX3S for $60 used, everything worked fine, and if it got damaged I wasn't TOO worried ( I was still worried). I bought my DX3R for $100 which being the money obsessed 18 year old I baby it! I just wouldn't want to have my phone or my Ipod and such on my radio. I prefer the built in screen and such, which others have different opinions (not trying to start a huge fight).