Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

a 2nd plane for me

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

a 2nd plane for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
brhinaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a 2nd plane for me

hello all, im new here, so thanks for any help. my question, i want to start looking for a good 2nd plane, and a plane that i will be able to have for a while. so far i have only flown 2 different trainers. hanger 9 40 size trainer and hobbico 60 size trainer. i want to stick with the 60 size and i also want to stick with the glow/gas power system. here are the planes im interested in. ialready havea futaba 9cap radio so im good withbeing able to set things up conservatively. please give pros and cons thanks again

1.great planes u-can-do ?
2 hanger 9 freenzy
3 hanger 9 ultra stick 60 / no longer made / so will be really hard to find a nice one
4. hanger 9 pulse 60
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 AM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: a 2nd plane for me

All good choices.  Which style you prefer would be the deciding factor for me.  I have been wanting to build/fly the U can do for awhile just because I like its look.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
opjose

The U-Can-Do is a wonderful 3D flyer, but it is a purposely built light plane, so you'll find it to be very weak in terms of taking abuse.

Usually your second plane gets the most abuse so the UCD is not a great choice IMHO. The same is true with the Frenzy.

The Pulse 60 is a good candidate, but novices tend to rip out the gear quite quickly and repeatedly.

Consider instead a GP Big Stik which is MUCH more rugged than any of those planes and a blast to fly.

I can hover and torque roll mine btw....

It is a great fun fly plane and you'll love it's flight characteristics.

It is trivially easy to repair, lands easily ( sorry GB but IMHO it is MUCH easier than the Pulse to land and because of the long tail has no yaw at run-up, we are using them as primary trainers next year because of their easy landings... ), loves high winds, can be used as an engine break-in platform, and does just about anything you would want.

You'll never grow tired of it.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I teach both flying and building so after a student has soloed if they want to learn to build too I use the 4*60, it's a nice second plane with no bad habits. The Pulse 60 is almost the same plane. One of my students went right into ARFs after learning to fly and bought the Pulse. I'm not a ARF guy myself but I have been very impressed with the way the Pulse is built and flys. It's a great second plane and will allow you to start learning stunt flying. Any of the sticks are a good choice too but the Pulse is an easier plane to fly and land. For me it would be the Pulse or stick.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
dignlivn

GP Stik , great 2nd plane.

Bob
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM
brhinaz

thanks for the responses so far. sounds like the u-can-do and freenzy might be to lightly builts. thanks for that info. for those of you who have seen the sticks, who makes a better one
hanger 9 ultra stick 60 or great planes big stick 60 ? i would like to make either one of them into a tail dragger ? again all, thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The G.P. Big Stik is fairly easy to convert to a tail dragger.  My second R/C powered model was a Stik tail dragger and it is a super choice for a second model.  Lost mine in my only ever mid-air.

The Pulse 60 is a very nice model as well.   
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I just converted my GP Stik 60 to a tail dragger and couldn't be more pleased.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: brhinaz

thanks for the responses so far. sounds like the u-can-do and freenzy might be to lightly builts. thanks for that info. for those of you who have seen the sticks, who makes a better one
hanger 9 ultra stick 60 or great planes big stick 60 ? i would like to make either one of them into a tail dragger ? again all, thanks for the help
In the .60 size the H9 Stik has flaps while the GP Stik does not.

However IMHO the H9 Stik simply doesn't need them.

On my Giant GP Stik, I NEVER use the flaps as such and instead turned them into inboard ailerons.

You get the same effect on the GP .60 Stik as it has big "barn door" ailerons.

Of the two I favor the GP Stik in terms of ruggedness. The H9 Stik is a slightly more agile flyer when properly equipped as it is a bit lighter.

Since this will become your most used plane ( trust us it WILL be so! ) I'd say Stik with the GP Stik. It's easier to repair because of the rather solid colors used.

On my first .60 I pulled off the Iron Crosses with a bit of heat from a heat gun and replaced them with USAF "Meatballs".

Ugly Stiks can be pretty too... ( heh ).

Old 10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
bikerbc

I have a Pulse and I love it it is a fantastic flyer. It will do everything you want it to do and it is so easy to land...they cost more than a stick but they are nicer to look at...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:07 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pulse was my second plane. It is in my trailer, ready to fly. Never leave home without it. The only reason it doesn't get flown much is due to me moving to gas rather than glow.......but it's ready when I am.

That said, you can't go wrong with a stick either. One of my instructors had one and that plane was a great flyer.

Just my thought but pick the one that appeals to you the most. Both are fine planes and you can't make a mistake by choosing either.