Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Get started

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Get started

Hi all,

After 3 years of relax, i thought i should get back to f3a.
My 2 Integrals with Comp 14XL, should be in good shape, but i need new batteries , reg and possible new transmitter. I guess there have been some few updates during these years, and i need to check whats going on.

Reg; i can see both futaba and jeti (mezon)has some new reg's. Been happy with my spin99, but i need another one. Any recomodations about these, working together with my 14XL ?

Batteries; Tried alot, everyone of them working well. Anyone tried the zippy series 'k' and 'compact' ?

Transmitter; My old Graupner mc24 have been flawless, but age are catching it up. I can see jeti is comming with some interesting stuff here, but i thought i should stay with something that have been around for a while, simply because i like to get good info about setup and so on from other users. I guess all brands have good equipments, and the market is huge. I just need to narrow it down to some few. In fact it will be used for the p- programs, and it need to have all the stuff 'normally used' for this. What do you think about the JR12X?

Nice to be here again,
Thanks in advance
Kjell Olav
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Get started

Current Master Spin Pro 99, Spin 99, OS/Futaba 110 (a little bit heavier) all works well based on others' I am planning on replacing the Master Comp with OS/Futaba 110.

Zippy Compact seems to work well

JR 12X (mode 2 TX/RX version) has been discontinued in the US. I believe there will be a new transmitter with new modulation that incorporate telemetry. So far no announcement from JR.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Kjell,

The 12X is a good radio, but if I had to make a recommendation, I would give my blessing to either the JR XG11 or the Spektrum DX18. I have flown both in F3A applications and both are fantastic transmitters. The DX18 and XG11 are both current generation radios; there is nothing wrong with the 12X, I have one and I love it very much.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:15 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PatternFlyer

JR 12X (mode 2 TX/RX version) has been discontinued in the US. I believe there will be a new transmitter with new modulation that incorporate telemetry. So far no announcement from JR.
I've heard that too and it aggravates me to no end. It really pinches my but that their intent is to make their newradios incompatible with older systems. That means all new RXs and may mean new servos too?? That and the fact that any existing RX in my stable won't work with their new technology.

If you are just starting out I'd say wait for the new systems to come out before committing

I've flown JR for 30+ years but I have to rethink if Futaba/Airtronics may notpresent better choices.....
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks for all input, preciate it,
Regarding the transmitter; what i basically need, except the basic features that most transmitters have, is some good curve mixers and stick-position-mixers. I guess i need to lean against the mid- to top end transmitter to have this...

I can wait if there is a 'generation change' going on in the near future. ''Tray or hand-hold'' types does not matter, can use them both.

Kjell Olav

Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Rune

Welcome back Kjell Olav!
I know there has been one issue with a 14 xl and the OS reg ..burning the motor not sure why this happend if it was the motor or esc.
I just got my hand on the new Jeti Mezon its not as light as I thought same as the Spinn but it should have some telemetri possiblility at least if you fly Jeti radio, I have Futaba so dont think I get that.
On radio's lots off 14 mz that you get cheap if you want used , but there are others also lots off nice new stuff to buy!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM

Hi Rune,
Thanks, looking forward to start all over!

I think i will be practicing alone next year at our field, using my dog as judge... Who cares, enjoying P13 in nice weather is the best what so ever!

Ok, the spin99 work in the mean time, no flaws with it. Sure, alot of nice stuff out there, will be spending some time to check it out.

Kjell Olav
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Henning

Welcome back Kjell Olav!

Your Integrals are still competitive. So is your C50/Spin 99 combo.

As for lipos. The lipos you by today are better than those you bought 3 years ago. They will last longer and are cheaper. My Hyperion CX packs have currently 186 cycles and have been used for two seasons.
Radio: I would not bought a new radio today that don’t support telemetry with the capability to measure accumulated used mAh. The only two brands that have that capability as I know of and can take the high amps of a F3A model are Graupner and Jeti. JR is limited to 70 or 80 A (I think) and I exceeds that at static measure. I just bought the Jeti radio to test this winter. If my offseason practise plane don’t fall down from the sky I will use it for F3A the next season instead of my 14MZ.

Regards,
Henning
Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Rune

As for lipos. The lipos you by today are better than those you bought 3 years ago. They will last longer and are cheaper. My Hyperion CX packs have currently 186 cycles and have been used for two seasons.
Radio: I would not bought a new radio today that don’t support telemetry with the capability to measure accumulated used mAh. The only two brands that have that capability as I know of and can take the high amps of a F3A model are Graupner and Jeti. JR is limited to 70 or 80 A (I think) and I exceeds that at static measure. I just bought the Jeti radio to test this winter. If my offseason practise plane don’t fall down from the sky I will use it for F3A the next season instead of my 14MZ.
How is the Programming possibilities and "friendliness" on the Jeti compare to the 14 MZ?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 AM

Hi Henning, thanks!

Good to see you guys still going strong!

...Interesting,
consumed amp feedback would be a nice feature, among with some other telemetry data... youre right, good idea to look into the future when buying, hopefully i will keep the tx for long time...

I guess we will see some graupner and jeti then. Will these be the DC16 (jeti) and the MC32 (graupner) ?

Thanks

Kjell Olav
Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 AM
anders12

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Henning!

You are forgetting Multiplex amongst the radiosystems with capability to measure accumulated current usage. I`ve been using this system this season with good results. The measurments from the telematry system are very close to those seen when charging. The timer is now history I have a varning at 25% remaining battery capacity. Works flawlesly.

Regards Anders Johansson
Swedish F3A Champion 2012
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM

Good inputs guys, multiplex is another good brand signing up here.

I guess most of the mentioned brands here have both good curve mixers and stick-position-mixers beside the telemetry features.
I had a look at oystein hoelsater's futaba tx last year; he was very pleased using the stick-pos mixers. Less workload, better focus on spesific manuovers, instead of switching mode switches.

Any reports on the graupner mc32?
...Took some time to get it released, seems to me it took some ''back and forth'' about the transmitting system and so on... But if i am not wrong, the graupner guys get things straight at the end.

Thanks
Kjell Olav
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Henning

Rune:
The issue with the C50 and OS ESC was if I understood the owner correct that the timing was set to 24 degrees and not 0-5 as it should have been. The C50 got too worm due to high amps.

Rune:
The programing of the 14MZ is user-friendly. DC16 is NOT! But...the machining of the magnesium body and the gimbals are just a piece of art. The programing capabilities are more advanced and you can adjust more or less whatever you want. The DC16 has got a built in «Jetibox» for programing the failsafe. I am new to the Jetibox programing and find it really funny that such a pathetic interface is produced in 2012. The springs have been replaced with Radio South HD springs. I had to grind of some material inside the radio to make room for them. Those supplied are too soft for my taste.

Kjell Olav: yes it’s the DC16 and MC32

Sorry Anders, I was not aver of Multiplex and telemetry. Then we have another alternative.
Congratulations with the Swedish champ title!

Regards,
Henning
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Henning

ORIGINAL: 67685

Good inputs guys, multiplex is another good brand signing up here.

I guess most of the mentioned brands here have both good curve mixers and stick-position-mixers beside the telemetry features.
I had a look at oystein hoelsater's futaba tx last year; he was very pleased using the stick-pos mixers. Less workload, better focus on spesific manuovers, instead of switching mode switches.

Any reports on the graupner mc32?
...Took some time to get it released, seems to me it took some ''back and forth'' about the transmitting system and so on... But if i am not wrong, the graupner guys get things straight at the end.

Thanks
Kjell Olav
Kjell Olav you might find this interesting regarding the MC32.
http://www.f3a.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=630
It’s in Swedish.
Regards,
Henning

Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 AM

... hmm....
Interesting reading in your link about the mc32 Henning.

Personally, it seems to me they are still in the ''forth/back'' situation, which i believe they have been for a long time now... '' to pick the right lottery-ticket'' is not for me: i even don't win in a simple cake-lottery :-). Like the author of the article said; ''a picture tells more than a thousand word''.

Looking forward to hear about your experience of the DC16!

Kjell Olav

Old 10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

ORIGINAL: Henning

Rune:
The issue with the C50 and OS ESC was if I understood the owner correct that the timing was set to 24 degrees and not 0-5 as it should have been. The C50 got too worm due to high amps.

Rune:
The programing of the 14MZ is user-friendly. DC16 is NOT! But...the machining of the magnesium body and the gimbals are just a piece of art. The programing capabilities are more advanced and you can adjust more or less whatever you want. The DC16 has got a built in «Jetibox» for programing the failsafe. I am new to the Jetibox programing and find it really funny that such a pathetic interface is produced in 2012. The springs have been replaced with Radio South HD springs. I had to grind of some material inside the radio to make room for them. Those supplied are too soft for my taste.

Kjell Olav: yes it’s the DC16 and MC32

Sorry Anders, I was not aver of Multiplex and telemetry. Then we have another alternative.
Congratulations with the Swedish champ title!

Regards,
Henning

Henning,

C50 & OS/Futaba esc shouldn't have any problem. ESC has timeing adjustment from 0 ~ 25 degrees. Default is 14 degree. Yes, it must be lowered to work with C50. Another thing about the OS/Futaba ESC is that the programmer is a MUST. ESC manual only shows timing adjustment using the programmer.

Ihncheol
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Henning

@Ihncheol

I know. It’s not I who had the issue. I have now over 400 flight on the Futaba version. It is just the best ESC I have tried. I use it with the Pletty Advance.

Regards,
Henning
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 AM

I thought i should give my mc24 a chance next season. It's 7 year old now, relatively little used, and no winter operation. I replaced the 35 mhz with 2,4 spectrum dsm2 some year's ago, and been flawless since. Since i have to start all over, i really do not need an new transmitter right now. I will have more than enough to get back into the game; to get the ''sticks back in my fingers''
As far i can remember: some people has used the same tx for about 10 years without problems, except extensive usage has caused some pot wear (sticks and trim).
What do you guys think?

Thanks
Kjell Olav
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Ekvien

Welcome back Kjell Olav i rebuilt my old MC 22 to HOTT this spring and have more than 100 flights with zero issue. Why not attending the indoor event in Vaalerhallen just to say hi to old flying mates the 17th of November.