Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Loosing my mind - Cant start engine

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Loosing my mind - Cant start engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Loosing my mind - Cant start engine

Well, here's a degree wheel for setting that timing on the new system in case you don't have one. I made it for myself to use, and to give to people.

I hope you are planning to change the sensor too. I don't know if the one from the "blue box" system will work with other units, and yours could be suspect anyway.

(The pic is of my CMP Christen Eagle with a hopped up Homelite 30cc in it, taken near a tidal lagoon/flat where I used to fly in San Carlos, Mexico.)

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48148.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1653779  
Old 08-29-2011, 02:11 PM
prebres
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I am back again. I put new diaphragms in the carb and just now put the Rcexl ignition on. I have verified that it is working. Engine now fires, but doesnt catch and run. It will run for a second when choked but that is all. Please help...
Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After it fires and you continue to crank it...does the engine smoke out the exhaust a bit. How about kick-back...any of that? If you got a stock DLE sparkplug...throw that away....use a Honda NGK Brand CM6. Tell us more. Capt,n
Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

prebres

I feel your pain. I got a TYG 52CC From Hobbyking. This motor has been a love hate relationship with me. When I first got it it ran like a top. Put 1/2 gallon throw it on the stand, and it ran great. Put it in a cheap 540Edge and the motor became hard to start, and then after taking it to the flying feild (tried for 20min to get started) it started making a high pich sound and all my servos would jump around.

Got a replacement Spark controler and got it in the air once agin.

But the next day it wont start even with a electric starter.

I pulled the fuel cover of the carb off and found a lot of little metal peaces in the fuel screen.

After cleaning it out it ran for 1 more flight. Then it would not start once more.

I had a (Pro) look at it, and he we both belive the motor will prime but not keep pumping as when it dose start it will only run for 15 sec or so.

He then had me put my finger over the chock hole and we saw fuel squirtout the bottom of the carb!!! It would squirt out the carb were the thortle shaft was going throw the carb. He said that was my problem.

I only say this becouse I belive they both use the same carb.

And yes replace the plug with a NGK
Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 AM
prebres

Ok, guys, thanks. I am running a NGK CM-6 plug. I also tend to think the cab is not pumping. I rebuilt it on Sunday with a Walbro kit from my local Auto Parts store. (Diaphragms only). Now with the new RCexl Ignition and new Hall sensor I have no doubt that there is good spark at the proper time. So it's has to be fuel right?

After running on the choke for a second. After I open the choke it will pop and sputter. Engine gets warm, didnt notice any smoke. I'll try again today. I have both needles open 2 turns. I'll close the low speed down to 1 1/2 and see if it makes any difference.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 AM
captinjohn

Yoy are getting close....it sounds like it is set too rich....just lean it a tad at a time. Good luck and let us know as you go. Capt,n
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 AM
prebres

ok. Couple hours at the field today and I got it running. I had to start it at about half throttle and it doesn't want to idle. If I bring the trim up enogh to keep it idling then it turns to fast. Could this be a needle setting problem?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 AM
prebres

I flew it! The engine didn't die on me. But I have to keep the idle high. Just happy it's running at all you know.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
captinjohn

Nothing has been said about how goodthe compression is on this used engine. You may want to buy a Frank Bowman piston ring. The engine will have better compression and run good and strong witout much break-in time. Everbody can tell you about how much better USA rings are over China made ones. Franks are custom made for your engine. He will even fit it for you.

Best Regards Capt,n
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM
kerwin50

alot of times those cheap chinese spark plugs will give a man fits
Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Lightning Fan
My Feedback: (17)

Old thread, but I wanted to see what happened in the end.  prebres, did the engine ever turn into a winner for you?  Your last post had you with one flight and a high idle.  Did it become consistent?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 AM
prebres

With the RCXL ignition, it ran like a champ.