Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stampede Wheel Adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 AM
murcielago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampede Wheel Adapters?

I got a new suit and sneakers for my old 'pede, but since the wheels' offset is the same on all the new rims...well, now the front end is narrower than the rear end.

Are there adapters available, or do I have to change the front control arms?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Stampede Wheel Adapters?

I'm not aware of any special hexes.  I believe the stock hexes are a different offset from front to rear.  Make sure the thicker ones are up front.  Otherwise, check out this thread where someone installed Proline's Protrac suspension kit on their Stampede.  It looks pretty good!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ac-on-Stampede
Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 AM
murcielago

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

I'm not aware of any special hexes. I believe the stock hexes are a different offset from front to rear. Make sure the thicker ones are up front. Otherwise, check out this thread where someone installed Proline's Protrac suspension kit on their Stampede. It looks pretty good!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ac-on-Stampede
The old wheels did have different offset, but the new ones have the same offset...hence, narrower in front. I need to widen the front end so that they are even with the wider rear end. I thought for sure I'd have an answer by now from older 'pede owners that ran into the same problem.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You really have three options.

1 - Buy wheels with the correct offset for the front.
2 - Use the Slash rear arms on your Pede. This will narrow the rear and make it the same as the front.
3 - Jang Wide Pede Mod - http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/misc/...pede-wide-mod/
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 AM
BKoz559

I understand the wheel offset; that was Traxxas' brilliant way to use the same front end parts for the Bandit, Rustler, Stampede and Slash. But, as you've experienced, the rear ends are different for the Bandit and Slash while the Stampede and Rustler share the long arms. That's why Isuggested the Proline kit which would solve your problem, but at around $45 it's probably one of the more expensive choices.

John01374's #2 suggestion is a quick fix, but you will also need the correct upper camber links and you may have to shorten your drive shafts. I thought the Bandit arms were a more exact match, but I could be mistaken.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM
murcielago

I understand the wheel offset; that was Traxxas' brilliant way to use the same front end parts for the Bandit, Rustler, Stampede and Slash. But, as you've experienced, the rear ends are different for the Bandit and Slash while the Stampede and Rustler share the long arms. That's why I suggested the Proline kit which would solve your problem, but at around $45 it's probably one of the more expensive choices.

John01374's #2 suggestion is a quick fix, but you will also need the correct upper camber links and you may have to shorten your drive shafts. I thought the Bandit arms were a more exact match, but I could be mistaken.
I was thinking of something like this to widen the front end...or longer spindles with a thicker hex adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280892911858...84.m1436.l2649

I also found these, but not sure of the lenght. Of course, these would also need camber and turn buckle links if they are longer than stock.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330730166907...84.m1436.l2649

I don't race the truck. It's just for backyard fun and I'd hate to spend more than I have to, if not, might as well run it like it is with the dragster look.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 PM
BKoz559

The first thing is cool and Traxxas makes one themselves. This, however, means you need to use wheels with 17mm hexes which are 1/8 scale wheels. Since you already have a set of new wheels/tires this is probably not a good option.

You are correct about the second option, The Protrac arms are reportedly 11mm longer than the stock arms so you would need to match the rest of the components to fit.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:17 AM
murcielago

The first thing is cool and Traxxas makes one themselves. This, however, means you need to use wheels with 17mm hexes which are 1/8 scale wheels. Since you already have a set of new wheels/tires this is probably not a good option.
I'm confused because I thought they were 17mm longer/wider, and still 12mm hex. Maybe the description is wrong.
[/quote]

I just heard from a seller on ebay that the newer 'pedes have thicker front hexes to allow the use of same offset size wheels. If that's true, what would I need? Longer spindles, the thicker hexes.

What about these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Traxxas-...item3ccbaa9617
Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 PM
BKoz559

I'm sorry, I didn't read the entire description on that other link. Those do widen the stance by 17mm and still use the same 12mm hex. In your case if you used those then you would probably only need to use them up front and possibly move the stock front hexes to the rear. That might get you real close to being even. This will cause your front tires to scrub move while steering because the centerline of the kingpin is so far from the center of the wheel. The wheels will "swing" instead of pivot.

As for using the thicker front hexes; that won't do much because they are already used as stock pieces on the current trucks. The problem is that Traxxas simplified their manufacturing by using the same front suspension components on the Bandit, Rustler, Stampede and 2wd Slash. Sounds likes efficient business I suppose. But, it gets screwy in the rear end because the Bandit uses real short arms, the Slash uses medium arms and the Rustler and Stampede share long arms. That's why the stock wheels have such a wild offset between the front and rear.

John's earlier suggestion would get it done but, you have sort of created a different problem for yourself with the new wheels. Because they have a more conventional and matched offset, they don't extend out far enough so it looks like you will have rubbing issues against the body up front. This is why I was thinking of using the Proline kit or trying Jang's wide mod.

Lastly, if you're feeling frisky then you can use Acetone to remove the new tires from the new rims and likewise remove the old tires from the old rims. Then you can mount the new tires on the old rims and be done with it. This, of course, assumes that both sets are the same diameter.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 AM
murcielago

der
I'm sorry, I didn't read the entire description on that other link. Those do widen the stance by 17mm and still use the same 12mm hex. In your case if you used those then you would probably only need to use them up front and possibly move the stock front hexes to the rear. That might get you real close to being even. This will cause your front tires to scrub move while steering because the centerline of the kingpin is so far from the center of the wheel. The wheels will ''swing'' instead of pivot.

As for using the thicker front hexes; that won't do much because they are already used as stock pieces on the current trucks. The problem is that Traxxas simplified their manufacturing by using the same front suspension components on the Bandit, Rustler, Stampede and 2wd Slash. Sounds likes efficient business I suppose. But, it gets screwy in the rear end because the Bandit uses real short arms, the Slash uses medium arms and the Rustler and Stampede share long arms. That's why the stock wheels have such a wild offset between the front and rear.

John's earlier suggestion would get it done but, you have sort of created a different problem for yourself with the new wheels. Because they have a more conventional and matched offset, they don't extend out far enough so it looks like you will have rubbing issues against the body up front. This is why I was thinking of using the Proline kit or trying Jang's wide mod.

Lastly, if you're feeling frisky then you can use Acetone to remove the new tires from the new rims and likewise remove the old tires from the old rims. Then you can mount the new tires on the old rims and be done with it. This, of course, assumes that both sets are the same diameter.
Good call on the "scrub move" if using those 17mm extenders. I wonder how bad it would steer.

The hexes on my pede are all the same size for the front and back. My pede is old, I think it was the first version with a real brushed esc. I think I'll call it Gen II, because the first one had a big two piece controller. I looked at a photo of the newer style rear and front hexes, and it appears that the front hexes are nearly twice as thick as the rear.

Yes, the front tires now rub against the body when it turns hard since they are closer to the body than normal. So now the question is: Will the newer style wider hexes, installed in the front, widen it enough...or do I go with the wider arms, turn buckles, and camber links.

I've used the boiling, baking, and acetone method...and the acetone is hands down the best. Problem is two fold: 1. the new rims are purdy, and 2. they are a different size.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM
BKoz559

I see. I think your best bet is to find a way to widen the front arms. Basically a longer lower arm, camber link and steering link are needed. The new hexes aren't much thicker than the ones you have and won't offset the front end enough. I think they're only about 8 to 10mm at best. The old ones are around 6mm.

Look into the Jang's wide mod or the Proline Protrac components.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I thing the jang Wide mod will be your best option. The link I posted details the process and it’s really pretty easy once you sit down and look at it.

The one advantage using Slash rear arms give you is added tow in on the rear of the Pede. If you’ve ever driven the pede in dirt you know how tail happy it is. The Slash rear arms gives you around 3 degrees of rear toe in and really helps plant the back of the truck.

To do the conversion you’ll need Slash rear arms and Slash rear camber links. The drive shafts don’t need to be modified but you could cut 1/4 inch off of them if you really wanted to.

Using the slash arms on the rear will not solve the rubbing issue have on the front. If you decided to do the Slash arms I’d recommend new wheels with the wiser offset that is typically used on the front of a Pede. In other words you would now use traxxas Pede or Rustler FRONT wheels on all four corners.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 PM
murcielago

I see. I think your best bet is to find a way to widen the front arms. Basically a longer lower arm, camber link and steering link are needed. The new hexes aren't much thicker than the ones you have and won't offset the front end enough. I think they're only about 8 to 10mm at best. The old ones are around 6mm.

Look into the Jang's wide mod or the Proline Protrac components.
I agree. If I get these: http://prolineracing.com/performance...it-front-arms/ Which camber and steering links would I need? I can't find them on their website.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:00 PM
BKoz559

Camber links
Steering links
Rod ends (Traxxas TRA5525)

The rod ends are a stock Traxxas part so, you can find an online dealer that sells everything and get them all together. You will need to dump the stock screws because they are a special shoulder screw and use a 3mm machine screw with a lock-nut instead. Visit your local hardware store for that because I'm not sure how long you need, perhaps 12 or 15mm.

On a side note, Ijust picked up a Monster Jam Grinder Stampede from a guy on Craigslist yesterday. He blended soem parts with a 2wd Slash and at the moment it has Slash rear arms and camber links on it. I notice that the Slash arms are noticeably shorter than the Stampede arms but, they still aren't even with the front. The Slash rims have a very minor offset difference between the fronts and rears. I'm going to use the Slash rims on it which seem to look alright. It'll be a fun rig once I get it all setup.